Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 21, 2018 Chapters:  ...13 14 -15- 16... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Bruno and Luigi are surrounded by the law.

A chapter in the book Deadly Confession

Takedown

by Mistydawn


Summary
An attempt was made on Rachel's life because she witnessed a murder. Meanwhile, Luigi kills 4 more and tries to kill Rachel. Finding out he didn't succeed, he plans to try again. This final attempt leads the police to him.


Bruno and Luigi find themselves blocked in by a clutter of idling traffic; cop cars are lining the street all around them. Luigi sits rigidly in his seat watching the takedown unfold. I hope my plan works. Bruno nervously pulls a floral dress from his bag. "You need to change into this." He hands the silk print to his son.

"But, dad, I..."

"Just do as I say and make it quick. Here, put this on too." He tosses his son a long blond wig. Scooping up Luigi's clothes, Bruno shoves them in a bag and then stuffs them in a secret compartment. Grabbing the toupee beside him, he puts it on. Bruno sees the sky is lit up by red and blue lights as he fearfully glances around. Please help us get through this, he begs.

"We're next in line, sir," the driver announces from the front of the limo.

Bruno looks over at Luigi. "Hurry up, son."

"I'm trying, dad." He throws the wig on his head. "What do you think?"

Bruno reaches over and straightens Luigi's clothes and then scans the lad's appearance again. "That should do it." I hope. Bruno nervously adjusts his disguise. 

Hearing a light tap, the driver anxiously rolls down his window. "Can... Can I help you, officer?"

"We need to check your car." He shines the flashlight in the front of the vehicle and then towards the back. Luigi turns away. The officer starts to leave when something catches his eye. He shines his light directly on Luigi.

Bruno looks over to see the young lad shaking; He grabs his son's hand. "We're in this together no matter what, I promise." The cop turns the light towards Bruno.

"Mr. Greco, sir?"

"Yes, it's me, can we move this along." Stepping away from the car, the officer motions them on.

"What was that all about, dad?"

"It's always good to have a cop on your payroll." I just wish I had a few more, Bruno thinks, anxiously glancing around.

***

Bonnie walks down the darkened hall towards her daughter's room. Rachel hadn't eaten much of her breakfast so Bonnie figures she'd probably be starving by now. "Rachel honey, would you like some lunch?" Bonnie asks as she lightly taps on her door. She waits a few minutes but doesn't hear a sound. "Honey, I made you some lunch." Rachel still doesn't answer. Maybe she's still asleep. Bonnie starts to turn the handle when another thought comes to mind. I should probably let her rest, after all, she has been working hard these past few days. She starts to turn away but stops in mid-motion. She really needs to put something in her stomach. Bonnie glances at the food and then the door. It won't hurt to let her sleep a little bit longer. She quietly tiptoes down the hall.

"Wasn't she hungry?" Jeanie asks as she passes Bonnie on the steps.

"She didn't answer, so I'm guessing she's still sleeping."

"I imagine she is exhausted since she only slept a few hours last night and the night before."

"Yeah, you're probably right."

*****
After a long, heated discussion Luigi finally agrees to Bruno's plan. He didn't like the idea of being stranded, especially now that he's a wanted man, but he doesn't want to take a chance on their lives either.

"This will be fine," Bruno instructs pointing towards an older brick building. The repair shop is one of several businesses he owns. Although it doesn't do enough business to cover overhead, its books show that it's doing extremely well. "I'll be back as soon as I can, son," Bruno reassures as they pull alongside the structure. "Remember, stay out of sight, and phone the driver if you run into trouble."

Luigi rolls his eyes. "You've already told me, Dad."

"Love you, son."

"You too, Dad."

Father and son memories quickly come to mind as Luigi closes his door. Please keep him safe, please, I beg you, Bruno tearfully prays, watching Luigi walk away.

As soon as he's out of sight, Luigi pulls his cell from his pocket. "Remember what we talked about, Leo? Well, the plans have changed. We need to take care of the matter today. Yeah, yeah, I know. That's why I want to handle it now while I still have a chance. So, pick me up at dad's repair shop ASAP."

****

Rachel decided to take a walk down by the park. Its beautiful green lawns and a large assortment of flowers make it one of her favorite places to visit in the spring. Maybe I'll even see speedy while I'm here, she thinks, glancing towards the pond.

Rachel fed the ducks nearly every day last summer. That's when she met a duck she lovingly calls speedy. No matter where she threw the food, this one little duckling would snatch it up before the others had a chance to get near it. If another duck tried to take it, the little hellion would flog them, despite their size. Rachel became so attached that she decided to name her.

Rachel walks over to the duck feeder and deposits some change into the machine. Wanting to have plenty of food, she adds a few more coins. That should be enough. She starts to scoop the seeds into a container when a large hand covers her face. Rachel screams as loud as she can, but her voice is too muffled to hear. She tried to break loose, but her attacker's large arm holds her firmly in place. Rachel starts feeling dizzy, light-headed, as she continues to fight her assailant. She soon discovers that the more she struggles the dizzier she becomes. What's happening to me, she questions as the world spins all around her. She feels her eyes starting to close, Rachel forces them back open. I can't pass out now, I just can't. Rachel tries hard to stay awake, but despite her attempt, she falls into a deep peaceful sleep.

*****

"Captain, I wanted to let you know that Eureka Springs and the surrounding cities are aware of our situation; so is the Highway Patrol."

"He shouldn't be able to get too far then, now should he, Jerr?"

"I hope not, boss. Oh, and I've informed the police in Italy. They've graciously agreed to tap the relatives' home phone and they put a trace on Mrs. Greco and Tito's cell in case he tries to call."

"What about the trace on Bruno and Luigi's phone?"

"Neither has made or received any calls today and the bank accounts haven't shown any activity."

Joe glances at the clock. "Something has to give soon."

"I hope so, boss."

Nick walks over to them. "We have a situation, Captain. Patrol just spotted an older black van leaving the park. They believe it's the same one used during Emma's attempted kidnapping."

"They're following it, right?"

"Yes, sir."

"I want the dispatcher to tell everyone to be on high alert for the black van."

"I'm on it, sir." Nick dashes across the station.

"I just hope no one gets hurt, Captain."

"Me too, Jerr, me too."

*****
Seeing that it's starting to get late, Bonnie decides she better wake Rachel, otherwise, she'll have trouble sleeping tonight. Stepping into the bedroom, Bonnie flips on the light.
"Honey, it's almost... Oh, my God, she's gone, Rachel is gone," Bonnie screams.

Hearing her yell, Jeanie and Emma run up the stairs. "What's wrong, Bonnie?"

She shakingly points towards the bed. "Rachel is gone."

Emma walks over to the partially opened window. "It looks like she snuck out."

"It's too dangerous for her to be out there by herself," Bonnie exclaims, glancing into the eerie darkness.

"I'll find out where she is and pick her up." Emma pulls her cell from her pocket.

"It's not safe for you to be out there either, honey."

"We'll all go," Bonnie says, watching Emma finish her call.

Emma turns towards them a terrified look on her face. "We have another problem, guys."

"What is it, honey?"

 "Rachel isn't answering her phone."

"I better call Joe and tell him what's going on," Bonnie says running out of the room.

*****

Slowly opening her eyes, Rachel starts looking around. She sees the driver is wearing a striped jacket. She then notices his long dark hair. That's the guy I saw running to the woods; the same one that's killed all those people. I have to get out of here quick, but howI need to stay calm and figure a way out of this. She nervously scans her surroundings, hoping to come up with a plan. I know, I'll text Joe, have him trace my call. She slides her hand into her pocket, only to discover her cell isn't there. She frantically searches the others but finds them empty as well. What am I going to do now, she thinks, anxiously glancing around.
 

 

Characters
Jeanie, Rachel's mom
Emma, Rachel's cousin, but she seems 
like her sister.
Max, Bonnie Webb, Rachel's dad and step mom.
Bruno Greco, He's in the Import business. He also has numerous side companies to cover up illegal proceeds.
Luigi, Tito Greco 28-year-old twins. Live with and work for Bruno. They thought he was their dad until recently.
Charles Maroni, Luigi and Tito's biological father.

Leo, hired hitman.

Berryville PD
Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachel Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.
Nick Johnson, new Detective



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.