Mystery and Crime Fiction posted November 25, 2018 Chapters:  ...11 12 -13- 14... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Joe tries to deny his feelings for Rachel

A chapter in the book Death by Delivery

Mixed Feelings

by Mistydawn



Summary
After being fired from the police force, Nick decides to take down the crime ring that made him lose it all. Nick won the drug lord, Diaz's trust and killed ten addicts. He hopes to get rid of more when he's stopped by the police, with drugs in his car. He squirms out of that but finds himself facing some armed, gorilla-like men. He manages to kill them with his deadly pen. Returning to the pizza parlor, he's abruptly escorted to his boss's house. With his phone MIA, Nick fears his crime spree has been discovered. Meanwhile, Rachel finds herself in a dire situation with a suspect's disgruntled family member, which lands her in the hospital. 


Joe is pacing back and forth in front of the hospital waiting for news on Rachel. He's unaware that the door opens and closes each time he passes. I hope she'll be alright, oh, I hope she'll be alright. I don't know what I'd do without her. Fond memories replay in his mind as tears stream down his cold pale cheeks.

Feeling a blast of cold air, the charge nurse glances up from her station. She finds Joe walking frantically across the threshold as he talks to himself. "He'll freeze to death out there." Another burst of air hits her. "He's going to freeze us too." She grabs her coat from her chair and steps outside.

Seeing Mary coming towards him, Joe rushes over to meet her. "Any news on Rachel?"

"Not yet, Joe, but they should be done shortly. In the meantime, why don't you wait inside where it's warm?" Taking a hold of his arm, she tries to guide him in the building.

Panicking, the captain pulls away. "I'll... I'll be just fine out here." He wraps his arms around himself.

"It's thirty degrees, Joe and it's only going to get colder once that sun goes down."

"I said I'm fine," he barks, giving her a steely look.

Hearing his sharp tone, Mary takes a step back. "I'll let you know when I hear something." She starts to leave when Joe grabs her arm to stop her.

"No, wait, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have snapped at you like that; you're only trying to look out for me." 

"So, you'll come inside?"

Joe glances toward the doorway again. "I... I can't do it, I just can't." His eyes get teary as a horrid memory replay in his mind. "My mama died in there and..." He sobs.

"It's ok, Joe, I understand. Why don't I bring you a hot cup of coffee and a warm blanket out here?"

"That'd be nice, thank you."

"Don't worry, Captain, everything will be alright."

"I sure hope so."

"You care a lot about her, don't you?"

"She was my partner for over ten years."

"I think it goes much deeper than that." 

"No, we're just good friends, have been for years."

"Who are you trying to convince, Joe, me or you?"

"No one, it's the truth."

"If you say so. Let me get you that coffee." She's halfway to the door when she turns back around. "I think you should tell her how you feel. Who knows, it just might turn into something spectacular?"

"Our relationship isn't like that. Rachel is like my little sister, my best friend."

"You can honestly tell me it wouldn't bother you if you see her with somebody else?"

"I wouldn't mind if he makes her happy, treats her right."

"I'm sure the guy in the waiting room will be happy to hear that."

"What guy, where?" He presses his nose against the glass and quickly looks around. He soon discovers the area is deserted.

"That's what I thought." Mary laughs.

"I... I just wanted to make sure he's good enough for her, lives up to the old Joe standards."

"Sure, you did." Chuckling, she walks inside.

Joe paces back and forth as he thinks about what she said. "I'm not denying my feelings for Rachel. I do love her as a partner and a friend."

***

Nick is driving frantically down the rugged dirt road in a state of panic. His stomach has been rumbling for hours and his gas tank is nearly as empty. I'd hate to have to spend the night out here but the way it's going I just might. I can't be stuck out here not with the cops on my ass.

He starts to make a left at the intersection when his oil light comes on. There's no way it's low, I just changed it a few days ago. A frightening thought comes to mind, he glances in the rearview mirror. I must've sprung a leak when I bottomed out. I don't have any more with me either, not that it'd matter the way it's pouring out. What am I going to do, oh, what am I going to do? I can't be caught out here in the middle of nowhere with the cops on my tail, but I can't drive my car like this either.

The check engine light comes on as the car starts to cut out. He hears metal hitting metal from somewhere under the hood. I can either push it to see how far I can get or pull over and save the engine. He looks around the desolate area. I don't like the idea of walking out here, especially when it gets dark, but I need my car to get what I need to do done.

The vehicle rattles get louder as smoke barrels from the back. The car sputters one last time and dies. Why did this have to happen now, why?

Grabbing a jacket and flashlight from the back, he nervously glances down the road. I... I wish I had my service revolver, he thinks. He feels something hit the side of his leg when he tosses his jacket around him. Nick reaches into his pocket and pulls out his phone. That's where I put it. Laughing he continues down the road.

He sees headlights coming towards him when he gets a little farther down. I just might get out of here after all. Delighted that things are looking up, he starts to flag them down. He quickly realizes it's an unmarked car. Joy turns to panic as he tries to figure out what to do. What if they're searching for me? I need to hide somewhere, but where? He anxiously glances around the barren forest. The cop flashes his lights. I could run. They'll probably shoot me before I get a few feet. He sighs with dismay. I guess there's only one thing left to do. He tearfully heads towards the car. This might be my last little bit of freedom. He tearfully looks at the car. So long wonderful life. He sniffles. Hanging his head, he continues.

The officer rolls down the window as his partner pulls the squad car alongside him. "Need a lift?"

Hearing a buzzard’s screech above him, Nick sees four large foul circling overhead. I'm not dead yet, you bloodthirsty birds. They caw in response like they had read his mind. Maybe they know what's coming if I stay out here. Nick turns toward the vehicle.

"Well, hey Nick, whatcha doing?"

Nick turns to see Jenkins and Smith in the car. "I was making a delivery when my car died." He anxiously glances at the flying predators again.

"This is a hell of a place to be stranded. Especially this late in the evening. " Jenkins laughs.

"Tell me about it."

"Hop in and we'll give you a lift home." Smith points to the back.

"Home?"

"Unless you want us to drop you somewhere else."

What if they interrogate me, trick me into a confession? "No, that's ok, I'm good." He shakely looks above him. His newfound friends are still there, a little closer than the last.

"Are you sure? It's ten miles to town, six to the nearest house."

"Ten?" Nick asks nervously glancing around.

"That's if you don't get lost or a wild animal doesn't decide to eat you." As if on cue, a coyote howls in the distance.

Nick jumps. He looks up to see the birds are still making their rounds. "Think I'll take that ride after all."

His buddy laughs. "I figured you'd change your mind."

"We could stop by the hospital, so he can see Rachel. You'd like that, right pal, see your lover again?" They used to harass him about his infatuation. How he stutters when she's around.

"What... What's wrong with Rachel?"

"She still has that effect on you." Jenkins laughs.

"What... What's wrong with Rachel?" he asks again as he pulls himself to the edge of his seat.

"She got her head smashed in by a perp. The doctor said she's going to be fine."

"That... That's good."

"She still has feelings for you, talks about you all the time."

"I thought she liked the captain."

"Joe, no you’re the one she wants."

"Really?" Nick smiles.

"You know it, pal." Smith smiles at Jenkins and winks.

 

 

Characters

Nick, ex-cop determined to take down Diaz and his crew
Jenkins, Smith Nick's cop buddies
Diaz, the drug lord, part of the cartel
Julie, Diaz's partner in crime.
Tony, Diaz's right-hand man
Tito Greco, Luigi's twin Bruno Greco's son. Bruno and Luigi were killed by the police in a hostage situation.
Anna, Tito Greco's mom

Berryville PD

Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachel Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.
Sharon, Medical Examiner
Kirk, Forensic tech



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.