Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 9, 2018 Chapters:  ...10 11 -12- 13... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Joe cleans up the aftermath of the crime.

A chapter in the book Deadly Confession

Fallout

by Mistydawn


Summary

An attempt was made on Rachel's life because she witnessed a murder. All the evidence points to someone who couldn't have committed the crime, leaving the detectives baffled. Meanwhile, Luigi kills 4 more and tries to kill Rachel. Finding out he didn't succeed he plans to try again. 

Joe sees a crowd gathering around the scene when he pulls up to Rachel's building. He then notices the beat cops struggling to keep everyone behind the tape. I don't miss that at all, Joe thinks. He spots Rachel hovering over a body in the middle of the street when he glances around. Jumping out of the car, he races to her side.

"What can you tell me, Rachel?"

"We have one injury; he took a bullet to the shoulder," Rachel says, as she continues to apply pressure to his wound.

"What's your name, sir?" Joe asks.

"Randy Maccabee; I'm her neighbor." He glances up at Rachel, she smiles.

"Can you tell me what happened, sir?" Joe takes a notebook from his pocket.

"I heard a lady screaming for help when I was walking to my apartment. I ran over to see what was going on and that's when this tall, thin guy shot me." Gritting his teeth, he glances up at Rachel. "Stop Rachel, that hurts."

"Quit being such a baby."

Joe looks up from his paper shaking his head. "Can you describe the guy?"

"Yes, he's around six four. He has long, greasy hair that's tied in a ponytail. He's wearing a striped jacket and jeans."

"What type of vehicle was he driving?"

"It's an older black Ford Econoline; I'm not sure about the year of the van. Easy there, Rachel."

"I have to stop your bleeding."

"Did you get a license plate number?"

"I didn't think about it at the time."

"Can you remember anything else about the van? Were there any decals, designs? Maybe it has a luggage rack on top?"

"No, sorry. Damn it, Rachel," Randy hisses.

"You have two choices, bleed to death or deal with a little pain." Randy exhales loudly. "That's what I thought."

"Don't you just love her bedside manner?" Joe chuckles.

"Who wouldn't love all that compassion?" Rachel smacks Randy's good arm. "Big baby."

Joe chuckles again. "Thanks for your help." He starts to walk towards the apartment when he spots Kirk running towards him.

"I found this weapon a few feet from the curb; he must've lost it trying to escape."

"Send it to the lab, so we can see if it's the one used in the other crimes."

"Yes, sir."

Joe finds Emma crying on the steps when he walks into the building. "How are you holding up, Emma?" He sits beside her.

"Oh, Joe." She wraps her arms around his neck. "I was so scared. I thought I was going to die. I really thought I was going to die," she sobs.

Joe awkwardly wraps his arms around her. "You're safe now, and the guy who tried to save you will be alright too."

"I don't know what would've happened to me if it wasn't for him," she bawls.

"It's best not to think about that."

"I suppose you're right." Pulling away, she wipes tears from her face. "I'm sure you don't want snot all over you." She wipes her face again.

"I've had to deal with worse things than that, trust me." He winks. Emma giggles through her tears. "Can you tell me what happened?"

"I was headed to my car when a guy grabbed me from behind and started dragging me to his van. I punched him in the stomach, but that didn't faze him so I hit him in the nose."

"Is that where the blood on your knuckles came from?" He points to her hand.

She quickly inspects it. "I guess so."

"I'd like to take a sample for a DNA comparison."

"Alright."

"So what happened after you hit him?"

"Randy heard me screaming and tried to help. That's when the gunman shot him. I thought he was dead, I really thought he was dead," she sobs. "It was so scary watching him get shot and the way he fell. I kept thinking his life is over because of me."

"What happened after he shot Randy?"

Emma takes a deep breath before she continues. "He threw me in his van. I kicked him as hard as I could and ran."

"The screaming, fighting back is all smart thinking. It gave you the few seconds you needed to get away."

"Thanks, Joe," she sniffles.

"Can you describe your attacker?"

"Yes, he's around six five he had long black hair tied in a ponytail."

"Can you describe his clothes?"

"He has a striped denim jacket and faded jeans."

"Can you describe his vehicle?"

"It's an old black work van. The back seat is out and he has tools scattered all over the floor. I remember landing on a pile when he threw me inside."

"What kind of tools are they?"

"I'm not sure."

"Do you remember anything else about the van?"

"No... Wait, it smelled funny, like an old garage and it didn't have carpet in it either."

"Thanks, Emma, you've been very helpful. I'll send someone to get a sample, ok?" He points to her hand.

"Alright."

Joe sees Jerry pulling up to the crime scene when he steps into the bright morning sun. He walks over to him.

"I just heard, is Rachel alright?"

"Rachel didn't get attacked, Emma did."

"Is she ok?"

"She's pretty shaken up, but she'll be alright."

"Why did he go after Emma this time?"

"I think he confused Emma for Rachel because they look so much alike."

"That's possible I suppose."

Joe glances towards the parking lot. "I want to move Rachel somewhere safe now the killer knows where she lives."

"You know Rachel won't agree to that."

"She will if her daddy tells her too."

"That's an underhanded trick, boss." Jerry chuckles.

"Maybe so, but I'd rather be a little sneaky than have her killed by a psychopath."

"True, so what do you want me to do?"

"Find out who owns an older black van. I'll call Max."

Once Randy is in the ambulance, Rachel decides to check on Emma. She's halfway up the sidewalk when she sees her dad rushing towards her.

Here goes another lecture. She turns to face him. Jeanie and Bonnie were finishing up their sermon when the shooting occurred. The two strongly suggested that she go back into nursing, where she's safe. She tried to reason with them, but they wouldn't listen. She finally told them she'd consider it, just so they'd leave her alone.

"Bonny called and told me what happened, is everyone alright?" Max breathlessly asks.

"Everyone is fine, Dad. Randy was shot in the shoulder, but he'll be ok. Emma is really shaken up, but she'll be fine too."

"Is it the killer you've been chasing, the one that ran you off the road?"

"We believe so."

"You're not safe here, now that the killer knows where you live."

"Don't worry, Dad. I'll be alright."

"No, you won't. I want you to stay at my house until this monster is caught."

"I'll be OK, really." She turns away; Max grabs her arm to stop her.

"This isn't up for discussion, young lady, you're staying with me and that's final."

"What about Bonnie?"

"I've already talked to her and she believes you'll be safer in our house, too."

"I can't leave Emma and Jeanie behind."

"We have plenty of room for them."

"I'm not sure they'll agree to this."

"If they don't, I'll have Joe handcuff them and drag them to the house."

"That's called kidnapping, Dad and it's very illegal, even for the DA."

"I'd rather go to jail than have you guys hurt. So go upstairs and pack a few of your things. Tell Jeanie and Emma to do the same."

"I swear you're getting more stubborn as you age, Dad."

"That's because I have you for a daughter, now scoot." He points towards the building.

"Old fart," Rachel mumbles under her breath.

"I heard that, Rachel." Seeing her stomp towards the apartment, he walks over to the captain. "They're staying at my house."

"I knew you could talk her into it."

"I didn't talk her into anything; I had to threaten to kidnap the three of them if they didn't go willingly." He glances towards the apartment. "She says I'm the stubborn one." Joe laughs.

"With all due respect, sir, I think you're two peas in a pod." Max turns towards Jerry with a stern look on his face. I'm going to be written up now, the detective thinks, wanting to kick himself for spouting off to the DA.

Noticing the terror in Jerry's eyes, Max bursts out laughing. "I guess she did get some of her hardheadedness from me."
 

Characters
Jeanie, Rachel's mom
Emma, Rachel's cousin, but she seems
like her sister.
Max, Bonnie Webb, Rachel's dad and step mom.
Bruno Greco, He's in the Import business. He also has numerous side companies to cover up illegal proceeds.
Luigi, Tito Greco 28-year-old twins. Live with and work for Bruno. They thought he was their dad until recently.
Charles Maroni, Luigi and Tito's biological father.

Leo, hired hitman.

Berryville PD
Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachel Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.
Nick Johnson, new Detective.





 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.