Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 24, 2018 Chapters:  ...6 7 -8- 9... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The Berryville PD have enough for an arrest.

A chapter in the book Deadly Confession

The Take down

by Mistydawn


Summary

An attempt was made on Rachel's life because she witnessed a murder. All the evidence points to someone who couldn't have committed the crime, leaving the detectives baffled. Meanwhile, Luigi kills 4 more and is trying to escape the law. 

With a warrant in hand, Joe quickly assembles a team. I hope this goes smoothly. He anxiously glances around at all the faces waiting for his command. I don't have anything to worry about with this group. He smiles proudly as he continues to scan the crowd. "Ok gang, we have a warrant, so let's suit up." Joe sees Jeff grab a vest. He starts to say something but stops. I'm sure he's learned his lesson by now, besides, he has every right to be there. After all, it's his hard work that's got us this far. What if Mr. Greco tries to rehash old business, or his attorneys claim he planted evidence for revenge. That could put everything we find into question and without solid evidence, he'll walk again. Joe has tried to take the Greco's down several times now, but no matter what he does, the charges never seem to stick. This could be our final shot and I don't want to take any chances. Joe tries to figure out a way to break the news as he walks towards the detective.

Jeff is securing his vest in place when Joe approaches him. "Hi, Captain."

"Jeff." Joe anxiously runs his fingers through his hair.

Jeff notices the perplexed look on his boss's face when he glances up. "What's wrong, sir?"

"I know you've been looking forward to this bust..."

"Ever since our last skirmish, sir; that's why I worked so hard to make it happen."

"You've put a lot of time and effort into this case that's for sure." That's what makes this so hard. Joe recalls how he felt when the same thing happened to him. I have to do this for the sake of our case.

"Is something wrong, sir?" Jeff nervously shifts from side to side.

"I have a bit of a dilemma."

The detective's face grows solemn. "What's the problem, sir?"

Joe reviews his decision one last time. You have to do this, Joe. So put your big boy pants on and just say it already. "I know you've earned your right to see this thing through." He takes a deep breath and then quickly finishes. "I'm afraid your history could hinder his prosecution. So I don't think it'd be a good idea for you to join us tonight."

"I'm sure Mr. Greco has forgotten our little incident by now." He recalls how he stormed in the Greco house with a chip on his shoulder and lots to prove; his and Greco's pissing contest that took place shortly after.

"Maybe so, but I still think it's best if you stay here."

"But Captain." the detective hits the top of his desk.

"You don't want his attorneys to get him off on a technicality, do you?"

"Of course not, but..."

"Ok then, it's settled, you're staying here."

"But I've worked so hard on this case, sir, you said so yourself."

"You're still on the case, just not part of our raid."

"So I'm stuck with the grunt work while everyone else does the bust?"

"You can handle that side of the investigation where these guys can't." Joe waves his hand across the room. Stomping around his desk, Jeff plops down in the chair.

Joe notices Jeff's mean mug when he steps to the center of the room. "Sorry son, but I don't have a choice." Jeff crosses his arms in front of him. Joe turns towards the crowd. "I want everyone to follow protocol down to the letter. Make sure your partner is at your side and your body cams are in place." He won't be able to make any false claims with the video running. Joe chuckles. Remembering his nightmare, Joe searches for his other detective. He sees she's by Jeff when he looks around. Here we go again, he thinks, as he walks towards her. "Rachel..."

"Come on, Joe, don't bench me too. After all, I worked just as hard as Jeff on this case," she says.

"I'm not, I'm not, but I want you to be real careful when you're out there and I don't want you wandering off by yourself."

"But..."

"Either agree to my rules or keep Jeff company, your choice." She glances towards her disgruntled partner.

"One of us should see this through," Jeff says.

"Alright."

"Alright, what, Rachel?"

"I agree." She flops down beside Jeff.

I bet that put a dent in her obstinacy. Joe chuckles. He turns towards his men. "Let's get this show on the road." There is a loud scuffle as the officers scrambled to the door.

*****

The group assembles outside the home a few minutes later. When his team settles around him, Joe starts barking out orders. "I want you two to go around back. You two take the right side of the house and you two cover the left." He points to his rookies. "Remember, Tito is armed and dangerous, so use extreme caution when you approach him." The group nods in unison. "Go, go." They hustle across the yard; Joe turns toward his remaining men. "The rest of you will follow me. I want you to start your search as soon as I give him the warrant and be sure to follow your training to a T." They nod again. "Ok then let's do this." The crew hustles across the yard. Joe bangs on the door. He waits a few minutes and pounds again, harder than the last. He starts to knock a third time when a petite Latino lady cautiously opens the door.

"We need to see Mr. Greco on an urgent police matter." Joe glances around the house.

"Mr. Greco is asleep, but I'll be sure to tell him you dropped by in the morning." She starts to close the door, Joe shoves it back open.

"This matter can't wait. So, I suggest you wake him or I'll arrest you for obstruction of justice and then wake him myself, your choice."

"But I..."

"That's it, Rachel, arrest her for obstruction."

"Turn around, hands behind your back." Rachel pulls out her cuffs. Realizing the maid isn't budging, Rachel grabs her arm and spins her around. Her small frame plops against the door.

"Do you have to be so ruff?" she asks, pushing away from the barrier.

 Rachel shoves her against it and then secures the handcuffs in place. "Maybe next time you'll do what you're told." 

"No, please don't do this," the lady begs.

"Jerry, take her out to the car and be sure to check her immigration status."

"Yes, boss."

"No, please, don't send me back, please don't. I'll tell you everything you want to know, just don't send me back there," she protests. Jerry escorts her out the door.

"What's all this commotion about?" an older gentleman grumbles as he sleepily stumbles down the hall.

"We have a warrant for your son Tito's arrest and a warrant to search the premises." Joe hands him a piece of paper and then motions to his team. The officers storm into the house.

"I've already told you, Tito isn't here; he left for Italy last week."

"We know he's here because we found his DNA at three crime scenes, and a witness saw him flee from one of those sites early this morning."

"I swear Tito isn't here."

"Arrest him for obstruction of justice and any other charge you find fit," Joe comands.

"The house is clear, sir."

Joe turns towards his men. "Get our forensic team in here to start looking for evidence."

"Let's go." Rachel drags the man to the door.

"Rachel, wait." She turns around. "I don't want you to go out there by yourself."

"The killer wouldn't be dumb enough to try something here." She points towards all the officers on the lawn.

"Yeah, he probably wouldn't, but I still want you to come right back just in case."

"Yes, sir."

"I have rights you know," Bruno protests.

"Why don't you use your right to remain silent?" Rachel says, shoving him down the walkway.

*****

Hearing the commotion above him, Luigi runs across the room. He sees the cops have the main house surrounded when he watches his video feed. I knew it'd only be a matter of time. Luckily, they won't find me down here. He glances around the room. His dad had the chamber built in case of a situation like this. He even included an underground tunnel that leads from the main room to the state line. A plethora of money and a few basic essentials are waiting for him by the door. Luigi notices the lady cop dragging Bruno towards her car when he looks closer. "He's not going to prison for my crime, not if I can help it." Grabbing his weapon off the table, Luigi snaps the silencer in place.
 

Characters
Jeanie, Rachel's mom
Emma, Rachel's cousin, but she seems 
like her sister.
Max, Bonnie Webb, Rachel's dad and step mom.
Bruno Greco, He's in the Import business. He also has numerous side companies to cover up illegal proceeds.
Luigi, Tito Greco 28-year-old twins. Live with and work for Bruno. They thought he was their dad until recently.
Charles Maroni, Luigi and Tito's biological father.

Leo, hired hitman.

Berryville PD
Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachel Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.