Romance Fiction posted December 16, 2018 Chapters:  ...106 107 -108- 109... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Anderson gives Shana a job.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Zweiunddreissig part drei

by barbara.wilkey



Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
Before I start posting, I want to make a few comments. I'm not putting this in the author's notes because many people don't read them. I know this novel has continued for years. When this novel ends, it's time frame will have only cover two weeks and one day. Because I post only approximately 500 words, today's is about 742 words, at a time it tends to take FOREVER and I understand that is a problem. That being said, at my paying job I work approximately 10 hour days, 5 days a week and put in 7 hours on Saturday's and 2 hours on Sundays. So about 59 hours a week is spent on teaching or getting ready for first graders. I also have a home and a family that requires a lot of my time. That is the reason I post short. The next issue, yes, I make mistakes when I'm editing. I DO edit and I edit a lot. I have a bad habit of reading what I think it should say and not what is actually printed. Sorry, I'm not perfect. As for the story line, I know it's a romance, but I don't like reading man meets girl and they jump into bed. Maybe it does happen in real life, but it's not part of my life and I don't read it myself. I don't like reading posts with filled with curse words. I do read some on FanStory because I can always learn from the writing, but I would NOT purchase the book. I could go into my use of animals in the story, but I think I've rambled enough, maybe that issue will be for next weeks post. Now for the continuation of my post. Please do not ask what brought this on, I won't reveal my sources. I have been a member since August of 2008, I feel I have a right to rant, at least once.


ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Anderson stood beside Shana. "Jeff says everything's under control. We need to stay calm." He looked around the room, ran his fingers through his short hair. "I have no idea what to do." He shook his head. "Since meeting you that feeling has become very familiar. I'm not used to it."

Shana whispered, "Sorry."

He put his arms around her, careful not to squash the kitten. "Don't worry about it. I'll get used to it." He petted Malachi's head. "Is he always going to be between us?"

"His name is Hebrew for 'a messenger from Jehovah.' Shana smiled. "From Father's mouth, to God's ears, to Zack finding him, and bringing him to me."

Anderson's eyebrows widened. "It doesn't work that way, does it?"


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 32 part 3

Jeff entered the room. "Oh, excuse me." He turned to leave.

"Get back here." Anderson stepped back from Shana and motioned for Jeff to sit, and then he did the same. " What's going on?"

Shana started to leave the room. "I'll let you guys talk."

Anderson pointed to an empty chair. "I'm sorry. Have a seat. This affects you too. I was wrong keeping information from you. I'm sure you want to know what's going on. Jeff, please explain."

"It was a small brush fire probably started for a diversion. It didn't work, so I figure they'll up their game."

"When do you expect the Wild Road house to be finished?"

"Today's Thursday. If the men work through the weekend and next weekend, we can move in a week from Monday. Is that soon enough?"

Anderson tapped the arms of the chair. "There's no way to move it up, is there?"

Jeff shook his head. "Not really. If we rush them, they'll make mistakes."

"I don't want that." Anderson faced Shana. "Would you like to decorate this house?"

Shana's eyes widened. "What? Me?" After Anderson grinned, she asked, "You're really serious, aren't you?"

"I am. How about it?"

"But, when Kuznetsov realizes we're not a threat and leaves us alone, I'll go back to Peoria. You'll be stuck with my decorating."

"I'm willing to risk it." Anderson's eyes met Jeff's. "Can Shana come with us tomorrow so she can see what she's decorating?"

Jeff attempted to suppress a grin, but failed. "I can make it happen."

"Any colors you don't like?" asked Shana.

"I don't want my bedroom in pink flowers."

Shana hugged the kitten. "I wouldn't think of it. I've got work to do. I need to get started." She hesitated. "Do you have a computer I can borrow?"

Anderson laughed, but stood. "Just a minute." When he returned, he handed Shana his laptop and a post-it-note. "That's the computer's password."

Her eyes widened. "You trust me with it?"

He opened his wallet. "Why wouldn't I?" He handed her a plastic card. "I'm giving you my bank card so you can make purchases."

"I promise I won't spend a cent more than necessary."

"I believe you. I'm not worried."

Shana opened the computer and began typing.

Jeff smiled. "I guess no swimming will happen tonight."

Shana glanced up. "I forgot. Do you still want to?" Anderson shook his head, and she continued, "I'll call Emily in the morning and see what her ideas are for her room."

"Please use your own judgement," interrupted Anderson. "Emily doesn't always make good choices."

"I know. She's five, but I wanted her to feel she's part of it."

Anderson stood. "Jeff and I need to discuss some things with Zack, do you mind if we work in the den?"

*****
After the men settled in the den, Jeff chuckled. "You handled Shana like a pro. She feels important and part of the solution."

"Go ahead and tell me 'I told you so.' I admit I was wrong." Anderson turned to his brother. "Any clues how the oil rig fire started?"

Zachery glanced at his phone but ignored it. "A pump malfunctioned. Seven different sites use the same system. I'm having them all replaced so we won't risk any more fires. It appears Kuznetsov's innocent this time."

Anderson opened and closed a file. "Shana will be glad to hear it. Any ideas where we go from here? We can't allow Kuznetsov to hold us captive in our own home. That's exactly what he's doing. We're sitting here waiting for his next move."

"Did Agent Ryan give you any indication when we'd hear back?" asked Zachery.

Jeff shook his head. "He just said when he knew something, we'd know."

"The only thing we know so far is they did a lousy job guarding Patricia." Anderson checked his phone. "Mom just texted. It seems Robert's family is doing as well as can be expected and appreciated the help."

Zachery's eyes met his brother's. "Robert was a good worker."

Shana stepped in the den holding the kitten, and handed Anderson the computer. "Thank you. I'm feeding Malachi and then going to bed. Newborn kittens sure eat often."

"Okay. I'll leave the computer on the desk. Help yourself to it. I won't be much longer. I'll be there in a few minutes."

Jeff and Zachery stared at Anderson.

"That didn't sound right, did it?" Anderson avoided their stares.


Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back
Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells
Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits
Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.
Helen -- Anderson's cook
Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper
Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend
Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker
Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd
Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd
Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd
Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother
Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.
Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife
Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter
Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.
Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.
Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.
Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator
Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father
Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother
Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting
Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria
Mary Pritchard -- The lady Anderson hired to help Hannah while she's in Boston with Sarah.
Zachery Sharp -- Anderson's younger brother
Michael Sharp -- Anderson's father
Susan Sharp --Anderson's mother
Leon Sharp - - Anderson's grandfather
Grandma Sharp - - Anderson's grandmother
Oscar - - Team Leader of the security detail
Detective Rollins - - Austin police detective
Agent Allan Ryan - - FBI agent



Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an photo of pink flowered room. The Russian Mafia has upped it game as the story starts to come to a close. A few calms before the storm. I have about 9 posts left to this almost 90,000 word novel. Thank you for all the support and patience you give my writing. I appreciate your comments.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.