Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 25, 2018 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Rachel is being held hostage by Luigi.

A chapter in the book Deadly Confession

Hostage Situation

by Mistydawn


Summary
An attempt was made on Rachel's life because she witnessed a murder. Meanwhile, Luigi kills 4 more and tries to kill Rachel. Finding out he didn't succeed, he plans to try again. He's able to grab Rachel in his final attempt. 


Jerry is sorting through a pile of papers from the top of his desk when the phone rings. I'll never get this done, he thinks as he reaches for the noisy device. "Berryville PD, Sergeant Bower speaking. Just a minute, please."

"Joe, Bonnie Webb is on line two. She seems really panicked." Jerry hands him the phone.

"Hello. What do you mean she's gone, Bonnie?" He puts the phone on speaker.

"She must've snuck out of her bedroom window. I tried calling her, but it went to voicemail. She always answers her phone, Joe, always. You know that."

"Ok Bonnie, calm down." He waits for her to take a few deep breaths before he continues; Jerry checks the GPS on her phone. "When was the last time you saw her?"

"Around eleven thirty, she said she wanted to take a nap. I knocked on her bedroom door around one, but she didn't answer. So, I thought she's still asleep. Oh, Joe, this is all my fault. I should have known better than to leave her alone like that. I should've known better," she sobs.

"It's alright Bonnie, we'll find her."

"How?"

"We're tracing her phone right now." He glances towards Jerry.

"She's at the park, boss."

 "I'll pick her up and bring her to you."

"Please hurry."

"I will." Joe slams the phone on the cradle. "I'm going to kill that girl, I swear I am. Out roaming the park with a target on her back, how stupid can she be? Oh, just wait until I find her, I'm going to... To... I don't know what I'll do, but I guarantee you she won't do this again," he yells, stomping towards the door.

Jumping out of his chair, Jerry runs after him. "Wait for me, boss," he yells, trying to catch up. Hopefully, I'll be able to calm him down before we get there, Jerry thinks, bolting out the door.

***

Joe jumps out of his car, the second he and Jerry pull into the park. "Rachel?" he yells, quickly surveying the area. He's halfway down the hill when Jerry calls him back.

"Hey, boss, I found her cell by the bird feeder. There's a cup of spilled bird seed by it too." Jerry flips her phone over. "That's not a good sign, boss,"

"What is it?" Joe anxiously bends over top of him.

"There's blood on the cover." Grabbing the phone, Joe quickly inspects it. "Didn't patrol just say they saw a black van leave this area?"

"Get a search party out here now," Joe orders, running back down the hill.

*****

Rachel is trying to come up with a plan when the kidnapper swerves onto a rugged dirt road.
"They won't be able to find me now." Various items slide across the floor. Hearing the loud commotion, he looks in his rearview mirror. "That's one way to clean house." He laughs, glancing towards the rugged path.

Slowly opening her eyes, Rachel scans the items that have recently moved her way.
They aren't going to help me. She turns her head to the other side and starts looking through that new selection, Oh, but you will. She carefully reaches for an object.

*****

Bonnie and Jeanie are pacing across the front room floor, waiting for their troublesome daughter. Emma is keeping busy tidying the kitchen.

"I wish he'd call and let us know she's alright," Jeanie says as she swerves to miss Bonnie.

"Maybe I should find out if he has her yet." She starts to reach for her cell when someone knocks on the door. The three dash across the room.

"Rachel!" They exclaim as they throw the barrier open. The frightened young man takes a quick step back. Realizing it's not Rachel, Jeanie and Emma walk away.

"I have a package for Max Webb." The shaken man holds a box in front of him.

"Thank you." Grabbing the container, Bonnie closes the door. "I was hoping it was them."

"Me too."

Bonnie looks at the package again. "I don't remember Max mentioning a shipment today. He has so much on his mind lately, I bet he just forgot." She places it on their dining room table. Hearing a car pull into the driveway, she runs to the window; Jeanie and Emma are at her side. "It's only Max," Bonnie lets the lacy curtain fall into place.

'I'm sure they're on their way."

"I hope so, Emma." Bonnie glances at her watch.

"Honey, I'm home," Max announces as he walks through their door.

Bonnie rushes to his side. "You'll never believe what our daughter did today."

"What did Rachel do now?"

Bonnie looks at him with a puzzled expression on her face. "How did you... Oh, never mind. She climbed out of her bedroom window."

"She what!"

"She snuck out of her window. Joe traced her phone and believes she's at the park. He said he'd bring her home, but that's been over an hour ago. I'm worried that something's happened, Max; I'm so worried that..." Throwing her arms around her husband, she starts to cry.

"It'll be alright, Bonnie, I promise."

"How can you be so sure?"

"You haven't heard anything, right?"

"I wouldn't be so worried if I had." She wipes a tear from her face.

"So, it stands to reason that he has her."

Bonnie pauses for a second. "I suppose your right. Your shipment came for you; it's on the table."

"I don't remember ordering anything." Max picks up the small box and inspects it. "Hmm, that's strange."

"What is it, honey?" Bonnie asks, walking towards him.

"It doesn't have a return address or a postal code."

"All I know is some gentleman knocked on our door and said he had a package for you."

"Now I think about it, Bonnie, I don't remember seeing his delivery truck."

"I didn't either. Did you, Emma?"

"No, and he didn't have a uniform on either."

"I'm going to take it outside until Joe gets here. Let him decide what we should do."

"Be careful, Max," Bonnie warns as she opens their front door.

"I plan to." When everyone is a safe distance away, Max carefully carries it outside. I need to get it as far away from our house as possible, he thinks, heading towards the back. He'd just made it past their storm shelter when he hears a loud ticking noise coming from inside the container. "It's a bomb," he yells, running towards the woods.

*****

Joe frantically searches the entire area, hoping he's wrong. Discovering it's completely deserted, he runs back to his partner. "She's not in the park or the stores."

Jerry hangs up his phone. "The search team is on their way, boss."
 
"Good." Joe anxiously glances arournd hoping to figure out where Rachel might go.

"What if a friend gave her a ride home?"

"I thought about that, but if I call and she's not there, everyone will panic."

"They won't if l call. Especially if I use this voice," he says in a deep tone. He takes the phone out of his partner's hand and redials the last incoming call.

"They'll recognize my number, Jerr."

"It won't show up on their caller ID." The call connects. "Hello, this is Randy, Rachel's neighbor, can I talk to her, please. Ok, thank you." Jerry hands the cell to his partner. "She could be with her friends, boss."

"He has her, I know he does."

*****

Rachel reaches for the tall, slender object, but finds that it's too far away. It's the only thing that'll get me out of this alive. She inches her way closer. Something rattles underneath her; Lowering her arm she quickly closes her eyes. I hope he didn't see that.

Luigi glances in his rearview mirror. "Decided to wake up, did you?" Pulling to the side of the road, he slams on his brakes. The tools slide across the floor.

Rachel sees her chosen weapon lying in the back. I need to find something to defend myself. She quickly scans the item nearest to her. I've got to make one of them work. Making a selection she moves the object to her side. I hope I can do this. She takes a deep breath for courage. She starts to take another when she hears police sirens screaming in the distance. Rachel glances at her attacker. They may not get here in time. She nervously readjusts her grip.

Luigi sees red and blues coming from all directions. His bloody takedown suddenly plays in his mind. His body starts to tremble from his horrific thought. I've got to get out of here while I still can. Throwing his van into gear, Luigi speeds away.
 

Characters
Jeanie, Rachel's mom
Emma, Rachel's cousin, but she seems
like her sister.
Max, Bonnie Webb, Rachel's dad and step mom.
Bruno Greco, He's in the Import business. He also has numerous side companies to cover up illegal proceeds.
Luigi, Tito Greco 28-year-old twins. Live with and work for Bruno. They thought he was their dad until recently.
Charles Maroni, Luigi and Tito's biological father.

Leo, hired hitman.

Berryville PD
Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachel Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.
Nick Johnson, new Detective



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.