Commentary and Philosophy Poetry posted September 20, 2018


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Any neglected family member withers ...

Blue in Spite of Gold

by michaelcahill

Rhyming Poem Contest Winner 


 
They gazed upon me in some awe--
majestic, they saw, without a flaw.
Imaginations could not draw
this blue and gold macaw.
 

Well, I admit I'm quite the ham;
I ventured close, cooing, "Here I am."
I spread my wings and shouted, "Bam!"
... this blue and gold's cute scam
 

Somehow, I found myself at home
in their household inside their square dome;
without much space for me to roam,
a blue and gold's sad tome.
 

I have a window to the world;
outside there's freedom, far-flung, unfurled.
I've begged for notice, whirled and twirled--
blue and gold, my heart's curled




Ornate and glowing gilded gold,
this cruel cage my prison life foretold.
Freedom's something, I do not hold.
I'm just blue … getting old
 

 


Writing Prompt
Bird in a Gilded Cage... this will be narrated by the author... a study or observation of the bird; or a personification of the bird. Any style of rhyme... fun/serious. Have Fun!

Rhyming Poem
Contest Winner



Mixed meter. 8987, aaaa, bbbb, cccc, dddd, eeee.

The blue and gold macaw is an extremely long-lived species of parrot as are all macaws and indeed all parrots. They are of high intelligence exhibiting the intellect of a human five-year-old or higher in some cases. They possess the ability to imitate sounds including human speech and do have the ability to associate the speech they've learned with actions ie "hello" as a greeting, "goodbye" as a response to someone leaving, etc. Their social structure in the wild is similar to ours. The find a life partner, have children who leave "the nest" at maturity and find their own partners. The socialize extensively during they day enjoying meals together and good times. They make wonderful companions. However, due to their high intelligence, they command as much attention as a small child would. It's critical when committing to the care of one of these long-lived lifeforms that the commitment be serious and for life. There's nothing more cruel than one of these magnificent beings purchased for a novelty and then neglected after the novelty wears off. Imagine a five-year-old child never again knowing happiness and never growing up, decade after decade. Sorry to be so harsh, but be SURE before you decide to make a parrot your companion. On the other hand, there's no better human than a parrot.

I agree they should be in the wild. But many are captive bred to save endangered species. They do have or they can have beautiful lives in a domestic situation with the right family. I won't give a big argument against saving the rain forest and returning them all there though. :))


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. michaelcahill All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
michaelcahill has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.