Biographical Non-Fiction posted October 1, 2018 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
What we carry with us.

A chapter in the book My Life

Clothing

by aryr

Now back to Oklahoma. This is definitely an interesting state. As in all of the states there is an immense history regarding the Native American Indians.

However, first I would like to address a couple of questions that arose from the last posting. The tire tax is something some states put in place and other states don't, we still have to pay vehicle insurance, on all driven vehicles and on the towable camper. A CDL is a 'commercial driver license' which is required by tractor trailer trucks, buses, anything commercial including taxis- it is additional educational to a regular driver course, there are lots of rules and regulations for commercial drivers- such as the weight they carry, how many hours they can be on the road behind the wheel- I think it is 14 hours and then they have to stop for 10, annual medical check-ups etc. I am not sure if your country has such restrictions- I watched a program a few weeks ago about a triple towed grain truck that had to do a 500 mile round trip in 24 hours. Wow. The cat and dog travel in the rig with us, the rig and the camper are separate and when we hitch up it is a similar hitch to a semi and tractor trailer connection.

I do love the questions that readers ask, and I will definitely try to answer them, if I don't know the answer I will say so and then add in the information if someone provides it.

Okay, Oklahoma. There is an abundance of rugged terrain, with sandy stretches and tornadoes. There are several states that tend to have large numbers of tornadoes. Oklahoma and Kansas are two of the prominent ones.

As I was mentioning there is a large Native American Indian influence, but as well there is an equally large cowboy population. The whole ranch thing- cowboys, horses, cattle. One thing I have noticed in areas such as this, there also tends to be a profound amount or number of snakes- yuk I really dislike snakes of any kind and if they are poisonous, then I am afraid they become dead. Yes, I am aware that in some states, they are considered to be endangered species and it is illegal to kill them. In that case, it is me against them and they will die. Sorry.

I enjoyed the artifacts, the museums related to the cowboy history. I never knew that there were so many different cowboy hats, boots etc. And each one had a specific purpose. There were hats worn when herding cattle, different than those worn for social occasions such as church or gatherings and dates, or those for shopping. We, of course, treated ourselves to one hat each and one pair of boots each. After all, we do have limited storage space. I love them and wear mine at least twice a week, regardless of where I am. Jim wears his boots more frequently than his hat.

Speaking of which, when one becomes a full time RVer, it is good to establish some rules or guidelines. Such as -if you haven't used it in six months it is time to get rid of it. Unfortunately, this life style is not for those who think 'what if' or 'just in case'- you do not have the room. Another good one is -if you get something new you have to get rid of something old. Now, I am much better at this concept than my husband. I decided that I wanted an air-fryer rather than cooking with hot grease/ oil, this does of course take up a little space, much like a toaster oven, so when I got it, I got rid of a bra that I had been planning to. My poor other half has not clued into the fact that I have a shopping bag with old bras and panties, clean of course, that I use for this purpose. When I got my cowboy hat and boots, I got rid of one bra and one pair of panties, smart thinking on my part. While Jim got rid of pair of shoes he was a little tired of and a baseball cap. Life can be interesting.

Our wardrobes consist of what I refer to as a dress up outfit each and a funeral outfit each with appropriate shoes. Thankfully I am not a shoe collector. Jim actually has more shoes than I do. The rest includes three pair of shorts and jeans, Jim has about ten t-shirts and I have five pull on tops and five t-shirts. We each have four long-sleeve pull on types. Jim has a couple of sweat shirts. Light weight jackets and winter coats round out our items.

Every person has their preference for storing clothing, towels, sheets. It all depends on how much space you have, there is no right or wrong way. Some things I roll, some are folded and stacked up, others are folded and stacked front to back in a drawer. It is up to you. I have learned that I do like rolling my sheet sets, that way I get the complete set. Oh, fyi, we do have a king size bed as well as a full-size bed sofa.

We may live on wheels, and our home follows us down the road, but we do have room. Of course, we don't have a tub, but we do have a large shower, as well as an apartment size washer and dryer. And our kitchen is a galley type which is big enough for one (me), but I have a dishwasher and a full size two door fridge with the freezer across the bottom. The dinette table will sit four easily and can be extended to seat six. Our living area has a large TV and electric fire place (there is a tv in the bedroom and one outside). Jim has his own built in desk area and I just go where ever I please with my laptop. A lot of times that means I am outside at the picnic table under the awning. Generally, I would say it would be like living in a one-bedroom apartment, except we move it around.

To be continued.........



Book of the Month contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.