Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 17, 2018 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Luigi and Bruno are running from the law

A chapter in the book Deadly Confession

Surrounded

by Mistydawn


Summary
An attempt was made on Rachel's life because she witnessed a murder. Meanwhile, Luigi kills 4 more and tries to kill Rachel. Finding out he didn't succeed he plans to try again. This final attempt leads the police to him.


While the captain reviews the police reports from their last crime scene, Jerry decides to do a little research on their perpetrator. He soon discovers Luigi requested a passport fifteen years ago and that he's been making frequent trips to Italy since. So, his birth certificate had to show he's alive at some point, otherwise, he wouldn't be able to get a driver's license or a passport. I'm going to call vital statistics, see if they can tell me anything.

After twenty minutes and several prerecorded messages later, the frustrated Sergeant finally reaches a human. "Yes, this is Sergeant Rudder, I'm from the Berryville Police Department. I need you to check on a birth certificate for me."

"I'll transfer you to vital statistics, just a moment please."

"Wait, don't put me on hold again."

"That's the only way I can transfer you, sir."

"The last time you guys put me on hold I was disconnected," he anxiously blurts into his phone.

"I'm sorry that you're having trouble with our phone system. I'll tell you what, leave your name and number so someone can return your call if you get disconnected."

"My name is Jerry Rudder and I work at the Berryville Police Department. The number is 501 423 2000."

"Thank you, sir, I'll connect you now." Another lady answers the phone a few minutes later. "Vital statistics, how may I help you?"

"My name is Jerry Rudder and I work for the Berryville Police Department."

"How may I help you, sir?"

"I need for you to check on a birth certificate for me."

"What's the name?"

"Luigi Greco."

"Just a moment, please. According to our records, he died at birth. Hmm, that's strange."

"What is it?" Jerry questions, pressing his phone to his ear.

"I'm not sure. Let me get my supervisor to take a look and then I'll call you back."

"Let me give you my number?"

"The operator already has."

"Call me when you find out what's going on." He sees Joe walking towards his desk when he hangs up the phone. "I wanted to let you know that everything is taken care of, boss. I have the local police departments and the sheriff's office searching for him, public transportation is aware and there are roadblocks at every major street that leads out of the city. I figure his father will probably help him escape, so I've got someone monitoring his bank account and I've also put a trace on their home phone and on both of their cells."

"Sounds like you have it covered, Jerr."

"We're not going to try their house again, sir?" Jeff questions.

"I doubt he'll be there after this morning's raid."

"True, but we might find something that'll lead us to him."

"It's worth a try I suppose, get everyone ready."

"Yes, Captain." Jeff pushes away from his desk.

"I may have to sit this one out if you don't mind, boss."

"Why, Jerr?"

"I'm waiting for a call from vital statistics. They found something suspicious when they looked up his birth certificate for me. They're supposed to call me back when they figure out what's going on."
Jerry glances at the ringing phone. "Maybe that's them now." He reaches across his cluttered desk. I really need to file some of this crap, he thinks, watching papers scatter across the floor. "Berryville Police Department, Jerry speaking. When did this happen? Thank you for checking into this for me. Yes, I understand, I think everyone has increased their security since the 9/11 attacks." Hanging up, he turns towards the captain. "It seems like someone tampered with his birth record about a month ago. The lady said their system caught the discrepancy and red-flagged it for further review. She  said that she had to make sure I am who I say I am before she could give out that information."

"How much do you want to bet he's the one who changed it? Let's head to the house, see what we can find."

*****

It's only been a few hours since she was ordered to bed, but Rachel is already tired of being cooped up in the house. Since Bonnie and Jeanie are guarding the downstairs, she figures the only way out is to sneak through her window. I don't know how many times I climbed in and out of this thing when I was younger. She laughs. Rachel realizes it's further down than she thought when she glances towards the ground. I hope I can still remember how I did this. She anxiously surveys the large tree branches in front of her. Rachel starts to push the window open when Bonnie walks into her room. "I've always loved this view," Rachel states, nervously walking to her bed.

"I wanted to check on you, make sure you're alright."

"I'm a little tired, but feel fine other than that." Rachel pretends to yawn. "I was thinking about taking a nap." Rachel yawns again as she stretches across her bed.

"That's a wonderful idea." Bonnie pulls the covers over her and quickly tucks them in. "Let me know if you need anything."

"I will, and Bonnie, thanks for staying with me."

"It's my pleasure, sweet dreams, honey." Bonnie walks out of the room closing the door behind her.

 Hearing her step-mother's footsteps fade down the hallway, Rachel throws the window open. Here goes nothing. She hoists her leg across the pane.

***

Once half the team is assembled around the home, Joe, Jerry and the remaining team head to the front door. "Remember to follow protocol," Joe says, as he bangs on the old wooden barrier. No one answers. He bangs again, harder this time, but there's still no response. "Guess we'll have to break it down."

"Why don't we just walk in, boss?" Jerry asks turning the handle.

"Smart ass," Joe mumbles as he steps through the door. Chuckling, Jerry walks in behind him. Once the team is inside, they cautiously spread out. Joe and Jerry take the long, narrow hallway in front of them. Reaching the first room they peak inside, but find it's completely empty. They do the same with the remaining rooms, only to find them unoccupied as well.

"The house is clear, sir, Jeff says as he approaches them.

"They must have left in a hurry, boss." Jerry points towards the belongings scattered across the hardwood floor.

"I figured as much."

"What do you want us to do now, sir?"

"Start looking for clues as to where he might go."

*****

Both father and son are sitting quietly in the back seat of their friend's limo. Bruno figures the police are watching every car the family owns. So he borrows his friend's vehicle to ensure they'll have an uneventful trip. We wouldn't have to do this if our escape tunnel didn't collapse from the heavy rain. He glances over at his son. I'm just glad he managed to get out of there before it came down. Removing a disposable phone from his shopping bag, Bruno makes a call.

He's been in the business long enough to know the police often uses cell phone signals to find a criminals location. So he purposely left his and Luigi's old cell underneath the cab seat this morning, he then purchased two untraceable disposable phones as their replacement. For extra insurance, he had a jammer installed; so if the police figures out their new numbers they still won't be able to track them. "Yes, you're right. Thank you for letting me know." Putting the cell in his pocket, he turns towards Luigi. "Well son, it doesn't look like we'll be going to Italy anytime soon."

"Why is that?"

"The police have warned all the airports that you may flee."

"Ah, Mr. Greco, sir, there are roadblocks a few miles ahead." their driver says.

"I should've figured as much. Take the first side road you see." He turns towards his son. "I need to talk to someone, see if he can either get us out of town or find us a place to lay low until this wretched manhunt is over. Since we don't know where the roadblocks are located, I think it's best if we drop you off somewhere safe."

"Sir, there are barricades on this road too, and all the ones surrounding it."

Luigi glances over at Bruno with fear in his eyes. "What are we going to do now, dad?" He frightfully looks around.
 

Characters
Jeanie, Rachel's mom
Emma, Rachel's cousin, but she seems
like her sister.
Max, Bonnie Webb, Rachel's dad and step mom.
Bruno Greco, He's in the Import business. He also has numerous side companies to cover up illegal proceeds.
Luigi, Tito Greco 28-year-old twins. Live with and work for Bruno. They thought he was their dad until recently.
Charles Maroni, Luigi and Tito's biological father.

Leo, hired hitman.

Berryville PD
Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachel Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.
Nick Johnoson, new Detective



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.