Mystery and Crime Fiction posted January 21, 2019 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A look into Jen and Tommy's relationship.

A chapter in the book Eyes on You

First Date

by Mistydawn



Summary
Finding out his pregnant wife Jen needs a costly operation, Tommy turns to a life of crime
. They're in the middle of one of their jobs when the owners come home. Kirk is trying to see if the pawn shop owner has some stolen merchandise when armed thugs come in.

After a lengthy discussion, Tommy, Vinnie, and Larry were finally able to agree on what house they want to do next. Once they monitored it a little closer, came up with a plan of escape in case they find themselves in trouble again. This long deliberation made Tommy late for his visit with his wife.

I hope I can get there in time to see her. Tommy glances at his watch. I'll have ten minutes if I hurry. He pushes the gas pedal down further. She'll be happy to hear that I'll have enough for her aftercare by the end of next week. Pulling up to the hospital, he jumps out of his car. I hope she's not too upset with me. He remembers her temper. Maybe my news will help soften her mood. At least I hope it will.

He jogs through the corridor, weaving his way around the nurses. "Sorry, sorry," he says as he continues down the hall.

Tommy sees tears streaming down Jen's face when he steps into her room. Grave thoughts run through his mind as he races to her side. "What is it, Jen?" He scoops her hand off the bed as he drops to his knees. "Please, baby, please tell me what's wrong," Tommy begs.

She slowly glances up from the table, tears trickle from her face. "I was just looking through some old photos." He notices the family album in front of her when he glances at the table. It's turned to a picture of her in front of a limo. "I had the driver take this when he picked me up for our first date." Jen gently runs her fingers across the photo.

"It was the best date of my life," he says as he gazes into her big brown eyes.

"Mine too." Her mind drifts back to that night.

10 years prior

My friend, Jessie has been helping me get ready for my date for a large portion of the day. It was my first date with Tommy and I wanted everything to be perfect.

"If this doesn't make Tommy sit up and take notice, I don't know what will," she says as she finishes my makeup.

"I just hope I don't do something stupid and screw it all up." Being rather plain, I didn't have much experience with the guys. To be honest with you, this was my first real date.

"Relax doll, you'll be fine." We hear a knock at the door.

"Oh, Jess, he's here, he's really here." I fidget with my clothes. A part of me thought he was going to stand me up like the ones in the past.

"It'll be alright, I promise." Jessie opens the door to find a handsome stranger on her porch. "May I help you?"

"Mr. Campbell asked me to pick up Miss. Lowe for her date." He points to his limo.

I step up beside my friend. "I'm Miss. Lowe."

"Mr. Campbell asked me to give you these."

He hands me a dozen roses. I turn towards my friend, astonished by the recent events. "This is like something you'd read about in a romance novel."

"I assure you, madam, Mr. Campbell has more surprises in store."

"More?"

"Yes, madam. Mr. Campbell has made arrangements all week."

"What are you waiting for, go, go?" Jessie pushes me out the door.

Draping my arm in his, the driver leads me to his limo. Still in shock, I climb inside. So this is how the other half lives, I think eyeing my exquisite surroundings. I was still snooping through the limo when we arrive at our destination a short while later. All the comforts of home and some, I think as the vehicle comes to a stop. Opening my door, the driver escorts me to the restaurant. Excitement sparks inside me when I realized where I was at."Rogue Manor?"

"Yes, Madam."

Rogue Manor is one place I've always wanted to go but couldn't afford. "I think I've died and gone to heaven."

The chauffeur laughs. Removing my arm from his, he hands me over to the maitre d.

"Mr. Campbell is waiting for you on the patio." He leads me through the dimly-lit restaurant. I try to absorb the elegant ambiance as we continue towards the back. I hear romantic music playing in the background when I step through the patio doors. This is like a dream come true, I think as I glance around. I first notice the wall of beautiful flowers bordering the entire porch. The breeze blows ever so slightly, sending the sweet heavenly scent of the exquisite blooms my way. I pause for a second to inhale the enchanting smell. This is a storybook romance for sure, I conclude.

"Your suitor awaits, madam." Tommy stands as I approach him. I first notice his flattering new haircut and his clean, baby- smooth shave. I then see he's wearing a custom fitted black tux, a bleached white pressed shirt underneath with a fancy bow tie draped around the collar.

"You look beautiful tonight, Jen." My friend and I had decided on a short, lacy, light-pink, ensemble. The neckline drapes just off the shoulder, with delicate lace at the yoke, and the sleeves. The sheer little dress hugs my curves nicely stopping upper-thigh. He takes my hand up to his lips and kisses it.

"You look quite debonair yourself."

"Thank you, my lady." We take our seats. Our table is covered by a white lace cloth. Two candles sit in the center with a floral reef around it.

"May I pour the couple some wine?"

I look over at Tommy, being underage I wasn't sure what to say."

"Relax, enjoy."

"But I..." 

"It doesn't matter tonight." He winks.

The wine tastes so sweet, refreshing on my young palate, like nothing I've ever had before. "This is delicious."

"I'm glad madam approves. I will be back in a few minutes with your appetizers."

I glance around the elegant restaurant. "Oh Tommy, you've really outdone yourself tonight."

"You haven't seen anything yet."

Tommy and I talked for hours about everything imaginable. Stopping briefly to enjoy a walz across the large dance room floor. Our love is so meant to be, I thought as his arms wrapped around me for another slow dance.

"What do you say to a midnight stroll in the park?"

"I'd say that sounds lovely." I giggle, feeling the effects of the wine.

"Why don't we take a limo ride instead," Tommy suggests as I stumble towards the door.

"A ride might be a better idea," I giggle again.

We settle in the limo. Tommy turns to face me. "I've been wanting to do this all night." Leaning in he brushes his lips against mine. "I've fallen madly in love with you, Jenifer Lowe." His kiss is so warm, so passionate that it stirs a desire deep inside of me, a raw hunger I'd never felt before.

Present Day

"We made hot passionate love all night long."

"it was the best date of my life." I look down at the picture beside it. "I miss those times, all the fun we had together. The strolls in the park, making love in the sand." I turn the page to pictures of the boys. I run my fingers across their little faces. "I miss my babies, Tommy, I miss them so bad."

"Do you want me to ask your doctor if I can bring them in?"

" Could you, please. It'd be great to see them, to touch them, hold them one more time, before I..." I burst into tears.

"Don't even think like that. Jen."

I wipe the moisture from my face. "The only thing keeping me alive right now is these machines and one day they won't even work anymore. Why did I have to be born this way, why? It's not fair, it's just not fair."

Tommy wraps his arms around my sobbing body. "Don't worry, baby, you're going to get your operation soon, I promise."

"How Tommy, how? We'll never have enough money for my aftercare."

"You let me worry about that. You just worry about getting stronger so your body can tolerate the surgery."

"You're not working for Hernandez again are you?" Tommy glances away. I grab his arm. "Please, Tommy, please tell me you're  not."

"I wouldn't be dumb enough to work for him again."

"You promise, Tommy?"

Tommy turns towards me."Yes, baby, I swear."
 

Characters
Tommy main conspirator to the crime
Vinnie, Larry Tommy's friends
Jen, Tommy's wife

Salois Brothers Andy, Jeremy, Jack career criminals.
Berryville PD

Kirk- detective.
Rachel sergeant
Joe captain
Jerry detective



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.