Mystery and Crime Fiction posted November 14, 2018 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Weak from blood loss, Rachel faces her final attacker.

A chapter in the book Death by Delivery

Down for the Count

by Mistydawn


Summary
After being fired from the police force, Nick decides to take down the crime ring that made him lose it all. Nick won the drug lord, Diaz's trust and killed ten addicts. He hopes to get rid of more when he's stopped by the police, with drugs in his car. He squirms out of that but he now finds himself facing some armed, gorilla-like men. He manages to kill them with his deadly pen. Returning to the pizza parlor, he's abruptly escorted to his boss's house. With his phone MIA, Nick fears his crime spree has been discovered. Meanwhile, Rachel finds herself in a dire situation with a suspect's disgruntled family member. Finding out that Tito is her abductor, Joe sets up a search team.


You'll find Italian with its English translation in bold italics.

Joe and Jerry are cruising through town in hopes they'll find Tito or the car. They've been asking around for hours, but aren't having any luck.

"This road dead ends soon, so you might as well turn around."

"Sure thing, boss." He starts to back up when he notices a large blue object under a pile of debris. "Look, boss." He points to the heap of dead wood.

"It looks like the car." Bolting out of his cruiser, Joe begins clearing the brush; Jerry quickly follows suit.

"It is," Joe exclaims as he frantically pushes the huge mass aside.

They first notice a puddle of fresh blood aligned across the back seat. Joe then sees a small shiny object in the corner of the floorboard. Please don't let it be what I think it is, please don't let it be that. He silently begs as he reaches for the object. His hands tremble as he turns it around. It is her badge. He glances at the blood again. There's no way in hell Rachel survived this, he thinks.

"What is it, boss?"

Joe turns her shield around as tears fill his eyes. "It's Rachel's badge." He sniffles.

"Maybe she left us more clues." Jerry quickly surveys the area.

Joe sees the hopeful look on Jerry's face as he glances around. The team is counting on me to find her. So, I need to put my personal feeling aside; do my job the way I'm supposed to. Joe wipes a tear from his face as he turns from the horrific scene. "I want you to get a search team out here, be sure to include air and canines, I'll comb the area."

"Copy that, Captain."

***

Anna is sitting on the dusty wood floor holding her son's lifeless body against her. Tears stream down her pale, wrinkled face as precious memories replay in her mind. "Mia figlia, piccola mia, oh mia dolce, dolce bambina. Sei l'amore della mia vita, il mio sole, il mio tutto. Mi hai mostrato gioia e speranza quando non potevo vederne. Mi hai fatto venire voglia di vivere ancora. Come farò a sopravvivere senza di te? Come potrò mai sopravvivere? Sei la mia forza, la mia roccia, il mio tutto. Non posso andare avanti senza di te. Non posso andare avanti se non sei al mio fianco." My baby, my baby, oh my sweet, sweet baby. You are the love of my life, my sunshine, my everything. You showed me joy and hope when I couldn't see any. You made me want to live again. How am I going to survive without you? How will I ever survive? You're my strength, my rock, my everything. I can't go on without you. I can't go on if you're not by my side. 

Tears mix with the stream of blood coming from her wound as a similar scene replays in her mind. A four-year-old child was happily playing in his yard when a turf war broke out. He caught a stray bullet in the midst of all the commotion. It's your fault Tito is dead; pushing him to come after me the way you did. She tries to break free from her restraints as the blood continues to gush down her face.

Hearing chains clank together, Anna glances towards the noise. "Hai fatto questo a lui Alla nostra famiglia." You did this to him, to our family, she hisses With fire in her eyes, she springs off the floor, Anna runs towards the detective; a knife raised above her head.

When she's just a few feet away, Rachel swings her arm around. Her fist lands with such force that Anna tumbles backward, landing on top of her son.

Rachel frantically tries to free herself as Anna staggers to her feet. I'm going to end this Greco business once and for all. Wiping the red liquid away from her eyes, she climbs off the bed.

"Cagna." You bitch, Anna screams. Jumping off the floor, she barrels towards her, a knife in a striking position.

Remember what she learned in martial arts, Rachel lifts her leg and kicks her in the chest. Anna's small rounded body flies across the room. She lands with a thud against the far wall. That should take care of her. Rachel turns towards the door.

A horrid image of Anna coming up from behind quickly comes to mind. Rachel spins around and finds she hasn't moved an inch. I better check her just in case. She feels dizzy, light-headed as she walks across the room. Just a little farther, she thinks as she continues to stumble towards her attacker.

Blood pools below her as she checks for signs of life. It's finally over, Rachel sighs as she turns back around. Her legs weaken as she staggers towards the door. I have to get help quick. She's halfway across the room when the wooden barrier creaks open.

***

After apologizing to Nick for his accusations, Diaz gave him the rest of the day off. Shaken by the cop's discovery, Nick decides that his free time would be best spent revising his plan.

Nick is driving back to his apartment, thinking about what his bosses had said. The cops are piecing this together a lot faster than I thought. He quickly replays the evidence in his mind. Why am I so worried when all they have is two pizza boxes and a lot of suspicions? What if I left something else behind, a fingerprint, shoe impression or a piece of thread from my clothes? He anxiously shifts in his seat. No, I couldn't have, I was too careful for that. He suddenly recalls what his academy instructor said. "You always take something with you and leave something behind." Maybe I did leave more than a container.

He replays the different visits in his mind. I wiped down what I touched, made sure I didn't leave any evidence behind. I must've forgotten to check somewhere if the cops found the second box. Was it the last one I went to? He glances at the passenger seat. It's right there. So where did that container come from? Maybe it's an old box. What if it's not? I need to get my plan in motion just in case.

He recalls the discrepancy he found in Diaz's business records. I know that his sales are grossly inflated, but how do I prove that's how he's laundering money? Maybe my accountant friend can help. 

He reaches for his pocket and then remembers his phone isn't there. It's got to be in my car somewhere. Pulling to the side of the road, he searches through his vehicle. I'm sure I picked it up, he thinks as he throws the littler into a pile. It's not in that mess. Climbing out of his car, he checks underneath his seats. I don't know where else to look. He continues to glance through his car. Maybe it'd be easier if I get rid of some of this crap. For every piece of trash he picks up, two more falls in its place. Oh, it's no use. He tosses the last handful into the crammed sack. I guess I should go back and check. 

***

Startled by the sudden intrusion Rachel jumps back; the door continues to slowly creak open.

I need to arm myself. She frantically searches for a weapon, but other than a few worn pieces of weighty furniture the room is completely bare. There has to be something I can use. Seeing a poker on the hearth, she grabs it from its holder. I'm ready for you now. She dashing toward the door.

Her vision begins to blur, her head becomes cloudy as blood continues to pour from her wound. I have to kill them before they kill me. She lifts the tool up to her shoulder as she takes a batter's stance. The room spins around her as she nervously shifts her weight. Rachel shakes her head, in hopes that will help but it only made things worse. I need to focus. She takes a deep breath for courage. Hearing heavy boots clomp in the entryway, She uses every bit of strength she has left to swing the metal bar towards her intruder.

Rachel sees a familiar face in the doorway when she peeks her head around. "I... I killed him, I killed my best friend," she sobs as she drops to her knees. Her head becomes foggy, her body weak. "I'm going to..." She falls to the floor beside him.

Characters

Nick, ex-cop determined to take down Diaz and his crew
Diaz, the drug lord, part of the cartel
Julie, Diaz's partner in crime.
Tony, Diaz's right-hand man
Tito Greco, Luigi's twin Bruno Greco's son. Bruno and Luigi were killed by the police in a hostage situation.
Anna, Tito Greco's mom

Berryville PD

Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachel Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.
Sharon, Medical Examiner
Kirk, Forensic tech





 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.