Mystery and Crime Fiction posted September 5, 2018 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Emma faces Rachel's attacker.

A chapter in the book Deadly Confession

Wrong Target

by Mistydawn


Summary

An attempt was made on Rachel's life because she witnessed a murder. All the evidence points to someone who couldn't have committed the crime, leaving the detectives baffled. Meanwhile, Luigi kills 4 more and tries to kill Rachel. Finding out he didn't succeed he plans to try again. 

Joe walks into the interrogation room angrier than he's ever been in his life. No one kills in my city and gets away with it. Stomping towards the suspect, Joe glares into his eyes.

Alright, Greco, we know Tito is hiding somewhere, so you can either tell us where he is, or I'll arrest you for hindering prosecution and conspiracy."

"I already told you that he and his mother left for Italy last week."

"Bullshit." Joe slams his fist on the table hoping to rattle him; Greco gives him a snide smile instead. His cocky smirk pisses Joe off more. I should've let Jeff have at you. Joe feels his entire body tense up as anger coursed through his veins. Give me five minutes off camera with this dude, five minutes and I'll guarantee you he'll cough up a location. Joe clenches his jaw as he tightens and untightens his fist.

Jerry rushes over and places his hand on Joe's shoulder. "Boss."

"Not now, Jerry." Joe shrugs his hand away.

Jerry steps in front of him. "He's not worth losing everything you've worked so hard for."

Joe slams his hands on either side of Bruno's chair. Hovering over top of him, Joe leans in and whispers. "You're damn lucky these cameras are on."

"Don't do it, Boss."

Joe moves in closer and says, "You better pray like hell I never catch you alone." Pushing against the seat, Joe tears himself away. "Ã tempo DI fare le pulizie DI primavera."( It's time for spring cleaning.) Straightening up in his seat, Bruno nervously fidgets with his clothes. You better be scared, you and your son. "Why did we find Tito's DNA at three different murders if he's gone?"

"Murder, no you have it all wrong; Tito would never kill anyone." Seeing the look on Joe's face, he quickly recants his statement. "He'd never kill anyone If he was here."

"Well, he did. We have witness statements and DNA to prove it'."

"My son would never hurt anyone, ever," he screams.

Joe decides to add to his anger. "Here's another fact for you, Greco; Tito is not your biological son."

Shackles clank against the chair legs as Bruno springs up from his seat. "How dare you say such things to me."

"Our DNA test proves you're not his biological father." Joe throws a piece of paper on the table.

Remembering how the police work, Bruno shoves the document away. "Your bullshit won't work with me, Captain." Smiling, he sits back down. They hear a small tap, the door opens.

"His lawyer is here, Captain," Nick announces. A short, rounded man hurries past him.

"I'd like a few minutes with my client."

"You need to explain hindering prosecution to him because that's what I'm charging him with. Joe turns on his heels and walks into the hallway; Jerry follows behind him.

"He wasn't going to give him up anyhow, boss."

" I just hope Jeff is getting somewhere."

"He just called and said the staff claims Tito is in Italy," Nick says as he steps up beside them. Nick started with the force a few months ago. He's still a little green, but Joe sees a lot of potential in the young lad.

"I bet he paid them to say that, or he threatened to deport them if they didn't lie." The attorney opens the door.

"My client is ready to talk to you now."

Joe storms back into the room. "So you decided to tell us where Tito is?" Joe smugly strolls across the floor.

"My client has graciously agreed to give you the number of their relative's house where he's staying; so you can call and talk to him yourself."

"How will I know it's not someone posing to be him, or the number is in Italy for that matter?"

"Oh for God sakes, Captain; the least you can do is meet us halfway."

"Go ahead, and give me their number." Bruno scribbles it down on a piece of paper. Snatching the scrap from his hand, Joe runs out the door.

"What's your plan, Captain?"

He hands the paper to Jerry. "I want you to send Tito to the police station, so they can verify it's him.

***

"Would you like me to make you breakfast before I go?" Jeannie asks as she helps Rachel into her apartment.

"I already did." Emma grabs a hold of their patient's arm and leads her to the bedroom. Rachel sees a plate of food on her bedside table. Next to that is a TV tray with magazines, puzzle books, and a remote. She sees Emma's TV on top of her dresser when she glances across the room.

"You didn't need to go through all of this trouble for me, Emma."

"It's no trouble at all; besides, it's the least I can do after everything you've done for me. Now get to bed, like your doctor told you."

"Great, now I have two people bossing me around."

"Make that three." Her stepmother pops her head through the door."

"Bonnie?"

"Your dad asked me to babysit since we all know how well you listen."

"I'll be fine here by myself, really."

"You'll probably be running around this apartment the second everybody leaves."

"No, I won't, I promise." she tries not to smile.

"I might've believed that if you didn't smirk."

With a serious expression on her face, Rachel tries again. "Ok, I promise..." She snickers.

"I'm definitely staying, now. So get your butt to that bed, young lady, march." Bonnie smacks her behind."

"Ouch," Rachel says as she rubs her butt.

"That's a love tap compared to what you'll get if I find you out of this bed."

Jeanie looks over at Emma and smiles. "I'd say Sergeant Bonnie has her under control."

"I'd say so." Emma laughs. "Good luck, Rachel."

"Thanks, I'm going to need it." She glances back at Bonnie.

"Enough stalling already, get your butt to that bed."

"Yes, ma'am." Rachel trudges across her room.

*****

"Did you get everything situated, Jerry?" Joe asks.

"Yes, Sergeant Abele is supposed to call me when he arrives."

"Tito knows who to ask for?"

'Yep, I gave him specific instructions and I had him repeat it back to me just to make sure."

"Was it hard to get him to agree?"

Remembering what he did, he smiles. "Not really, boss. I told him the police will haul his ass to jail for hindering prosecution if he didn't show."

"He believed you?"

"Yeah, in the few minutes I talked to him I could tell he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, so I used it to my advantage."

"I've taught you well, Jerr." Joe laughs.

"Maybe that's the officer now." Jerry reaches for the phone.

"Jerry here... He did and you're sure it's him? Alright, thanks for your help." Hanging up, he turns towards Joe.

"He's right, boss, Tito is in Italy."

"They're sure it's him?" Nick scratches his head.

"Yes, he showed Sergeant Abele his passport and his driver's license. The Sergeant wasn't completely satisfied so they fingerprinted him just to be sure."

"How could his DNA be at our crime scenes if he's in Italy?" Nick questions.

"Maybe he flew back to Italy after his little shootout."

"That's impossible, Jerry because it takes nine hours to fly from Springdale to Italy."

"I think I'll go talk to the lab techs, maybe they can help me figure it out," Jerry says, pushing away from his desk.

*****

I'll be late for work if I don't hurry. Emma thinks as she rushes towards her car. She's halfway across the parking lot when she feels someone grab her from behind. She moves her arm up and forcefully swings it downwards. Her elbow slams into the perp's stomach.

"That's a sissy punch." He laughs as he continues to drag her to his van. She doubles up her fist and punches him in the nose.

"You'll pay for that one, bitch." He tightens his grip on her neck.

Emma gags from her rigid restraint. "Help me, please, somebody, help me," she gasps as she struggles to break free.

"What's going on over there?" A man asks, running towards them.

Using his free hand, Luigi pulls a weapon from his pocket and shoots.

Emma watches in horror as the man tumbles to the ground; blood spewing from his chest. "No," she cries.

The gunman throws his van door open and tosses her inside. She lifts up her feet and kicks him as hard as she can. The weapon flies from her attacker's hand as he stumbles across the pavement. Jumping out of his vehicle, Emma darts towards their apartment.

"Help me, please, someone help me," she screams, running for the door.
 

Characters
Jeanie, Rachel's mom
Emma, Rachel's cousin, but she seems 
like her sister.
Max, Bonnie Webb, Rachel's dad and step mom.
Bruno Greco, He's in the Import business. He also has numerous side companies to cover up illegal proceeds.
Luigi, Tito Greco 28-year-old twins. Live with and work for Bruno. They thought he was their dad until recently.
Charles Maroni, Luigi and Tito's biological father.

Leo, hired hitman.

Berryville PD
Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachel Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.
Nick Johnson, new Detective.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.