Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 28, 2018 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Luigi tries to take care of Rachel once and for all.

A chapter in the book Deadly Confession

Final Attempt

by Mistydawn


Summary

An attempt was made on Rachel's life because she witnessed a murder. All the evidence points to someone who couldn't have committed the crime, leaving the detectives baffled. Meanwhile, Luigi kills 4 more and is trying to escape the law. 

~~~ indicates you're going back in time ~~~ again conveys the present day

Rachel notices the orange hazed moon and the blanket of stars that surrounds the glowing globe as she heads towards the house. We're going to wish for cooler evenings like this soon, she thinks, remembering how hot and humid their summers can be. She hears a strange noise from the corner of the lawn; Rachel turns towards the commotion. She sees the bushes move followed by a weak cry for help. She starts towards the clamor when she recalls what Joe had said. Rachel anxiously looks towards the mansion. Should I risk it and save her or get help? She hears a woman's weak plea again. I have to save her. Pulling her gun from her holster she runs towards the cries. A figure pops up from the bushes when she's halfway across the lawn. Rachel quickly realizes it's the same man she saw running towards the woods. Freezing in mid-step, she raises her gun in front of her. I'm going to end this once and for all. She points her weapon at his chest as she takes a stance. "Put your hands where I can see them," she yells, hoping someone would hear. "Do it now," she orders, cocking her gun. Spinning towards her, the killer pulls his trigger.

***

Jeff frantically paces in front of his desk trying to work off some pent-up rage. The more he thinks about being excluded from their raid, the madder he becomes.

"In all fairness, I should've been the first to be included in this bust; since I'm the only one that's worked on the Greco case for over three years. It was my hard work that got them enough evidence for a warrant," he says as he continues to stomp around the room. "Why couldn't Joe let me go, why? I know I made a stupid mistake, but that was years ago. Now, because of my poor judgment and Joe's lack of forgiveness, I may miss out on what could be the biggest bust in my career. Why did I let Greco get to me like that, why?" He continues to walk back and forth as that night replays in his mind.
~~~
With their adrenaline in overdrive, the team busts through the Greco's door. "Go, go," Joe orders. The team storms through the house. 

"You won't find anything in here." Bruno laughs as he smugly reclines on the couch.

"We'll just see about that."

Bruno turns to see who sassed him. "Well, well, if it isn't little Jeffy playing dress up again. Do you run home for titty milk, or bring it with you?" Jeff ignores the comment. "Saw your daddy sleeping on the street corner the other day. I think it was him; the way your mama is, it's hard to tell." 

"You're just mad because she refused to sleep with you," Jeff spouts.

"I wouldn't want that trash in my bed; God knows what diseases come from her twat." He points towards Jeff and laughs.

All the hurtful things Greco's said to him as a child replays in his mind. Jeff lunges for him. Joe pulls him away.

"You better drink more titty milk before you take me on, little man." Bruno laughs, arrogantly straightens his clothes. Jeff charges towards him again. Grabbing Jeff's vest, Joe drags him across the room.

"I'm going to make sure you get yours if it's the last thing I do," Jeff yells.
~~~
I can't watch them take down the smug bastard because of it. I wish they'd at least call and give me an update. He realizes they've only been gone a few minutes when he looks towards the clock. I need to keep busy. He picks up an old report off his desk. Jeff tries to concentrate on his project, but the harder he tries, the more frustrated he becomes. "It's no use." He throws his pen across his desk and then glances at the clock again. Maybe Sharon has some news for us. Happy he's found something to occupy his time; he pushes away from his desk.

***

Rachel should've been back by now, Joe thinks as he steps out on the porch. His nightmare starts replaying in his mind as he frantically searches the driveway. Not finding her in the near vicinity, he darts off the steps. I've got to find her. He quickly scans the area. Panic sets in the second he discovers a lifeless body lying in the yard. Oh please don't let it be her, please don't let it be her. He runs towards the body. Relieved it's not Rachel, Joe checks for a pulse. I'm too late, he sadly concludes as he continues to search the area. Hearing a weak voice calling for him; Joe anxiously looks around. He spots Rachel at the edge of the bushes; blood pooling around her head.

"Call an ambulance, and check on our prisoner," he orders, as he rushes towards her.

***

Jeff finds Sharon busy in the corner when he steps into the lab. I don't know how she manages to keep this place so clean, he thinks as he glances around the immaculate area.

Hearing footsteps, Sharon turns to see Jeff step through the door. "You just saved me a trip." Grabbing a report from her desk, she walks towards him.

"What do you have for us, Sharon?" He takes the report from her hands and quickly scans it.

"All three victims in the house, Carlos, and the homeless guy were shot in their chest with the same 38. For some reason, the perp used a silencer on everyone except for the transient."

Jeff glances up from his paper. "How can you tell?"

She grabs a spent bullet from the table. "See this line?"

Taking the object from her hand Jeff studies it. "Yeah."

"That's made from the silencer; I didn't find that extra mark on the homeless guy's bullet like I did the rest. The trace DNA on the trampoline is a perfect match to Tito's."

"All we need to do now is find..."

"Hold that thought," Sharon says as she heads for the phone.

"Yes, Captain." Taking the phone away from her ear, she turns towards Jeff. "The Captain wants to talk to you." Walking over, Jeff takes the receiver from her.

"Hello? How bad is she hurt, sir? Ok, I'm headed there now... I'll be sure to wear a vest. Yes, sir, I will." Hanging up, he turns towards his co-worker. "I've got to go."

"Who's hurt, Jeff?"

"Rachel, but it's just a bump on the head."

*****

Jeff arrives to find his partners in the ambulance. Rachel is arguing with him about going to the hospital and Joe is doing his best to reason with her.

"Here we go again." He laughs as he watches the two argue back and forth. "Hi, guys." Jeff pops his head in the ambulance.

"I'm glad you're here; Tito is out there and I don't want him to get away. Is the canine unit with you?"

"They're unloading the dogs now."

"Good."

"Come on, Joe; let me up so I can search too." Rachel rises up; Joe pushes her back down.

"You're going to the hospital and that's an order."

"But, Joe." Aggravated, she sits up.

"Do you want me to call your father?"

"No." She plops down on the gurney.

"Got this, guys?" Joe asks the paramedics.

"We can handle her." He smirks, glancing down at their patient. Rachel glares at him.

"Call her dad if she gives you any trouble. This is his number." Joe hands the EMT a piece of paper; Rachel smacks her feet against the stretcher. Smiling, the captain walks towards his men; Jeff sprints to keep up. 

"Where's Mr. Greco, sir?"

"He's at the station. You do realize he set you up, to get out of his arrest, right?" Jeff glances at him, a bewildered look on his face. Joe chuckles. "You're not the only rookie that he's done it too?"

"He played me, sir?"

"Like a fiddle." Joe laughs.

"Well, that little..."

The captain laughs again. He pulls a map from his pocket as they approach their team. "This is how I'd like it to go."

"Captain, I thought you'd like to know their housekeeper, Camilla was shot in the chest at close range with the same 38, as Detective Webb."

"You didn't tell me there's another victim, sir."

"It looks like Tito is tying up a few loose ends."

"Who found her?"

"Rachel, she said she was walking back to the home when she heard a cry for help. Rachel ran over to see what was going on and that's when Tito shot her. The vest saved her from the bullet, but not from being knocked unconscious by her fall."

"You realize this is the second time in a matter of days."

"Lucky for us she has a hard head." Joe chuckles.

*****

Darting to his hideout, Luigi pulls out his cell and quickly dials the hitman's number. He paces back and forth as he waits for his call to connect. "Remember the lady cop you're supposed to kill? Yeah, that's the one. You didn't finish the job so I took care of her for you... Save your apologies for later, because we have more work to do."
 

Characters
Jeanie, Rachel's mom
Emma, Rachel's cousin, but she seems 
like her sister.
Max, Bonnie Webb, Rachel's dad and step mom.
Bruno Greco, He's in the Import business. He also has numerous side companies to cover up illegal proceeds.
Luigi, Tito Greco 28-year-old twins. Live with and work for Bruno. They thought he was their dad until recently.
Charles Maroni, Luigi and Tito's biological father.

Leo, hired hitman.

Berryville PD
Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachel Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.