General Non-Fiction posted August 26, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A conversation with my Mother

Loves to Dance

by jusylee72


Loves to Dance

My mother was a chemist, in the 40's when, according to her professors, women weren't supposed to be chemists.

I remember a random conversation with her. I asked her about going to college. At first, she laughed and made fun of it, but then she spoke the truth.  She mentioned professors who didn't want her there, a remark by one of them that insisted she wears pants not dresses to the lab because he didn't want her to be a distraction to the male students. She accepted it all with no protest. complied, ignored the obvious prejudice as a way to receive a degree.

Her next remark floored me. 

"Can you believe what they wrote on my transcript in the 40's?"

"What Mom?"

"Well, it gave my grades which were good. Then at the end, it mentions my hobbies and they put it as a negative that I frequent dance halls and like to dance."

"What does that have to do with your education? "'

I don't remember the rest, but I do remember one night at Horseshoe Bay Country Club.  I spent my summers there waiting tables to help pay for my college.  Dad and Mom came on the night they had an old time dance band performing. 

I was shocked when Daddy took Mom's hand and led her to the dance floor.  I had never seen them dance together. 

This couple lit up the floor.  Dad's footwork amazed me.  He twirled Mom in a game of catch and release.   I pictured them in a black and white movie, transformed into a couple of youngsters who met at the end of World War Two.  Daddy, the young pilot, Mom, the chemist with dancing feet, both loving each other 3o years after they met. 

I just watched the movie, "Mona Lisa's Smile".   This memory came flooding back to me.  The movie theme explores the options of women becoming more than just housewives and exploring other ambitions. 

I wish I had questioned my Mom more.

I cherish the few conversations I had with my Dad. 

A bit of advice from me  - 

Learn your family's story.

You will cherish it.



Share Your Story contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by Raoul D'Harmental at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. jusylee72 All rights reserved.
jusylee72 has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.