Mystery and Crime Fiction posted October 29, 2018 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Bleeding profusely, Rachel is nowhere to be found.

A chapter in the book Death by Delivery

Missing In Action

by Mistydawn


Summary
After being fired from the police force, Nick decides to take down the crime ring that made him lose it all. Nick won the drug lord, Diaz's trust and killed ten addicts. He heads to work hoping to get rid of more when he's stopped by the police, with drugs in his car. He squirms out of that but he's now facing down some armed, gorilla-like men. Meanwhile, the Berryville PD is trying to figure out why there are so many OD's. Rachel gets herself into a dire situation in the midst of their investigation.


Nick glances around trying to figure out what to do. Three, armed, gorilla-like men are coming from behind him and on both sides; a huge bluff in front of him. Maybe I should show them why I'm here. He starts to grab the container beside him when another thought comes to mind. More terrified than ever, he freezes in mid-motion. What if they think I'm reaching for a gun? He looks up to see the men are getting closer. I can't just sit here and do nothing. He quickly surveys the area, in hopes he'll come up with a plan. The only way to do this is if I run someone over. How will I explain all the dents, the blood splatter on my car? I won't have to worry about any of that if I don't do something quick. He envisions a horde of bullets whizzing through his vehicle as he backs up. One good shot would be all it'd take. Nick gulps as he eyes the three mountaineers.

***

Jeff runs back to his Sergeant in a state of panic. "I can't find her anywhere, sir." He breathlessly replies as he continues to search their surroundings.

"We need to keep searching. I'll go north, you head south."

"Copy that, sergeant." Jeff turns to see Joe stomping towards them. "The captain is pissed."

"He's mad at me for letting this happen; like I could stop her."

"We wouldn't have this problem if I went with her." Jeff lowers his head.

"What the hell are you guys doing just standing around? Go, go," Joe orders as he clomps towards them.

"Sorry, sir." Jeff darts south.

"We were regrouping, boss, figuring out where to look next."

Jerry starts to leave, Joe grabs his arm to stop him. "I hope you can come up with a reason why I shouldn't can your sorry ass by the time this is over."

***

Kirk sees Sharon finishing an autopsy when he steps into the room. I'll never know the answer if I don't ask, he thinks as he walks towards her. He usually doesn't question her authority, her wisdom, but her conclusions seems a bit off. This might help solve our case. Taking a deep breath, he continues across the room. "Did you find anything different?" He nervously steps up beside her.

"I'm afraid not, Kirk. I just can't understand how so many can OD in such a short time span. It's just not possible, not this large of an increase." She slams her tools on the table.

"About that." He hesitates a minute, not sure if he should continue.

"Go on, spit it out." She swipes a loose hair from her face.

"You know I normally don't question you."

"But."

"You said so yourself that there's been a large spike."

"Double of what we had last year. But I can't find a single thing to negate any of my findings; my colleagues can't seem to either."

"What if they're being killed with poison, but it's staged to look like an OD?"

"Something would show up in their tox screen or autopsy findings."

"Not if the drug degenerates before you find them, or if it doesn't show up on a routine test. He hands her a tablet. "You have to search specifically for these."

The ME glances at the information. "I thought I covered all the possibilities." Sharon scrolls through the list. "Let me do a little research and see what I can find." 

"You're not mad at me for showing you this, are you, Sharon?"

"Heavens no, I appreciate any help you can give me."

"Good." Kirk breathes a sigh of relief. Sharon is his dear friend, his mentor and he doesn't want any hard feelings between them. 

***

"What the hell do you think you're doing trespassing on private property?"

"I... I..." Nick begins, raising his hands in the air.

"You're lucky I didn't kill you." Throwing the driver door open, he grabs a hold of Nick's arm and jerks him to the ground. Scuffling up on all fours, he tries to crawl away. The man plants his oversized boot into Nick's back as he presses a cold metal object against his head. "You better explain yourself, boy, and you better do it fast."

Nick hears a loud click as the man thrusts the hard metal into his skull. "Please... Please don't kill me. I... I was only doing what I was told."

"Who told you to come out here, huh, who?" He spits tobacco juices beside Nick's head. Wiping his mouth on his filthy sleeve, he continues. "Well, who was it, huh? Answer me, boy, answer me." He whops the trespasser with the barrel of his gun.

Nick glances up to see the other two standing over him; their weapons pointed at his head. "I... I have the pizza you... You ordered. It's... It's in my... My car."

The man looks inside the vehicle and then towards his friends. "What happened to the other man?"

"I... I don't know."

"I think this is all a setup."

The third man sniffs the air. "He smells like a pig to me. He nervously glances around before he continues. "What do you think we should do with him?" he asks, scratching his crotch.

"We haven't done anything wrong yet." Pulling Nick off the ground, he shoves him in the car. "Go on, get out of here. Tell your copper buddies if I find you, or anyone else on my land I'll shoot you dead. You hear me, shoot you dead," he yells.

"This... This isn't a set up I swear. Call Diaz, he'll tell you, better yet, look." He opens the pizza box beside him.

"That doesn't prove shit."

"Then... Then call Diaz." He offers them his phone.

The man knocks it out of his hands. "How do I know Diaz isn't a part of this, taking us down to save his own skin?"

"Diaz would never do that to you, his most valued customers. In fact, he told me to offer you a freebie."

"A freebie, is it? Now I know you're lying, cause, that penny-pinching bastard would never give anything away for free."

Nick laughs nervously. "I was just as surprised as you are until he explained it. He said he knows how hard it is to get clean rigs, since the government's crackdown. So, he invented a contraption similar to an EpiPen that'll make it where you'll never have to worry about it again."

"And he's giving it away for free?"

"That and the smack if you'll try it." Nick starts to reach beside him, the man shoves his gun against his head. "I'm... I'm just getting the device."

"Try anything stupid..."

"I won't." He pulls a pen-shaped object and a bottle of liquid heroin from his pocket. "I put a little of the drug in the top here and you're ready to go."

The first man snatches it out of his hands. "How is this different from the rigs?" he asks as he examines the object.

"You can set the amount, so you won't get too much or too little and a fresh needle replaces the old one after each use."

"How do I know this isn't all part of a setup?" He nervously looks around.

"You don't want to do business, that's fine, I'll go to someone who does." He grabs the pen from the guy's hand. "Don't think Diaz will be too happy when he finds out you wasted all this time." Closing the door, he throws his car in gear.

"Hold up a minute."

"Yeah."

The man glances at his pals before he continues. "Let's see that rig again."

Nick notices sweat pouring down the man's face as he hands it over. He then notices his buddies jittery beside him. You're coming down hard, he thinks. "A click of this button and your pain will go away."

***

"We've searched everywhere boss, and Rachel is nowhere to be found," Jerry replies meekly as he walks towards him.

"What about the canines?"

"They didn't find anything either, boss."

"Jeff, you and I are going to check all the side roads; Jerry, keep looking out here."

"Yes, sir." 

"Jerry, you better hope we find her alive. Your career, your livelihood depends on it." 

Jerry lowers his head. I'm always letting everyone down. His mind returns to the day stray bullets took his wife and daughter's life. It wouldn't have happened if I'd been there to protect them and this wouldn't have happened if I'd went. He wipes a tear from his dirt-smudged cheek.

"Stop your damn moping and go." Joe orders.

"Yes sir, boss, sir."



Characters

Nick, ex-cop determined to take down Diaz and his crew
Diaz, the drug lord, part of the Mexican cartel
Tony, Diaz's right-hand man

Berryville PD

Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachel Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.
Sharon, Medical Examiner
Kirk, Forensic tech



 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.