Mystery and Crime Fiction posted November 2, 2018 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Rachel finds herself in the hands of the Italian Mafia.

A chapter in the book Death by Delivery

Greco's Revenge

by Mistydawn


Summary
After being fired from the police force, Nick decides to take down the crime ring that made him lose it all. Nick won the drug lord, Diaz's trust and killed ten addicts. He hopes to get rid of more when he's stopped by the police, with drugs in his car. He squirms out of that but he now finds himself facing some armed, gorilla-like men. Meanwhile, the Berryville PD is trying to figure out why there are so many OD's. Rachel gets herself into a dire situation in the midst of their investigation.


Nick's nerves finally calmed down by the time he reaches the highway. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it out of there alive. Swearing that I'm a cop and we're setting him up like he's a big fish in the pond. If anything, we'd have him help us get Diaz. What am I doing, talking like I'm still a cop? I gave up that gig a long time ago. I'm doing a lot better without them. Well, I will be once I take down Diaz and his men. If I do it right, I'll never have to work again. I figure pops owes me that much. That's if I can survive my charade. His recent event suddenly comes to mind.

The first man is still trying to decide if it's a real deal or if it's all a big setup. Frustrated from the waiting, Nick starts to leave. He then notices the man's buddies beside him. They were bouncing back and forth, anxiously scratching their goose bumped skin as sweat continues to pour from their body. Those two won't need much convincing, Nick thinks, holding his pen out the window. "One little stick and your troubles will go away." He watches them lick their lips as he dangles his device in front of them. They're just like Pavlov's dogs. Nick chuckles to himself.

"We need to do this, Larry, we really do," Rick says twitching beside him as he keeps an eye on the object.

"I need this shit, Larry, cop or not," Donny says, reaching for Nick's device. Larry smacks his hand away.

"What do you say, Larry, are you willing to give it a try?" Nick asks.

"I'm thinking, I'm thinking." He nervously looks around.

"Your friends are coming down pretty hard." Larry glances at his two pals. "You know what that feels like, right?"

"I've been there a time, or two."

"It's no fun, is it?" Larry continues to watch his buddy. "Are you willing to make them suffer because you're not sure?"

"What if I'm right?"

"Don't you think the cops would've busted you by now if you were?"

"Maybe." He continues to look around.

"How would you feel if your buddies did this to you?"

"I'd be pissed."

"Of course, you would so give me the word, I'll fix them right up and we can all go on our merry way." Nick takes the cap off his pen.

"I... I still don't know about this."

Time for your final push, Nick thinks, eyeing the two men jonesing for a fix. "That's it, I'm done wasting my time with you. I just hope your buddies can survive their withdrawals." He glances towards the two men. "It only gets worse from here, guys, a whole lot worse, trust me." Nick starts to move his object back inside when he hears footsteps running towards him. He looks over to see Rick darting towards the car.

"I... I can't take this shit anymore, Larry, I just can't." Rick snatches the pen away. It's about time you grew a pair, Nick thinks as he hands the device over. Rick turns towards Larry. "I ain't dying out here, in the middle of nowhere waiting for you to decide."

Larry starts to walk towards him, Donny lifts up his gun. "Leave him alone," he warns pulling back on the hammer.

"You want to play like that, fine, I'll play." Larry points his gun at Donny's head. "Either give it back, or your pal takes a bullet to his skull."

"You want this so damn bad then take it." Shoving the pen into the side of Larry's neck, Rick pushes the button. Larry collapses on the ground. The other two are so fervid about getting their fix, they don't realize their friend has OD'd.

Three more victims and all I had to do was sanitize my pen. Plus, I got a hefty bonus on the side. He glances at the backpack full of loot and smiles.

***

A large firm pillow is being pressed against Rachel's face, making it impossible for her to breath. She tries to fight her attacker, but something keeps pulling her arms to the bed. "Help me, please, someone help me," she screams as she thrashes around the mattress. Her metal binding clanks with such force that it startles her awake.

That was a hell of a dream, Rachel thinks, scanning her surroundings. Where am I, who brought me here and why? She soon discovers that she's in an old, rundown log cabin. Its rustic decor consists of a crudely constructed table and a makeshift chair.

I've got to get out of here before they come back. She tries to sit up, but the restraints pull her to the bed. She looks up to find her hands are tied to the iron frame. She then realizes her legs are bound as well. She tries to pull free, but the chains are too strong, and the cuffs are on too tight. There's got to be a way out of this.

She's studying the bed frame, hoping to come up with an idea when she hears footsteps coming from across the room. She glances over to see two figures in the darkened hallway. One appears to be tall and thin, while the other is short and rounded. She tries to make out their features, but with the fireplace being her only source of light, she can't make out any specifics.

The small, plump figure points towards her and whispers something. Rachel strains to hear but can't make out a sound. Chuckling, the second individual answers in what sounds to be Italian as they step into the room.

I didn't piss off any Hispanics, did I? I don't think I did. She tries to focus on the people, hoping that'll give her a clue. The couple continues towards her. Rachel quickly realizes the taller figure looks identical to a suspect, she shot in the field. I thought he died. She thinks back to that day of the terrible shooting. He did and so did his dad. Rachel then remembers him having a twin. Is Tito getting even for what I did to Luigi and his father? Why now, almost a year later? Could he be behind all these deaths? Why would he do that and how? Who's that lady with him and what are they going to do to me?

***

Jeff sees Joe and Kirk waiting for him when he climbs into the vehicle. "Hi, Kirk, sir."

"Jeff."

"I figure we can use an extra hand," Joe explains, starting his car.

"Who better than boy genius? The walking, talking book of knowledge."

"Did you know that the original Book of Knowledge was printed in 1940? There have been several additions since, the last in 2005."

"I bet you've read every one of them." Jeff chuckles.

"Only the latest edition, sir."

"No wonder you're so smart." Jeff sees Jerry mope away when he glances out the window. I need to speak up before he's fired. He starts to say something when another thought occurs to him. The captain might fire me if I do. How can I not say something? Besides, he's stood up for me more times than I can count. Jeff glances at Joe and then at Jerry. Here goes nothing, he thinks. "I don't mean to disrespect you, or your authority, sir, but I don't see how you can blame Jerry for this when Rachel decided to run off on her own."

Joe turns towards his detective so abruptly, Jeff startles back. I have to do this for my buddy's sake. He gulps.

"Are you trying to say this is Rachel's fault?"

"She disobeyed a direct order, sir."

"Jerry is in charge, so it's up to him to make sure everyone follows his command and that their jobs are done correctly without anyone being in harm's way."

"I understand that, sir, but hasn't Rachel disobeyed your orders before?"

"Rachel knows better than to question my authority, my decisions and you should do the same," Joe barks, slamming his hands on the steering wheel.

"I do, sir, but..."

"Then I suggest you drop the matter."

"Yes, sir."

Wanting to help Jerry, Kirk slides to the edge of his seat. "Captain, sir." Nervously clearing his throat, he continues, "She was kidnapped in the park after being told to stay out of sight."

Joe turns around, Kirk anxiously slides back in his seat. "I don't want to hear any more about this from either of you, do you understand?"

"Yes, sir." They reply in unison.

***
Characters

Nick, ex-cop determined to take down Diaz and his crew
Diaz, the drug lord, part of the Mexican cartel
Tony, Diaz's right-hand man

Berryville PD

Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachel Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.
Sharon, Medical Examiner
Kirk, Forensic tech



 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.