General Fiction posted August 22, 2018 Chapters: Prologue 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Ben Baker gets a little help from above.

A chapter in the book Baker's Dozen

Plop! What a Relief.

by Bill Schott


The author has placed a warning on this post for violence.


Background
Ben Baker, a low-level cabinet worker on the White House staff, has been sentenced to fight for his life in a northeastern forest. He must find and eliminate twelve others, before they kill him.
Ben Baker has been dropped into a wooded area in the northeast. He has a list of a dozen people on his arm he must find and kill. Two others have been dropped into the area now, one dead, and one already a killer.

The encampment lay at the clearing of the woods. The firebreak road, which bisected the three hundred acre section of forest, led right to it. Baker had been told by Rusty Pipes that he was to try and make it to this site as quickly as possible. There would be supplies and tools that would allow whoever arrived first a significant advantage over the others.

Ben had been walking quickly down the dirt road carrying his loaded, nine mil Smith and Wesson, carbon bladed fighting knife, and, under his armpit, a half-empty plastic water bottle. He had drunk some of the water earlier in the morning and pulled the trigger key out to free his pistol for use.

Suddenly, sounding like a dud artillery round pounding into the ground in front of him, a body slammed onto the road. Blood shot out and up from the man, who had either exploded on contact with the ground, or had been perforated before taking a big step out of a plane.

Ben ran for cover off the road and looked at the pile of flesh with disbelief. Looking up, as if to see where the got-to-be-dead man came from, he saw a parachute with what would have to be another participant attached.

Seeing that the skydiver was going to land far into the wooded area, Ben ran up to see what was what with the sack of humanity on the ground. He saw right away that it was Tyler Angles, assistant to the Chief Justice of the United States. He'd apparently been pre-killed and thrown from a helicopter like HE had jumped from. The body had no accessorizing pieces like gun, knife, or water. He may never have had these items, or they may have landed separately.

Leaving Angles’ body where it landed, Baker searched the woods within a hundred feet of the corpse. After completing a circumference of the drop spot he did find a bottle of water with a key inside. Nearby, stuck in a stump like Excalibur , was a K-bar. He continued reaching into the tall grass and under logs until a notion occurred. Following his hunch, Ben hurried to Angles' body and rolled it over. There, like finding a black pearl of great price, he saw the pistol.

Not knowing who might be dropping in next, Baker ran into the woods and found cover. Immediately he opened the new bottle of water, turned it up to drink, and allowed the key to slip out into his teeth. After removing the trigger block from the second weapon, he inspected the magazine.

In a stroke of field expedient ingenuity, he drank the water from both bottles and began fashioning holsters out of them with his knife. Once completed, he strung the boot lace through both bottles and wore his pair of pistols on his hips like Wyatt Earp.

He figured that whoever was parachuting in would end up a mile from where he was now, so he got back on the road with his two pistols and knives and began trotting in the direction of the encampment. It was then that he heard the growling. Looking back he saw the wolves.


 



Recognized


Thanks to cs144 for use of the photo art.

Nine mil (9 millimeter automatic pistol, similar to a .45 caliber)
K-bar (fighting knife)
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Bill Schott All rights reserved.
Bill Schott has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.