Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 30, 2018 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Rachel goes head to head with her attacker.

A chapter in the book Deadly Confession

Final Showdown

by Mistydawn


 

Summary
An attempt was made on Rachel's life because she witnessed a murder. Meanwhile, Luigi kills 4 more and tries to kill Rachel. Finding out he didn't succeed, Luigi tries again. He kidnaps Rachel in his third attempt. 

 

Joe and Jerry watch their team carefully comb the park, hoping they can figure out what happened to Rachel. Dark clouds move across the sky, warning of a pending storm. They need to hurry this up. Seeing a lab tech walking towards them, he turns around. "Do you have something for us, Kirk?"

"The blood on the case isn't Detective Webb's, it's our perp's, and it's dried, so I'd say it's been there for some time."

"I bet it was from this morning's crime, boss."

"That still doesn't prove she's safe."

Hearing footsteps behind him, Joe spins around. "Sir, the dogs picked up her scent at the bird feeder. They tracked it to the parking lot, but lost it there."

"He does have her." Joe nervously runs his fingers through his hair.

"We don't know that for sure, boss."

"He's right, sir, she could've had one of her friends pick her up," Kirk adds.

"He has her, I know he does." The dispatcher's voice blares across their radio. All units, please be advised, the suspect is heading towards the railroad station.

Joe recalls all the bodies they found buried there a few years ago. It was one of the few cases he hasn't been able to solve. He glances at his detective, a terrified look on his face. "We've got to save her."

*****

The ticking gets louder as Max continues towards the woods. I've got to get the bomb as far away as I can. Carefully positioning the small box in his hand, Max tosses it into the woods. The parcel explodes into a thousand pieces when it crashes into the tree. Hearing footsteps behind him, Max spins around. He sees Bonnie running towards him, tears streaming down her face.

"I'm so glad you're alright," she cries, wrapping her arms around him.

"I am but I'm not too sure about our feathery friends." He points toward the birds hovering above their demolished home.

"How did that happen?"

"The box exploded when it hit the tree."

Bonnie glances at the forest and then at Max. "We... We could've been killed." 

Feeling her body tremble, Max pulls her in close. "We're safe now, honey."


"Now, but what if you hadn't come home? What if..." Bonnie starts to cry.

"It's best we don't think about that." Max shivers, pushing horrific thoughts from his mind.

A terrifying thought pops into her head. "You don't think the same guy that's after Rachel did this, do you?"

"It could be."

"That means she isn't safe here; none of us are. Oh, Max, what are we going to do, what are we going to do?"
 

"I'll have patrol sit on our house until this is over." Max hears leaves rustle in the near distance. He looks towards the area but doesn't see a thing. There are plenty of places for him to hide. "We should probably go in." 

"Yeah, lets."
 

"Oh Bonnie, Max I'm glad you're alright," Jeanie says as they step through the door.

"I'm going to call Joe; tell him what happened, get a few officers out here." He pulls his cell from his pocket.

"What happened out there?" Jeanie questions.

 Bonnie quickly explains as Max makes his call.

"We... We could've been killed." Shaken, Jeanie plops down on the couch.

"Max is going to have patrol keep an eye on our house until this is over."

"Honey, the captain wants to talk to you." Max hands Bonnie his phone.

"Hello. I don't remember a truck, Joe and neither do Jeanie or Emma. We will. Is Rachel... The line goes dead before she has time to finish. "Call him back and ask, Max."

"I'm sure he would've told us if something is wrong."
 

I hope you're right, she thinks, gazing out the window.

 

***
The driver makes a quick right, then a left. Rachel tries to grab the gun as it continues to slide past her. I was so close. Seeing it coming towards her, she tries again. Items clank together when she scoops up the weapon.

"What's going on back there?" Throwing his van in park, Luigi stomps towards her.

Rachel jumps from the sudden noise, the weapon flies out of her hands. She picks up another object and whirls it around. It smacks the back of his legs; he tumbles face first to the floor.

"You're going to pay for that, bitch."

 That's what you think. Springing to her feet, Rachel swings the bar towards his head. Luigi grabs the metal object and jerks it away. "I don't think so." He pushes her away.

Stumbling over the tools; She thuds against the back door. Rachel starts to become dizzy, light-headed; her vision begins to blur. She shakes her head, hoping to clear the fog, but the feeling only increases. I can't pass out now, I just can't, she thinks as she fights to stay awake.

"You won't get away from me this time," Luigi says as he stomps towards her.

Rachel scoops the rifle off the floor. "Hold it right there, dirtbag." She cocks her gun.

"It's not loaded, you idiot." 

"A good cop is always prepared." She glances towards a box of shells. "Hands where I can see them, now." The van door slides open. Startled, Luigi turns around.

"No one threatens my son." Bruno pulls the trigger.

***

It's not too far now" Joe pushes down on the pedal. 

Jerry grabs for the dash. "And you wonder why I refuse to ride with you, boss."

"I' haven't had an accident yet."

"Let's not break that record today."

Seeing his partner's death grip on the plastic, he laughs. "Relax, I got this." They hear a panic-stricken voice blare across the radio. "Shots fired, shots fired, in the railroad station.

"Hold on."

"Oh shit." Joe stomps on the accelerator. Jerry falls against his seat. "Don't kill us, boss." 

"I won't." He pushes the pedal down further.

***

Rachel dives behind a stack of tools when the gunfire begins. I hope this protects me, she thinks, hunkering down as far as she can go. A few more shots ring out and then the van grows eerily quiet. Is it over, are they gone? She peeks through the pile of junk. I don't see anyone. She starts to rise up when she hears someone coming towards her. She reaches for her gun. You're not getting rid of me that easy. She positions the weapon in front of her. I'm ready for you now. She nervously taps her finger on the trigger as the footsteps get closer. Show your face, I dare you. The intruder is just a few inches away. She grips the weapon tighter as she takes a deep breath. Ready, aim...

Randy notices a red substance oozing from under the tools. "Please don't die on me; please, don't die," he cries running towards her.

Rachel is about to pull the trigger when she recognizes the voice. "Randy?"

Seeing transmission fluid toppled over beside her, he lets out a sigh of relief. "I'm so glad you're alright." He wraps his arms around her.

"What... What happened to..."

"They can't hurt you anymore."

"Thank you for coming to my rescue." She hugs him again.

"How sweet, a lovebird reunion. Too bad I have to cut it short." Leo raises his gun. 

***
The detective see the crime unit taping off the area when they pull up to the scene. They then notice EMT's wheeling bodies across the yard. "It looks like we're too late." Joe's eyes start to mist up as memories replay in his mind.

"We don't know one of them is her, boss."

"Where is she then?" Wiping the tears from his cheek, Joe glances around the field.

"Over there, boss." He points to the corner of the lot.

"She's going to get an earful for doing what she did." Drying his face one last time he jumps out of his car; Jerry is right behind him. Grabbing Rachel's arm, Joe spins her around. "What the hell were you thinking, sneaking  off like that?" You had us all worried."

"Someone had to stop them; isn't that right, Randy?"

"Yep, he smiles."

"By the way Captain, I was right about the perp being Tito's twin. Yep, I was right, and you were wrong, again. That's how many now, Jerry?" She looks over and sees he's smiling ear to ear. "Oh yeah, four, count it four in a row." She holds her fingers in his face. "Maybe one day you'll learn to listen." Straightening her clothes, she walks away.

Joe glances over at his Sergeant, a solemn look on his face. "I think I've created a monster.

"I believe so, boss." He laughs.

 

Characters
Jeanie, Rachel's mom
Emma, Rachel's cousin, but she is 
like her sister.
Max, Bonnie Webb, Rachel's dad and step mom.
Randy, Rachel's neighbor
Bruno Greco, He's in the Import business. He also has numerous side companies to cover up illegal proceeds.
Luigi, Tito Greco 28-year-old twins. Live with and work for Bruno. They thought he was their dad until recently.
Charles Maroni, Luigi and Tito's biological father.

Leo, hired hitman.

Berryville PD
Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachel Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.
Nick Johnson, new Detective

 

 

 



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.