Mystery and Crime Fiction posted December 8, 2018 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The guys try to smooth over a bad situation.

A chapter in the book Death by Delivery

Humble Pie

by Mistydawn


Summary

Nick was told that Diaz killed his mom, brother, and caused his premature birth. Nick spent his childhood bouncing around the foster care system, being constantly abused by addicts. As a detective, Nick tries to take him down, but looses his job his partner in the process. More determined than ever, Nick decides to take down the crime ring that made him lose it all.

Nick won the drug lord, Diaz's trust, killing ten addicts. He hopes to get rid of more when he's stopped by the police, with drugs in his car. He squirms out of that but finds himself facing armed, gorilla-like men. After a long struggle, he kills them with his deadly pen.

With his phone MIA, Nick fears his crime spree has been discovered. He ends up stranded in the middle of nowhere trying to cover his tracks.

His cop buddies give him a lift into town. Nick discovers his plan isn't compromised like he thought.

Meanwhile, Rachel finds herself in a dire situation with a suspect's disgruntled family member, putting her in critical condition.

Deciding their apology should be a collaborative effort, Nick and Joe slowly trudge down the long hospital corridor as they try and figure out the best way to handle their dilemma. Nervously glancing at each other, the two step into Rachel's doorway, still unsure where or how to begin.

Rachel looks towards them, an annoyed expression on her face. Folding her arms in front of her she begins. "Are you going to say something or are you two going to stand there and look stupid all night?" 

"Ah, Rachel, we ah, well, we..." Joe glances at Nick, hoping for a little help.

Nick shakes his head as he steps through the door; retreating a step back when Rachel sits up. Why am I so frightened; I've stared down armed perps twice her size. He starts to take another step but, stops mid-motion.

"I'm waiting." She taps her foot on the mattress.

Nick takes a deep breath for courage before he moves closer to her bed. "It's like this."

"Yeah." She re-crosses her arms as she leans forward.

"You're a beautiful young woman whom any man would love to date." He sees Joe motioning him along when he glances over.

"And?"

"When it comes to beautiful women, well, we menfolk act kind of stupid sometimes."

"Childish," Joe adds, smiling sheepishly. Rachel glances at Joe and then back at Nick. "Go on."

"I know that's no excuse for the way I, we, behaved." He points to Joe and then himself.

"You're right, it isn't."

Nick lowers his head. I'll lose any chance of being with her if I do this, but it's obvious these two are in love. He lifts his head back up. "We're sorry for the way we acted and promise never to do it again."

"Do you have anything to add to this, Joe?"

"I'm sorry and it'll never happen again?"

"That sounded more like a question than a statement; like you're trying to pull a fast one on me."

Running across the room, Joe kneels down by her bed. "No, no, that's not what this is at all. I love you, Rachel, I have for a while and I think we can have something special together if you'd only give me, give us a chance."

Rachel is flooded with emotions as tears fill her big brown eyes. I've been waiting for him to say that for forever.

"Please say you'll forgive me, please," Joe begs as moisture streams down his tan face.

"I forgive you, Joe, I forgive you; I love you too." Springing off the floor, Joe wraps his arms around her. Hearing applause behind them, Joe looks back to find several of the hospital staff cheering in her doorway.

"It's about time you admitted it, boss," Jerry says as he steps through the crowd.

***
Diaz is pacing back and forth across the restaurant floor waiting for his partner to show. Discovering that Nick is nowhere to be found, he decided it's best to tell Julie what's going on.

The police probably have him in protective custody until after my arrest. So, if I can figure out where he might be, we could take care of this matter once and for all, he concludes as he continues to pace to and fro. Seeing Julie's caddie pull up to their restaurant, he runs out to greet her.

"I got here as quickly as I could," she exclaims as the driver's door swings open.

Diaz helps her out of the car. "We need to talk and we need to make it quick." He glances around.

"Why, what's going on?"

Diaz nervously scans his surroundings again. "Not here, inside, where it's safe." He grabs her arm and escorts her towards the door.

Julie turns to face him. "You're really starting to worry me, Diaz."

"You should be concerned, very concerned." She turns pale as a terrified expression crosses her face.

"Go." Pushing her inside, he secures the antique glass door and then pulls the red checkered shades over its picture window.

She grabs his shirt and starts shaking him the moment he turns around. "Does this have to do with our side business? Oh my god, it does, doesn't it? It's those damn cops again, isn't it? What's going on? Tell me, Diaz, tell me, what's going on?"

"Calm down a second and I will."

"You better make it fast." She takes a few deep breaths hoping to prevent a panic attack.

"You see..." He stops in mid-thought and glances around.

"What is it, Diaz, what, what?"

"It's that damn Plumber you hired."

"All this over a day laborer, really?" She thrusts the palm of her hands against his chest knocking him a step back. "Fire him if you don't like him, I don't care." She gazes at her watch. "I've got to run." She turns to leave, he grabs her arm to stop her. "Now what?"

"It's not that simple."

"If you don't have the balls to do it then, I will."

"That's not it either, let me explain."

She scans her watch again. "I have a business engagement to attend and you've already made me late." She taps on its white crystal facing.

"In here." He leads her to the walk in.

Stepping inside, she spins back around. "I want answers and I want them now." She stomps her stilettos on the floor. Her heel slips through the mat's drain hole, causing her to stumble sideways. Diaz grabs her before she falls. She smooths a wrinkle from her dress as she straightens up. "I've had just about enough of your games," she warns as she pushes a loose curl away.

"Be patient." He walks to their security camera and smiles.

"This is no time for a damn selfie."

"Grab my hand and hush."

"What, why?"

"Just do it." Seeing her hesitate, he grabs her hand instead. The cooler fills with a thick white fog.

"I can't breathe." Julie gasps.

"Hang on just a little longer." A side panel opens, Diaz pulls her inside; the door closes behind them.

"What is this place?" she asks, glancing around the small cramped office.

"It's where all the major transactions take place, illegal ones anyhow. That smoke was a cover-up, so no one will know this place exists." Noticing the confused look on her face he continues. "If anyone hacks into our video feed, they'll think we're still in the cooler; a looped video takes care of that."

"What's going on, Diaz? Tell me, damn it, tell me now."

"A situation has come up and it looks like we may have to run."


***
"Thanks for picking me up, Steve," Nick says as he climbs into his friend's car.

"Sure, no problem. It looks like you and the boys were getting pretty chummy back there."

"They've asked me to come back to the station, full benefits and everything; the way it used to be."

"That's great."

Nick glances at his pals. "Yeah, maybe."

"I thought you liked being a cop?"

"I do, well, I like getting the bad guys off the streets. I just don't like the bureaucracy that goes with it, brass always on your tail."

"I understand that, but you don't want to deliver pizzas forever, do you?"

"I was thinking about starting my own business, PI for hire you know."

"Think you can make a living that way?"

"What's the worst that can happen? I go back to menial work for minimum wage?"

Steve laughs. "You've got me there. How's your first case going?"

"I figured out how he's laundering money now I just have to prove it."

"Did you hear any more about the new batch of drugs coming in?"

"There should be a new shipment at the end of next week."

"Let me know when, alright?"

"I promised you I would." Nick sees two burly dudes across the yard when they pull up to his building. He then notices a pair of goons parked out front, a couple more in the alley. They look vaguely familiar, but I'm not sure from where. He suddenly recalls them leaving his boss's house. Why would Diaz send these men after me? The brakes squeak as Steve pulls up to the curb, causing Nick to jump.

"Here you go, pal."

"I... I don't like this, Steve, the setup, the feel of it all." He nervously scans the yard.

Steve notices his friend shaking when he looks over. "What's going on with you?"

"See those men?" He points out the window.

"Yeah."

"They're part of Diaz's crew."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive."

"Do you think they're after you?"

"Why else would they be here?" He watches them take their positions.

"What do you want to do?"

"Keep driving until I can figure out what's going on."

Characters

Nick, ex-cop determined to take down Diaz and his crew
Jenkins, Smith Nick's cop buddies
Diaz, the drug lord, part of the cartel
Julie, Diaz's partner in crime.
Tony, Diaz's right-hand man
Tito Greco, Luigi's twin Bruno Greco's son. Bruno and Luigi were killed by the police in a hostage situation.
Anna, Tito Greco's mom
Mary a charge nurse

Berryville PD

Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachel Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.
Sharon, Medical Examiner
Kirk, Forensic tech

 

 

 



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.