Mystery and Crime Fiction posted November 10, 2018 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Rachel tries to fight off her attacker

A chapter in the book Death by Delivery

Fighting Back

by Mistydawn


Summary
After being fired from the police force, Nick decides to take down the crime ring that made him lose it all. Nick won the drug lord, Diaz's trust and killed ten addicts. He hopes to get rid of more when he's stopped by the police, with drugs in his car. He squirms out of that but he now finds himself facing some armed, gorilla-like men. He manages to kill them with his deadly pen. Returning to the pizza parlor, he's abruptly escorted to his bosses house. With his phone MIA, Nick fears his crime spree has been discovered. Meanwhile, Rachel finds herself in a dire situation with a suspect's disgruntled family members.

You'll find Italian with its English translation in bold italics.

Nick is taken to a moderately sized brick home on the North side of town. It wasn't as elaborate as his partners, but it was nice, in a historic sort of way. Its arched windows, numerous sculptures, and towering white pillars make
you feel like you're getting a small glimpse of his heritage.
 
Nick is taking in the enchanting view that surrounds him when Tony grabs a hold of his arm. "We don't have time for sightseeing." Tony squeezes his arm tighter as he drags him to the door. 
 
Nick finds his two bosses gathered around the table when he steps inside. Diaz turns towards him, an irritated look on his face. "Finally decided to show up, did you?"

"I...I ran into a little trouble, sir. The... The last customer met me on the road... Road with a gun."

"You got it squared away, I assume?"

"Yes... Yes, sir." He pulls the money from his pocket; his device falls to the floor. Nick nervously glances at Diaz hoping he can figure out how to explain his strange object. "That's... That's my Eppie pen, sir. I... I keep it with me, just in case." He shoves it inside his pocket.

"I have more things to worry about than what you carry around."

"Why, what's going on, sir?" He nervously shifts back and forth.

"The police stopped by today."

"What... What did they want, sir?"

"They claim they found our pizza boxes at two different crime scenes. They didn't come out and say it, but I have a feeling the captain suspects us of foul play."

I thought I grabbed them on my way out. He suddenly recalls darting out the back door as someone was coming in. I didn't have a choice. "That's... That's crazy, sir."

"I thought so too until Tony looked into it."

Do they know what I've been up to? "He... He did?" Nick anxiously glances between his two bosses trying to decide what he should do.

"He discovered that it was your customers who died."

"Mine... Mine, sir. I...I don't know how that could've happened."

"Come on boy, fess up, tell me what you did," Diaz roars as he slams his hand on the table.

Nick jumps back. "I...I didn't do anything, sir, I swear." He bursts into tears.

"You didn't do anything to their stuff?"

"No... No. I... I gave them their order the way it was given to me," he cries.

"You didn't mess with the ingredients?"

"No... No, sir. I...I took the pie out of my warmer and handed it to... To them."

"I'm not talking about the damn pie, you dimwit, I'm talking about..."

"I need to see you in the kitchen, now," Julie says as she rises from her chair.

"I'm trying to figure out what's going on; why his customers are dead," Diaz protests.

"That's what I need to talk to you about." 

Furious, Diaz turns towards Nick. "We'll finish this conversation when I return."

Julie leans towards Nick and whispers, "I'll take care of him, hon."

I'm glad one of them bought my pansy act. "Thank... Thank you, ma'am," he whispers as he wipes the tears from his cheek.

Storming into his kitchen, Diaz spins around. "How dare you abase me like that in front of my staff," he growls, glaring into her eyes.

"They're our staff and my ass is on the line just as much as yours. So, don't you dare get an attitude with me." 

Diaz is taken aback by her abrupt rebuttal. "You're right, I'm sorry for taking my frustrations out on you. It's just that this whole damn day has me so upset. First, it was the cops and then the gas leak. I don't want to think about the sales we're losing by having to close down."

"Our restaurant will be running by morning. As far as Nick goes, I don't think he's responsible for these deaths."

"How can you be so sure?"

"He thinks you're accusing him of poisoning the pizza not messing with the dope, which he'd have to do to cause their OD's. The way he talked, I don't think he even realizes drugs are in the containers."

"Surely he's caught on by now."

"He isn't the sharpest tool in the shed."

"That's for sure. Did you see how he cried when I yelled at him?"

"I did and that's why I think it's best if we keep him in the dark about our business." Noticing the puzzled look on his face, she continues. "The less he knows, the better chance we have of him not letting something slip."

"I see your point, but don't you think it's odd that two of Nick's deliveries are dead?"

"It could be a coincidence."

"Maybe."

"The people from his other deliveries are still alive, right?"

"As far as I know." Diaz mulls over the circumstances in his mind. "I suppose you're right, it is probably just a fluke."

***

Rachel tries to free herself from her restraints as Tito brings the knife towards her; Tito's mama is standing by, waiting for the scene to unfold.

Seeing the blade is just a few inches away, Rachel screams again. "Hurry, Captain."

Nick spins around to find no one there. Angered by her trickery, he stomps closer to his victim. "Try and fool me, did you? Well, you'll pay for that too." He raises the knife above his head in a striking position. Lifting her right leg, Rachel swings it around. Her foot lands with a thud against the middle of his chest. A piece of his sternum breaks off, lodging in his lung.

Tito grabs for his chest as he bounces across the hardwood floor. "I... I can't breathe," Tito's lips start turning blue as he gasps for much-needed air.

"Piccola mia." My baby. His mother exclaims. Running over, she scoops him into her arms.

"Aiutami, mamma, per favore aiutami." Help me, Mama, please help me, he begs, clinging on to her tightly.

"Ti prego, non morire, figliolo. Oh, per favore non morire." Please don't die, son. Oh, please don't die, she sobs, rocking him back and forth.

"Ti voglio bene, mamma." I love you, Mama. His arms fall limply to his side as the last bit of air escapes from his lungs.

"Il mio bambino, il mio bambino, no, non il mio bambino." My baby, my baby, no, not my baby, she bawls, holding his limp body against her.

Rachel is trying to get out of her restraints when Tito's mom, glances towards her, fury in her eyes. "L'hai ucciso, hai ucciso il mio bambino." You killed him, you killed my baby. Grabbing the knife off the floor, she runs towards their victim.

***

The station is wall to wall officers awaiting their new assignments. Kirk is checking camera footage, hoping he can find Rachel's attacker while Jerry is advising the local PDs of their situation.

"I want to say a few things before we get started," Joe begins. Realizing he didn't have everyone's attention, he climbs on the desk. "Listen up, people," he yells over the commotion. The room goes silent. "I want everyone out there searching, whether this puts you into overtime or not. I want the officers assigned to foot patrol to question everyone you see. If you find anything, and I do mean anything, I want you to report it immediately, understand?" The group nods in agreement. "Good, let's get suited up." He sees Kirk walking towards him when he climbs off the desk.

"I found the kidnapper's car on a video cam, sir." He hands the captain a tablet. "The blue Camry is registered to Tito Greco."

Joe glances up at his detective, a shocked look on his face. "The Greco's are after her again?"

"I'm afraid so, sir."

"Let's get a team together and head out there."

"That might be a problem, sir. See, the FBI confiscated their house, claiming it was obtained using illegal funds."

"Check the utility companies then."

"I already did, and didn't find anything in their name."

"Check the motels and the rental companies. Jerry, get an APB out on this car."

"Yes, boss."

"Listen up, guys. There's been a new development. We know that Rachel was kidnapped by Tito Greco. We don't have a location, but we do have a description of him and his car." Grabbing a stack of pictures from the printer, Joe starts handing them out. I want you to ask around, see if anyone has seen him or this vehicle. Kirk, run Tito's social, see what you can find. Jerry, inform Eureka Springs and the Sheriff's office about our new discovery."

Characters

Nick, ex-cop determined to take down Diaz and his crew
Diaz, the drug lord, part of the cartel
Julie, Diaz's partner in crime.
Tony, Diaz's right-hand man
Tito Greco, Luigi's twin Bruno Greco's son. Bruno and Luigi were killed by the police in a hostage situation. 

Berryville PD

Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachel Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.
Sharon, Medical Examiner
Kirk, Forensic tech



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.