Mystery and Crime Fiction posted October 16, 2018 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Pulled over with drugs in his car, Nick fears the worst.

A chapter in the book Death by Delivery

Facing the Enemy

by Mistydawn


Summary
After being fired from the police force, Nick decides to take down the crime ring that made him lose it all.
In Chapter 1, Nick won the drug lord, Diaz's trust and killed seven addicts. Meanwhile, the Berryville PD is trying to figure out why there are so many OD's. They're investigating the latest crime scene.

Nick nervously glances around his car, hoping he can figure out where to stash the drugs. I could put it under the mat, behind the visor, inside the seat. No, they'll definitely look there. The cop sounds his siren again, longer than before. "Oh, it's no use, they're going to find it no matter what I do." He slams his hand on the steering wheel. I could try to outrun them, he thinks, glancing at the long stretch of road ahead. He recalls the last fugitive pursuit he was on as a cop and how badly it turned out for the driver. This piece of crap couldn't outrun them anyhow. He glances down at his dashboard. Besides, I don't have enough gas to make it too far. If I answer all their questions, show them respect, they won't have a reason to search my car. 

Signaling, Nick pulls to the side of the road. He grabs his registration from his glove box and his ID from his wallet. That should move things along. Nick realizes the cop is still in his car when he peeks in the rearview mirror. "What's taking him so long?"

His mind drifts back to his grueling days as a beat cop. I bet he's running my plates through the system. He waits a little longer and then glances back again. "I wish he'd get this over with." Nick nervously shifts around in his seat. I better stop doing that, otherwise, he'll get suspicious, have a reason to search my vehicle. He anxiously taps his finger on the steering wheel, trying to find something to preoccupy his mind, His thoughts are such a jumbled mess, he finds it hard to do.

A few minutes later he looks in his mirror again. He sees a second cruiser pull up to the scene. "Two cars, oh, that can't be good." He anxiously watches a third unit pull alongside the others. He glances towards his pocket and then at the box. "I hope they don't link me to the murders too."

***

The detectives pull up to an old farmhouse on the south side of town. With its shabby conditions, the place looks more like a lean-to than a home.

"Last I heard the only thing living here were rats the size of small dogs," Rachel says as she carefully maneuvers her way through thick, overgrown weeds.

"The place isn't fit for them either," Jeff adds.

A putrid stench of decaying flesh nearly knocks them over when they get closer. "This is going to be a bad one, guys." Rachel plugs her nose. They see four half-eaten, rotten corpses by the doorway when they step up to the house. There is a large amount of vomit beside two of the victims; a used rig beside one guy's hand and a bag of brown powder near the other.

"I'd say the wild animals had a feast," Kirk says as he inspects the remains. "According to the bite marks, I'd say they were attacked by a large cat." Noticing a paw print near the victims, he gets a little closer. "I'd say that our culprit is a hungry mountain lion."

"Was it before or..." Gagging, Rachel runs out of the house.

Shaking his head Kirk continues, "By the looks of it, I'd say they've been dead for weeks."

"Think I'll check on her," Jeff says, trying hard not to lose his lunch. 

"You're a couple of wimps." Kirk chuckles.

"What's wrong with them?" Sharon asks as she glances across the yard.

"They can't handle the smell."

"So, what did you find?"

"It looks like a cat got a hold of them after they OD'd." He points to the drug paraphernalia and then the gaping hole in a victim's neck.

"There doesn't appear to be any signs of healing, so I'd say you're right. You know, we've had more OD's in the past few days than we had all last year."

"You're sure it's not a bad batch of drugs?" Rachel asks, stepping back inside. The foul smell hits her, she gags again. "I thought I could do it this time." She turns to leave.

"Rachel, wait." The detective turns around. "Put a little of this under your nose." Sharon hands her a small bottle. Noticing her hesitation, she continues. "Trust me, it works."

Rachel does as she's told. "You're right, that is better."

"It's what gets me through the horrific autopsies."

"So you're certain it's not a bad batch?"

"I'm only finding heroin in the drugs and their Tox screen."

Kirk steps up beside them. "I ran their fingerprints through our system. Their names are Bill Barnes, Charles Hensley, Pete Simmons, and Andy Moffitt. All four are career criminals with a rap sheet a mile long. All of them were recently released, within the last month or so." 

"Did they come from prison?"

"No, Bill came from jail, the rest from prison. It looks like each of them were sentenced to rehab within the last few weeks." He gets an inquisitive look on his face.

"What is it, Kirk?"

"All of our victims going to the same rehab facility can't be just a coincidence. Think I'll check out their employees, see what I can find."

Rachel hangs up her phone. "Dispatch just called, said that there's been a reported death on the other side of town."

"I'll meet you guys there." Grabbing her equipment, Sharon heads out the door.

***

The three pull up to what's left of a decaying structure. It's one of the few places that hasn't been demolished. "Wasn't the city supposed to tear this place down?" Jeff questions.

"They were, but then the historical society got involved; claiming it holds a lot of history. When that didn't work, they encouraged the owner to register it as a historical site in the State and National Registry," Kirk says.

"Wasn't it a brothel at one time?"

"A hospital in the war, and a home for wayward girls too. Some even claim a few outlaws and a couple of presidents stayed here when it was a motel," Kirk finishes.

"No wonder they want to save it."

"There's not much left to salvage," Rachel says as she inspects the large eyesore.

They see their ME shaking her head as she walks down the steps. "How did she beat us here?"

"She wasn't in the bathroom forever like someone we know, Jeff."

"When a guy's got to go, he's got to go." He didn't want to admit to getting sick in fear that it would ruin his reputation.

"For an hour? I've known women who've popped out kids quicker than that."

"It wasn't an hour, Rachel." Jeff rolls his eyes.

"It was pretty darn close." She teases.

"You're so full of it."

"Not as full as you were." She laughs. Halfway across the yard, Rachel turns around. "Hey, Jeff."

"Yeah."

"I wouldn't go much further if I were you."

"Why is that?"

"I'd hate for you to get sick again." Seeing the shocked look on his face she laughs. "You're not as slick as you think you are, bud." She chuckles again. "What do you think, Sharon?"

"According to their body temperature and rigor mortis, I'd say they died between 12 and 2. I didn't find any puncture wounds other than needle marks. There aren't any signs of strangulation or foul play. So, if I had to guess I'd say the COD is a drug overdose. I'll know for sure when I do an autopsy."

"The drugs have to be laced with something," Rachel says, walking around the victims.

"I think so too. Why we can't find it is beyond me." Sharon starts running through the possibilities, hoping to find an answer, but comes up empty-handed. "Think I'll run it by a few colleagues, see what they say."

***

Nick sees three officers walking towards him when he peeks out his window. This can't be good. He glances towards his pocket and then at the pizza box beside him. I could try and stash it, but where? It'd have to be a place they wouldn't think to look. He glances around the car's interior as the cops continue to get closer. Why didn't I think of that before? He reaches for the device. Hearing a tap on the window, Nick turns to see a blue uniform standing by his door. It's too late to hide my stuff now. He starts to move his hand from his pocket when he notices an officer grabbing something on his belt. Terrified, Nick freezes in mid-motion. They think I have a gun.

Characters

Nick, ex-cop determined to take down Diaz and his crew
Diaz, the drug lord, part of the Mexican cartel
Tony, Diaz's right-hand man

Berryville PD

Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachel Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.
Sharon, Medical Examiner
Kirk, Forensic tech



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.