Commentary and Philosophy Script posted January 7, 2019 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Script #7: America's Contaminated Drinking Water

A chapter in the book Cracker Croakers (A Talk Show)

Cracker Croakers

by Brett Matthew West

Candice; Welcome to Cracker Croakers for Monday, January 7, 2019. I'm Candice Bergeron, your hostess with the mostest.

Colton: And, I'm your other host Colton Wyatt.

Candice: Here's some good news for our loyal listeners. Starting today you will have an opportunity to phone in and ask Colton and I questions about the topic we are discussing.

Colton: Candice, are you aware that many cities are at risk of having their drinking water contaminated by unregulated chemicals known as PFAS? Did you also know that these PFAS in drinking water could potentially affect millions of American citizens?

Candice: PFAS? What's that? I'm not sure I've ever heard of them.

Colton: Don't feel alone, Candice. Most people have no idea what PFAS are. So, allow me to clue you in. PFAS are an unregulated class of man-made chemicals that have long been used in such products as water-repellent fabrics, nonstick cookware, fire-fighting foam, and grease-resistant paper. And, a major health hazard concerning PFAS is that these chemicals do not break down in the environment.

Candice: We'll continue with this interesting discussion, but first let's try out our new telephone lines, Colton. Are you there, caller?

Caller Number One: Yes I am, Candice. Thanks for taking my call. Colton, are there any health issues associated with these PFAS?

Colton: Weakened immunities, the potential for infertility, thyroid disease, and even certain cancers have all been linked to PFAS.

Candice: This sounds like a serious national problem people can't run away from.

Colton: According to a Harvard study, the public supplies that provide water to more than six million Americans have tested above the EPA recommended threshold for PFAS. However, this level is only an EPA guideline because the federal government does not regulate PFAS.

Candice: But, shouldn't a national strategy address this situation?

Colton: Good luck with that one, Candice. Because, affected communities are still waiting. This includes many towns near military bases where PFAS-laden foams have long been used in training exercises. What's more, most people have no knowledge they are even being affected by PFAS.

Candice: Caller Number Two is Meredith Madison from Oshkosh, Wisconsin. You're on the air with Candice and Colton.

Meredith Madison: My question is this, wouldn't the detection of PFAS in drinking water raise several questions given the lack of regulation of these chemicals and their potential long-term health effects?

Colton: That's a good question, Meredith. There have been two particular types of PFAS phased out because they were ending up in the bloodstreams of nearly every American citizen. These are PFOA, which is more commonly known as C8, and was used to make Teflon. And, the other is PFOS. This chemical was used to make Scotchgard water repellent. However, thousands of PFAS chemicals remain in use, and pose threats to American drinking water resources, such as lead and arsenic.

Candice: Aren't industries required to report what chemicals they use in the production of their products?

Colton: Nope! And, there are so many of them that pop up in the least expected places. What's more, the EPA sought to block the publication of a federal health study of the affects of PFAS contamination.

Candice: Caller Number Three I'm told is Martin Nash from Rutland, Vermont. What's your question, Martin?

Martin Nash: Why would the EPA want to block the publication of a federal heath study of the affects of PFAS, Colton?

Colton: Because, Martin, as one administrator stated at the time, this study could result in a public relations nightmare.

Candice: Isn't the health of all Americans much more important than a public relations nightmare?

Colton: Yes it is, Candice. And, this study in question was eventually released. The keynote of the publication indicated the EPA's existing non-enforceable standard remains inadequate to protect the public health. Moreover, little has happened since then to improve the situation.

Candice: You've got to be kidding me, right? Couldn't states regulate PFAS on their own volition?

Colton: Yes they can, and some have taken measures to regulate PFAS in their drinking water. However, the need for federal attention remains long overdue.

Candice: Well, that about wraps us up for this edition of Cracker Croakers.

Colton: In that case smarty-pants, I suppose we better say adieu. She's Candice!

Candice: And, he's Colton!

Candice and Colton: And, we invite you to join us again tomorrow for another entertaining edition of Cracker Croakers (Featuring Candice and Colton).


***********************************************************************
***********************************************************************


I intended this Talk Show to be part of my new blog. However, surprisingly to me any way, and indicated by several PMs I have received, some members have asked me to keep this series here. It appears to be gaining a following on FanStory. So, that is what I am going to do. At least, for now. If you enjoy Cracker Croakers (Featuring Candice and Colton) why not fan us so you don't miss any exciting episodes that air Mondays through Fridays right here exclusively on FanStory?




water's memory, by CammyCards, selected to complement my script.

So, thanks CammyCards, for the use of your picture. It goes so nicely with my script.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Brett Matthew West All rights reserved.
Brett Matthew West has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.