General Fiction posted October 4, 2018 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
I really liked Oklahoma.

A chapter in the book My Life

Oklahoma

by aryr

One of the campgrounds in Oklahoma was great, costly but great, and consisted of about 100 sites. We were able to rent the spot on a monthly basis, a little pricier than some but within reason. However, what we did not expect, probably because we had never experienced it, was that we had to pay a power deposit, also monthly. They simply deducted the electricity used each month from the deposit and we then paid for it. This was the first park that charged separately for the site and the electricity. The nice part was that they returned any unused portion of the deposit to our bank account the day we pulled out.

The other two were the gravel parking lots with the services. The first was a bare bones park. Fenced in, about forty sites, and just enough space between sites to put the slides out. Dogs apparently ran free and every time I took Sallie out, I was accompanied by three pit bulls and a lab mix. Thankfully they were not aggressive, just a lot of sniffing. Now anyone who owns a dog knows that they do prefer to do their business on grassy areas. In this situation it meant that I had to take her outside of the park and let her walk in the ditch while I walked the edge of the road. The other thing we learned from this park was the need for locked caps on the vehicle gas tanks. Because of the rig we only have to put diesel fuel in about once a month, unless we are travelling between sites. We knew it was getting close to time per the gauge, however when we filled it, there was about thirty gallons of fuel missing. Back at the camp site, we discovered a few drippings that confirmed that someone had siphoned the fuel. Guess what? We now have lockable caps on both tanks.

The second park was also a gravel parking lot, but it was set off the road, not fenced in, and I had a dirt road that I could walk the dog on. Again, it was about forty sites. I am thankful the two cats were indoor and at the best just looked out the screen door.

One thing we try to do when we are in an area for about a month, is to check out the museum or if there is a tourist attraction, either one or both. Jim works Monday to Friday, so we have the weekends off. Oh, the other thing we have learned is to ask the locals where to eat or watch the parking lots.

"Hi, can I ask you a couple of quick questions? Are you from this area?" the one guy nodded, "Great, can you suggest a place to eat around here?"

"Yep, I was born and raised here. What kinda food do y'all like?"

"How about Steak, Mexican or maybe Chinese?"

They will eagerly provide you with some possibilities and probably ask you where you are staying and comment on the campground. They will even tell you places of interest to visit. Oh, and this is important- don't try to mimic their accent. We once saw a guy try it, he was in Oklahoma and from Florida. The people he was talking to saw through it immediately. The directions they gave him was to the local McDonald's- not that there is anything wrong with it, but he and his family wanted a full meal type place. I think the children would have preferred the big M. And yes, people do have different accents from different states. I still have mine and I moved from Canada twenty some years ago. Most people think I am from Idaho or Ohio. (smile)

Did I mention that there were casinos? Yes, I know I did, but I wanted to tease you a little. And for the record, we do not go into every casino we see. I think in the years we have been full time RVers I have gone into three, maybe four and only one of those was twice. If we do go into a casino it is with a preset amount to spend and when it is gone, that is it. I have been lucky enough to make three to four times the amount I take in, where as Jim loses his. But that is life. Besides I feel like I am supporting my fellow Native Americans.


To be continued..........




Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.