General Fiction posted August 23, 2018 Chapters:  ...28 29 -30- 31... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The rustlers were about to come to the end of their success.

A chapter in the book My Brothers' Keeper

The Catch

by aryr

My Brothers' Keeper

PREVIOUSLY: Rachel is a forensic medical examiner, who after receiving disturbing news, decides she needs some alone time to think. So, she goes to a B&B in a large park, but gets lost, Gray, the wolf, finds her incapacitated and goes home to Daniel to get him to help her. Daniel is a Native American and a successful lawyer. She decides to stay with him in his modern cave rather than the B&B. Her family is aware and that she is safe. She confesses her medical history, and of the discovery of a chimera-her twin brother that her body had absorbed. Gray gets hurt but survives. They visited with family and explained the chimera. The rustlers are caught, Rachel is hurt..........
NOW TO CONTINUE................................................


***PLEASE NOTE SLIGHT LANGUAGE CONCERN***

The elderly men talked about the use of cameras, expected to arrive the next day. They were all greenhorns, especially when it came to the high technology involved. Daniel had reassured them, that he would take care of everything. The camera installation was set up for remote recording. The main station would be placed in the ranch. The women could monitor it, but that unfortunately meant someone would also be required to be awake.

The other farmers or as they liked to be called- ranchers, called their families for female volunteers and within an hour had several lined up. It was decided that there would be two ladies or young ladies per four-hour shifts. Rachel and her mother would manage the bulk of the day shift and early evening.

It was extremely important that no one, but those involved knew anything about anything.
Tanya and Claire became responsible for the everyday running of the ranch. Tim and Phil helped both Daniel and their father, as needed.

The equipment arrived early in the morning. Bob was amazed at the setup, it was so simple it astonished him.

The men had gone out the day before, after the meeting, to check the other roads and for potential camera locations. Installation took about thirty minutes for each camera, and then back to the ranch to fine tune the master viewing screen. By noon it was done. Now it became a case of waiting and watching.

It had been decided that each of the three established teams had either a deputy or the local sheriff on board. Bob, Daniel, Tim and Phil would be available regardless of which camera created the first alert. The three ranchers had split their teams so that both ends of the roads would be covered and blocked any planned escape. All men were armed, and all were instructed to do air shots, unless they were threatened. Everyone was ready and on high alert. Antsy for action.

The first night was uneventful. Action from the cameras was being recorded on a chip. It was just before supper on the second day that camera three alarmed. Rachel called her dad as her mother continued to watch. There was definite action.

Her dad alerted the sheriff, who in turn alerted his deputies. Daniel and the boys were at the barn within minutes, the barn crew had the horses saddled, waiting for the riders. Going cross country on the horses would save valuable time.

Now, of course, Rachel never listened, so she was headed to the barn as well. She had her filly saddled in recorded time and was heading out the barn within minutes of the men.
The concept of using teams proved to be a fruitful one in the catch.

There were five men involved in the rustling. One stayed in the pickup truck while the other four herded and loaded the cattle into the trailer. Depending on the size of the beast, they were able to get anywhere from four to seven on board. Not a bad haul for the small operation.

By the time the ranchers and sheriff arrived they had just loaded cow number three, with two more lined up. The four rustlers scattered. It became a case of every man for himself. The poor pickup driver was left high and dry.

Two of the four who were running were lassoed or rather roped like a spring calf. The third just gave himself up after about half a mile. The fourth who was covering a fair piece of ground was brought down when Rachel showed up and performed a flying leap from her horse. The guy was winded and dirty, whereas she was just dirty. She straddled his chest to hold him down. She had seen her dad, Daniel, the sheriff and a couple of others in her peripheral vision just before she leaped.

Just before they arrived, the scoundrel shouted, "Bitch." Before slamming a rock into the side of her head. He didn't even have time to roll her off him before the men were there.

Daniel ran to her, pulling her slumped body off the man. Her father was three steps behind him. The sheriff was hauling the man away from her and cuffing him at the same time.

"Oh, Rachel, we would have gotten him, why did you have to do something stupid? Am I always going to be saving your ass?" Daniel lamented.

Bob had his phone out and was calling Sue. "Rachel has been hurt, call Doc Nelson, we'll meet him at the house."

Daniel stood up with her in his arms, she was unconscious. If they had not seen what had happened, he would not have willingly moved her. She was passed to Bob as Daniel mounted his horse, then he retrieved her from her father's arms and turned towards the ranch.

The trip seemed to take forever. By the time he got to the back door, the Doc was there. One of the workers held her as Daniel dismounted, to carry her inside. His shirt was covered with her blood. One of his thoughts were why head wounds had to bleed so much.

"I didn't even know she had left, until you called me to get the Doc. Damn foolish girl, she has always been a hellion, more problem than either of the boys. But damn I am proud of her. God, let her be okay." Sue cried.

Daniel placed her on the sunroom couch which had been covered with a blanket.

"That sonofabitch just slammed her head with the rock. We were just far enough away that we couldn't prevent it. I would love to go back and pummel him, but I need to be here with her. Doc can you fix her?"

"I'd like you all to leave, please, except for Sue. Head wounds always bleed a lot, so I need to clean her up and see what's going on. When I am done, I will let you all back in and tell you my findings. You too, Daniel. Bob, take him with you and both of you have a stiff drink, doctor's orders."

Bob, Daniel, Phil and Tim were soon joined by the other ranchers in the family room. Several of the workers hovered outside, waiting to hear the Doc's words. Time ticked by ever so slowly. Daniel and Bob had belted back two drinks each before the others showed up, now everyone was sipping whiskey, even old Pete who was a teetotaler. Bob had even treated those outside to a bottle.

At the hour point, Daniel was fit to be tied. He was ready to burst into the sun room, Bob rested his hand on his arm and shook his head 'no'.

"It's hard, just sitting here, Bob. I love that woman and I plan to marry her. Oh, is that okay with you. I am kinda doing things backwards here."

Bob nodded and with a huge smile said, "Welcome to the family, son."

Everyone whopped, glasses were raised.

"Shhhhhh, she doesn't really know yet and if she hasn't woken up by now, that noise will surely do it. Thanks guys." Daniel said with a smile.




Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. aryr All rights reserved.
aryr has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.