Western Fiction posted September 26, 2018 Chapters: -Prologue- 1... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Looking back on how it all began

A chapter in the book Wilderness Redemption Road

Prologue

by Earl Corp


Prologue

Outside of Carter Holler, Kentucky
1860

Roseanna Carter was on the cabin porch in her favorite rocking chair enjoying the sun and breeze on her face after Sunday dinner with her kin. She felt every bit of her 78 years of age as her nine grandchildren gathered around her. Aside from the molasses cookies she generously doled out, the children loved Story Time with Grandma the best.  Grandma’s stories were filled with adventure from the days when where they sat was considered the frontier. Or, they might be funny like when the raccoon got in the flour barrel and everybody thought it was a ghost. They could be romantic, like when she and Grandpa got together.
“Tell us a story  Granny, “ little Caroline Carter said. “Tell us how you and Grandpa met." 
“Naw tell us about Grandpa and the Shawnees,” Cousin Billy Carter insisted.
“I want to hear about the ‘coon,”said  Jarod Carver.
 
Roseanna’s youngest son, Nate Carver, was leaning against one of the porch posts smoking his pipe listening to the exchange. Nate removed the pipe from his mouth and spit.
“Hell, maw, start from the beginning, “  Nate said.
 
“You mind your tongue in my house Nathan Carter, I’ll not stand for blasphemes,” Roseanna said.
Roseanna fixed a blistering gaze on Nate that shook him down to his boots and made him feel 12 again.
“Yes’m," a chagrinned Nate said.
Rosenna averted her gaze to the sky as if she was getting help remembering the tale she was going to tell.
 “Well let me see, now I wasn’t there for the whole affair, mind you, but to the best of my recollect it happened this-a-way nigh onto 60 years ago,” Roseanna began.
 




This is the Prologue to my novel Wilderness Redemption Road. I wrote a back cover blurb that was well received. I hope this gathers interest also. I intend to keep it going as long as there is interest.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Earl Corp All rights reserved.
Earl Corp has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.