General Fiction posted September 21, 2018 Chapters:  ...30 31 -32- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Rachel and Daniel talk about their future.

A chapter in the book My Brothers' Keeper

The Talk

by aryr

My Brothers' Keeper

PREVIOUSLY: Rachel is a forensic medical examiner, who after receiving disturbing news, decides she needs some alone time to think. So, she goes to a B&B in a large park, but gets lost, Gray, the wolf, finds her incapacitated and goes home to Daniel to get him to help her. Daniel is a Native American and a successful lawyer. She decides to stay with him in his modern cave rather than the B&B. Her family is aware and that she is safe. She confesses her medical history, and of the discovery of a chimera-her twin brother that her body had absorbed. Gray gets hurt but survives. They visited with family and explained the chimera. They even caught some rustlers ..........
NOW TO CONTINUE................................................



Sheriff Bishop echoed Daniel's reply. He was proud of what she had done, there was still some country in her, and he chuckled to himself.
Rachel excused herself, so she could tidy up and her mother insisted on helping her.

"Mom, what should I say to Daniel, I really like him, and I think he likes me. How do I tell him that I am going to resettle here? What if he asks me to go home to Toronto with him? Maybe, I was too hasty in accepting Doc. Nelson's offer. God, what a mess I have made, and I am not talking about the blood."

"Honey, I think he will do everything he can to make sure you are happy. Just be honest with him."

She washed, changed with her mothers help, and was ready to rejoin the group.
"If Bob will help me, I'll make sandwiches for everyone." Sue commented as she smiled and held her hand out to Bob.

The excitement of the catch, the arrest, the check still fluttered through the house. The workers outside had been instructed to wait for lunch before returning to work. Cold tea and lemonade were provided.

"Daniel, after lunch I would like to talk to you, can we walk around a bit?"

"Sure, I think it would do both of us good to have a few minutes to ourselves. Just show me the way, okay?"

Lunch was very much appreciated and quickly devoured, everyone had worked up an appetite by anxiety alone.

Both Rachel and Daniel offered to help with the cleanup, but Bob and Sue reassured them that things were covered and to go have some quiet time. They headed down a path that would take them to the tree line. They would be far enough away to talk in private, yet still in view of the house.

"Rachel, I love you. You scared the shit out of me when you showed up and tackled that guy. Then, when he hit you, my heart stopped. While the Doc took care of you, I talked to your dad, hell I just said my piece in front of everyone. I asked his permission to marry you and he said yes." Daniel dropped to one knee, "Rachel, will you marry me?" At this time Gray who had been a short distance away, ran to his master's side and sat, holding one paw up. Rachel laughed and ruffled the fur on his head.

"Will you please get up, both of you. I am sure there are people watching from the house, from everywhere. I have something to say and if you still want to get married after, then my answer is yes, most definitely yes. Now get up!"

"Nothing you say can change my mind. Before I get up, this ring belonged to my Uncle George's mother. He gave it to his wife but when she died he retrieved it and since they never had children, he gave it to me. So, I give it to you, my love." He placed the ring on her finger, then stood.

"Wow, oh my goodness! Daniel, I love you so much. It is beautiful." She threw her arms around his neck and drew him in for a deep kiss. After a few seconds, they stepped apart and she swept her hand in the direction of several stumps, "Shall we sit? This is going to take a while."

They chose stumps that faced each other, and they were able to hold hands while she talked. She told him about the call with Betty, of her anger, frustration and feelings of betrayal. Then she spoke about her talk with her mother, which lead to the talk with Doc. Nelson and the job offer, which she took based on her talk with him and her two co-workers. Silence prevailed for a few moments. Even Gray who lay by her side did not make a sound, in fact, he didn't even move.
Just at the point that she thought her heart would break into a thousand pieces, Daniel did two things. He stood and grabbed her to pull her close, and he laughed.

"Honey, I love you. It doesn't matter where we live, we will work things out. We are together, we are a family, you, me, Gray and any children we are blessed with."

Rachel slumped into him, relief washed over her as she wrapped her arms around him.

"I still want to go to the cave on a regular basis, it was our first home. Besides Gray needs the great outdoors." She muttered into his chest.

Meanwhile, there were several people back at the house, whooping and jumping for joy as they witnessed the couple in the distance hugging and the silver-gray wolf prancing around them.

The End



Characters: (better late than never)

Gray- Daniel's wolf, raised from a pup.
Daniel Whetung-White Eagle, native Canadian Indian, lawyer.
Daniel's Uncle George-Eagle Feathers-now dead.
Daniel's Administrative Assistant-Bettie
Todd, Phyllis and Billy- B&B locals in village close to Daniel.
Dr. Peters- Gray's surgeon, Harold-vet tech/assistant.
Rachel Smyth- forensic MD in New York City, chimera victim-Daniel Robert
Smyth.
Robert & Suzette Smyth (Bob & Sue) Rachels parents own the Smyth Ranch-
Beautiful Attitudes- a petting zoo and therapeutic animals.
Phillip /lawyer -Rachels brother & his wife- Tanya, twins Samantha, Peter.
Timothy /ex Navy/boat builder-Rachel's brother & his wife- Claire, baby Sylvia.
Rachel's co workers -Betty studying to be a RN, Walt an excellent aide.
Doc Nelson-community doctor and Rachel's new boss.
Sheriff Bishop -prominent figure in the community.




Thank you to all who have enjoyed this adventure.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.