Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted January 19, 2019 Chapters:  ...66 67 -68- 69... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Squeezed Octaves

A chapter in the book Minnesota Poems

Betwixt and Between

by Treischel

 
 
Betwixt the marble and the glass,
an office building people pass,
is dwarfed by urban upperclass –
a theater,
a tailgater.
The foremost, art’s grand atrium.
Provides esthetic medium.
The other, football stadium.
 
Each structure’s purpose speaks “unique”!
Between, one hosts mundane work week,
while art gives way to sports technique –
Shakespeare’s scrawl
Vikings football.
Plain office is fixed betwixt them,
in counterpoint urban theorem,
giving business place asylum.
 




Three buildings that are unique are shown here in downtown Minneapolis: a theater, an office building, and a sports stadium. The foremost is the renowned Guthrie Theater. Behind, lurking like the prow of a ship, is the US Bank Stadium, home of the Minnesota Vikings, American football team. So here you have the arts, work, and sports intermingled. That is my thesis.

Tailgater - a common activity around a sports stadium is to tailgate, that is an outdoor picnic, or barbecue, in your parking spot before and/or after the game. Often quite a party in itself. Typically alcohol is involved.

Atrium - referring to a Roman architectural feature, usually at the center of a building.

Medium - a way of conveying something

Theorem - pronounced in 2 syllables.

Asylum - retreat, refuge

This poem is a format I call Squeezed Octaves.
Squeezes Octaves are my creation. Those who know me know, I often like a format containing 3 consecutive rhymes. So I created this one. It is structured with Octaves (8 line stanzas). It yields 2 short lines squeezed between 2 sets of 3 longer lines. It can have as many Octaves as desired, but a minimum of 2. The form reminds me of a sponge being squeezed. Thus the name - Squeezed Octaves.

Each stanza has a syllable count of:
8-8-8-4-4-8-8-8

The rhyme scheme is: aaabbccc

The meter can be variable or iambic as the poet desires.

This photograph was taken by the author himself on February 20, 2016.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Treischel All rights reserved.
Treischel has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.