General Fiction posted September 28, 2018 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Feather and B.B. find each other

A chapter in the book Baker's Dozen

Reunion

by Bill Schott


CHARACTERS:

Ben Baker     low-level White House worker forced to fight others as Presidential punishment
CC. Connors President's Chief of Staff
Rusty Pipes  Undersecretary of Cabinet Affairs
Tyler Angles Assistant to the Assistant Secretary of the Interior
Tim Bends    Assistant to the Assistant Post Master General
B.B. Bauxers Assistant to the Assistant Secretary of Agriculture
Orrin Breefs  Assistant to the Assistant of the Communications Secretary
Feather Waites former wife of B.B Bauxers
Ivan Zaroff    husband of Orrin Breefs
Woody Post Journalist
Cpl. G.I. Joseph Connor's adversary in Vietnam
==============================================================

The story so far...

Ben Baker, for some reason not yet disclosed, has been sent by Chief of Staff, C.C. Connors, to a secret five-hundred-acre compound somewhere in the American Northeast to find and kill a dozen people.

Rusty Pipes, another White House staffer, is aiding Connors.

Tyler Angles, Tim Bends, BB Bauxers, and Orrin Breefs, other White House low-level staff, have also been sent to fight.

Feather Waites and Ivan Zaroff are the spouses of Bauxers and Breefs and likewise sent to the compound.

Since arriving, two have already died.

At this point Baker is sleeping in the woods preparing to kill the others. Angles was killed by Bends, then ejected from a helicopter. Bends parachuted, naked, into the forest and was gravely injured.

Breefs was killed prior to a helicopter landing and Bauxers and Rusty Pipes were ejected before the vehicle crashed.

Woody Post has survived and is now being threatened by Feather Waite and Ivan Zaroff.


==============================================================

Ben Baker heard something crawling through the brush behind him. Still in his sleeping bag, covered by defilade, he tried to twist slowly inside the cloth shell to see what was making the sound. Finally in his line of sight, through the dead leaves and limbs of his camouflage, he saw the hideously disfigured form of a man. Covered entirely in dirt and what looked like glistening tar, a person was slowly dragging himself in a direction that was leading him to Baker's position.

Meanwhile, at the crash site, Feather Waite shouted again at Woody Post, who knelt naked and trembling before her.

"Where's my husband?!"

"He's not a Doom Domer, Feather," said Ivan Zaroff, husband to Orrin Breefs. "I think he's a reporter."

"Feather!" came a yell from the other side of the downed helicopter.

"Bobby?!" she screamed, then ran to the naked man, who was on his hands and knees.

"Good Lord!" yelled Ivan, looking at the two reunited. Then, smiling, he shouted for his husband.

"Orrin! Where are you?! Orrin! It's Ivan, Babe! It's Ivan!"

With no answer and after circling the downed chopper, the only other person visible was Rusty Pipes. He lay on the ground, face up, but twisted slightly at the hip. He was staring at the sky, though his eyes slowly moved from left to right, as if taking in his situation.

"Mr. Pipes. Where is my husband?"

"I can't move," said Pipes, softly, not looking at Ivan. "Can't feel my legs. Do I have legs?"

"Tell me where Orrin is and I'll help you find your legs."

Pipes moved his eyes back and forth, as if remembering how he got to this point. He slowly moved his right arm off the ground towards his chest. His fingers were somewhat numb, but he could feel the holster under his ripped coat. Empty.

"Ivan!" called Feather. "Ivan! It's Orrin!"

He ran over to her with an anticipatory smile, which turned to a shocked and disbelieving stare. Under the massive hull of the helicopter was the crushed body of his husband Orrin Breefs.

Running to him, he held the faintest hope that all he saw was worse than what was real. His husband may merely be trapped. However, the eyeball burst in Breefs' skull, which immediately seemed to be the exit for the bullet hole above his ear, dashed all those hopes.

Returning sadly to the others, he looked at them for some clue that all of this was a horrible dream.

Finally, Feather spoke up. "We have to get out of here and get to the encampment. They will probably come here once the helicopter fails to return and kill us all outright."

"What about Pipes?" asked Woody. Then turning to Ivan, "He killed Orrin."

Ivan looked to the three, though he wasn't seeing them. A thousand thoughts ran through his head as he relived his entire life, including boyhood, military school, work, meeting Orrin, and his and Feather's kidnapping. The more he mused, the further his face sank to an emotionless mask.

"B.B.?" he asked. "Need some clothes?"

"We got ours from the two shits that brought us here," said Feather.

"I guess they figured we weren't dangerous enough to be watched constantly," said Ivan, without expression.

"So I grabbed this one guy’s hand and snapped his wrist," said Feather. "I learned that in self-defense class. Damn if it didn't work like a charm. He dropped to his knees. He was very obedient after that and lay right down on his belly."

"Mine didn't survive the throat punch," said Ivan.

"What about the one on his belly?"

"He's naked, wrapped around the trunk of a tree with boot laces tying his hands to his feet."

"You should get Pipes' clothes, B.B." said Ivan, calmly pulling a fighting knife out of its scabbard. "His back is broken, or I'm certain he'd help you."

"We have to clear out fast," said Feather. "Just grab his pants and shoes. Get his jacket, too."

"You want to kill him, Ivan?"

"No. I want him to live the rest of his life in this field."

Bauxers got the trousers, shoes and coat; Woody pulled off the man's underwear and shirt. They all ran back to the trees.

Rusty Pipes lay silent on the ground the rest of the day. Falling asleep, he was awakened by what he thought was a dog's snout in his face. Then came the snarling, the teeth, and the pain.


 



Recognized


Image from Google
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.