Mystery and Crime Fiction posted January 19, 2019 Chapters: 3 4 -5- 6... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Find out how Tommy and Jen began

A chapter in the book Eyes on You

Finding Love

by Mistydawn


"Summary
Finding out his pregnant wife Jen needs a costly operation, Tommy turns to a life of crime
. They're in the middle of one of their jobs when the owners come home. Kirk is trying to see if the pawn shop owner has some stolen merchandise when armed thugs come in.

Tommy is cruising down a long stretch of highway; the wind whipping through his thick dishwater blond hair. Iconic songs continue to play on the radio as today's events replay in his mind. If only I'd called it quits after the intruder, the homeowner wouldn't have found me and called the police. Oh, why didn't I listen to my gut on this one, why?

The police hauled him to the station where the detectives questioned him for four long, grueling hours. Not having enough evidence, they finally set him free. Tommy no sooner made it through the precient doors when his friends called to tell him the stuff they nabbed was nothing more than worthless dime store junk.

I'm beginning to think my robbery idea isn't going to work out. He pictures Jen lying helpless in bed, hooked up to a large assortment of machines; devices that are keeping her and the baby alive. Tommy then recalls what the doctor had said.

"Your wife isn't going to survive much longer without an operation."

The hospital administration told him he needed to come up with ten thousand dollars for Jen's aftercare before they'll even consider her for surgery. When questioned in a press conference about their decision the hospital claimed it's their moral  duty to ensure the organ is put to good use and that requires costly immunosuppression drugs and expencive aftercare. 

I have to make this work, I just have to. He racks his brain, hoping to find a solution. Tommy's mind soon drifts back to the day they met. They'd seen each other in passing numerous times, but never really spoke.

10 years prior

Tommy is finishing up some business in town when he notices her walking by. Jen's long blond hair hangs loosely past her shoulders. Her tight blue blouse showcases her perky breasts. The short denim skirt showes off her trim figure and long slender legs nicely. Jen's adorable face and large almond eyes make my heart race, he thinks watching Jen glide elegantly across the floor.

He's been trying to muster up enough courage to say something to her, but chickens out every time. The one time he did feel ballsy enough, he talked himself out of it before he was halfway across the room.

Being a socialite, he didn't think she'd be interested in a hell-raiser like him. What do I have to offer someone as refined and sophisticated as her? He often dreamed of them being together despite their opposition, but he knew deep down in his heart that's all it'll ever be; a dream.

He smells Jen's perfume drift through the air as she casually strolls past. I wish I had enough courage to ask her out. It'll only be a waste of time to try. He glances toward the ground. What's the worst that can happen? She could laugh in my face, tell me to get lost. What if she doesn't, what if she says yes? There's only one way to find out. He looks up at Jen, a sparkle of hope in his eyes. Clearing his throat, he nervously begins. "Hey, doll face," he says, trying to act nonchalant.

"Who me?" she asks as she anxiously glances around."

"You're the only doll face I see." He winks, hoping to give her the impression that he's sleek and cool. So far so good. He gulps

Jen's heart skips a beat as he strolls towards her. She's always thought this bad boy was a hot item, one she'd enjoy getting to know. Sometimes late at night, she'd find herself fantasizing about what it'd be like to be with a rebel like him. Then her mother's cruel words would play in her mind.

"Jen is so homely the only way she'll get a man is if she blackmails him into marrying her." Mom is right, gorgeous eye candy like him wouldn't be interested in someone as ugly as me, she'd conclude.

"How would you like to take a ride on my bike?" He asks as he steps up beside her.

"I... I'm scared of bikes." She stutters eyeing the frightful contraption.

"I promise to take it slow. The ride, take the ride slow, I mean," he quickly corrects.

"You swear?"

"I would say boy scout's honor, but I've never been a scout. I'm too debonair for them." He lifts his nose in the air as he brushes his clothes. She laughs. "So, what do you say, you up for a ride?"

Jen thinks about all the things she's dreamed of doing but didn't because she let fear get in her way. "You promise not to go too fast or pull a crazy stunt?"

"I promise." He hands her a helmet. "We need to protect your beautiful head." He strums his finger down the side of her cheek. "Beautiful indeed." She blushes. Pulling the helmet over her head, she climbs on behind him. "Put your arms around my waist," Tommy instructs.

"Like this?" She presses her body against him, her hands around his middle.

"Perfect." The bike jerks forward, she tightens her grip as she screams. "Relax doll, you're safe with me." He gives the bike a little more gas.

A few minutes later she loosens her grip. "This is fun."

"Exhilarating, isn't it?"

"It sure is." The scent of his cologne intoxicates her as her body continues to rub against his muscular frame. She snuggles in closer. "Very exhilarating."

Tommy feels her long, slender body press against him, his body relaxes a bit. This is pure heaven, he smiles.

Not wanting their storybook romance to end, Tommy asks her out on a second ride then a third. Wanting to move their relationship up a level, Tommy asks her on a date.

The night of the big event, he pulls up to her house, a wad of cash in his pocket and dozens of plans in his head. I'm going to make this a night she'll never forget. He nervously straightens his suit and then runs his fingers through the mop he calls hair as he heads to the door. He's meeting her parents for the first time and wants his appearance to be perfect. He repeats the process one more time before he knocks on the door. He starts to knock a second time when an older, distinguished looking gentleman throws the barrier open.

"Yeah, what do you want?" he grumbles.

Intimidated, Tommy takes a step back. "I... I'm here to pick up Jenifer for our date, sir."

The man gives him a quick once over. "I don't know who you are or what you're trying to pull young man, but I'm telling you right now, I will not allow my daughter to date a low life hoodlum like you." He slams the door in the young man's face.

"I should've known this would happen, dating out of my league, like I'm something special. What was I thinking?" With his head hung down, he trudges to his bike.

Tommy's had his heart broken numerous times. First by his real parents and then by several foster families. The last time was the worst of them all, one he never really recovered from. The family said they loved him and wanted him to be their son. Then a cute little infant came around, and he was adopted instead; Tommy was shipped to another family. He decided to build a wall to prevent being hurt again. Then Jen came along and smashied the barrier to smithereens. "If only I could see her one last time, tell her how I feel." He glances towards the house. "It wouldn't matter what I'd say, with her dad in our way."

Days turn into weeks, weeks into months. Tommy tries to move on with his life, but nothing he does seems to work. He feels like he's a mere robot, going through the motions of life.

Six months later, he's taking care of a dirty piece of side work for Hernandez when he hears a woman scream in the alley. He normally ignores outbursts in this gangland, but something about the voice sounds familiar. He runs down the alley to find Jen being attacked by a burly goon. Throwing all common sense aside, he runs towards him. "Get away from her, now."

The thug turns around. "This is none of your business, so get lost." He turns towards his victim.

"I said get away from her now." Pulling the gun from his waistband, Tommy squeezes the trigger. He starts to squeeze off another when his attacker's bullet lodges in his leg. Both he and the thug drop to the ground.

"Tommy," Jen cries, running to his side.

Tommy's favorite song blaring through the radio brings him back to the present day. "She saved my life and now she's counting on me to do the same."  Wiping his tear-streaked face, Tommy makes a U-Turn back towards his gang. 

Characters
Tommy main conspirator to the crime
Vinnie, Larry Tommy's friends
Jen, Tommy's wife

Salois Brothers Andy, Jeremy, Jack career criminals.
Berryville PD

Kirk- detective.
Rachel sergeant
Joe captain
Jerry detective



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.