Supernatural Fiction posted August 20, 2018 Chapters:  ...15 16 -17- 18... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sins of Chaos/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book Sins of Chaos

The Hostage

by scongrove


Previously ...

Now that Abbey finally put an end to the ruthless scientist who killed her father, and kept her prisoner for years, torturing her with endless lab experiments, she had to warn her beloved Steven that he was in danger.

Before Dr. Autenburg had met his end, he was hired by Valkin Steele—a billionaire client that funded his research—to locate an Adalwolf with the power to heal his dying mistress. And Steven was the target.

During her escape, Abbey was caught off guard and tranquilized by Valkin Steele’s body guard, Roman Kincaid. Just as she thought all hope was lost, her luck finally turned around. Roman, who was also an Adalwolf, promised Abbey he would keep her safe, and help her reunite with Steven. Left with no other choice, Abbey could only pray Roman was a man of his word. 

Now that Abbey is in good hands—protected by Roman and a team of Special Ops—the next step is reuniting her with her beloved, Steven.
As Steven and Abbey finally reunite, she is introduced to the others in the Covenant as they meet Roman and his team of Special Ops—Lena, Justice, and Bull—to prepare for more allies to show. 

Later the night, Roman and his team member, Lawrence Colbert, were ambushed by Gordan Bates and his brother Joey—trackers hired by Valkin Steele—to gain information to the whereabouts of the Breedline Covenant in order to capture Steven for his abilities to heal a fatal wound. During their altercation, Roman and Lawrence were left with no other choice but to shift into their supernatural state and take them out. But before they shifted, Gordan Bates spilled the news about Valkin hiring Cole Decker—a hired tracker that dealt in under-aged sex trafficking in Europe—to help locate Steven. 
       

After they contacted the Breedline Covenant, Tim Ross—the Covenant’s head council—prepared for Roman and Lawrence to arrive so they could gather everyone for a meeting and plan their next move. Just as they arrived, Tessa—the Breedline queen—had asked her husband Jace to take their twin boys upstairs to bed. Unbeknown to what was transpiring in the room down the hall, Jace had no idea what was about to happen. Abbey had just awoke from a horrific nightmare from her past, triggering the she-wolf within her. When the battle between Jace’s Beast and Abbey’s she-wolf almost led to her death, she decided to secretly sneak out of the Covenant in fear of shifting again and harming Steven, or an innocent bystander. Before Abbey left, she wrote a good-bye letter to Steven. 
      
  

Continued ...

Cole Decker watched with smug satisfaction as Abbey climbed over the Covenant’s gate and disappeared through the thick timber outside the estate. Behind dark tinted windows of a black van, he’d been waiting for the perfect opportunity. But this was like taking candy from a baby.

He’d researched the Breedline council and located two of their traitors, Corbin Azzo and Fredrick Mercier, who barely managed to escape after the Breedline discovered they were working with Sebastian Crow and his twin brother, Thomas Carlyle. After the Breedline killed off Damien Spence and apprehended Samuel Mercier and Harold Crampton, they were more than willing to seek revenge against the Breedline.

Now that Cole uncovered their secret location, he planned to sit back and wait for Steven Craven—the Adalwolf Valkin Steele was after—to show his face. Instead, he’d found the next best thing. He’d use the she-wolf as a trade for Steven.

Without being noticed, he pulled out of the area that had provided cover for his vehicle and headed in the direction of the female on foot.

“Make sure you get close enough for me to get a good shot,” Corbin bit out, positioned in the back of the van with Fredrick. “We’re screwed if she turns.”

“Don’t worry,” Cole smirked, an evident grin in his voice. “I’ll make sure you have a clean shot.”

“Are you sure the tranquilizer will be enough?” Fredrick asked with a tone seemingly edged with fear.

Corbin rolled his eyes at the cowardly note in Fredrick’s voice. “I’ve got enough in this rifle to take down two elephants,” he said to Fredrick. “You just keep your eyes peeled. All you have to do is open the sliding door when Cole gives you the word. Kapeesh?”

Fredrick nodded in silence, his eyes wide with fear.

“Three o’clock,” Cole said sharply. “Get ready. Brace yourself.”

When Cole hit the brakes, Corbin gestured for Fredrick to open the door. “Let’s do this!”

Fredrick scrambled over to the sliding door and swung it wide, the grinding sound alerting Abbey.

As Abbey whirled around, she saw Corbin raise his gun, aiming in her direction. When a loud pop sounded, she instantly grabbed her arm and screamed in pain. Fear and panic exploded through her veins as she desperately looked for an escape. But realization settled over her like a fog. Once drugged, she had no power. Without the ability to shift into her Lupa, Abbey was helpless. The image of Steven instantly came to her. Her last coherent thought was of him. And then she went utterly white and teetered unsteadily before falling unconscious.

Corbin and Fredrick quickly got out of the van and hurried over to Abbey. “Get the girl and get her inside,” Corbin ordered Fredrick. “I’ll cover you.”

“Come on, guys,” Cole barked from inside the van. “Get your asses in gear!” 
     
Fredrick reached down and carefully picked up Abbey. As he lifted her up, she was limp in his arms.

“Let’s load and go,” Corbin said as Fredrick went ahead carrying Abbey. The cap she was wearing fell from her head, hitting the ground, but Fredrick never paused. When he got her into the van, he put her down. Corbin slid the door shut and alerted Cole, “Get us the hell out of here.”

A half hour later, they arrived at a small airstrip, where Steele’s private jet was already fueled and ready for takeoff. After the three-hour flight from Berkeley to Los Angeles, a car was waiting for them when they stepped off the plane. Fredrick carried Abbey’s limp body to the car and carefully handed her to Cole after he got inside. Cradling Abbey in his arms like a small child, Cole relished every moment of her helplessness, his eyes glittering with sick arousal.

“You will belong to me,” he whispered close to her ear, his lips forming a lazy grin.

Cole’s behavior toward Abbey chilled Corbin’s blood. And then a spark of unease flashed in his eyes, the first emotion other than revenge as he watched Cole stroke his hand over Abbey’s long hair. Sick bastard, Corbin thought. “What’s Steele planning to do with the girl once he has the Adalwolf?” he asked. 

“Abbey will be traveling to Europe ... with me.” 

Corbin’s brows went up, but he kept quiet. 
 
As they finally got to their destination—one of Steele’s hide-away locations—they pulled through a massive gateway to a sprawling house after three armed guards searched their vehicle and checked their IDs. The driver stopped the car in the circle driveway that had fountains lining the pavement, and he looked over his shoulder at Cole, Corbin, and Fredrick. “I’ll escort you inside. Mr. Steele is expecting you. He has accommodations for you and the girl.”

****

The mood was grim and strained inside the Breedline Covenant. The moment Lieutenant Colonel Deshazo and his men arrived, the children were taken upstairs by Angel, Cassie, Mia, and Anna.

When Lena, Justice, and Bull strode in, the last to get there, they knew when they saw Roman’s face, it wasn’t good.

“Abbey took off,” Roman said grimly.

“What the hell happened?” Lena all but shouted. “How did she get past the guards?”

Roman stared at her in surprise. At first, he was taken aback by the anger and frustration in her voice. But then he understood why she was upset. He was momentarily baffled on how Abbey managed to get past the Covenant’s security. Then again, Abbey had spent years on the run; hiding from all the bastards that wanted nothing but to turn her into some kind of lab experiment. Damn it. He should have done a better job keeping an eye on her, especially after everything that had gone down earlier. Abbey was his responsibility. And now he’d failed. It was a matter of time before Decker got his hands on her.

Steven sat down in a chair, burying his face in his palms. And then he let out a deep breath and looked up from his trembling hands. “Early this morning,” he began to explain as grief knotted his throat, “Abbey shifted into her Lupa and attacked Jace.”

“I don’t understand. Why would Abbey do that?” Justice queried, impatient for Steven to explain further.

“You have to understand her situation,” Steven replied. “Put yourself in her shoes. You don’t know the hell she’s been through.”

“Abbey is not to blame for what happened,” Tessa interjected. “She was just trying to protect herself. She had a nightmare and woke up panicked. I can only imagine the torture she put herself through wondering if she was making the right decision to leave. She loves you, Steven. I know it. One only has to look at her to know how deep her love is for you. Abbey is just trying to protect you and everyone in this Covenant.”
  
The idea that Abbey would risk herself to protect them gutted Steven to his soul. He would never have dreamed she would have gone off like she did, but it all suddenly made sense. Why she’d left. It wasn’t that she wanted to. She’d done it because she was trying to protect everyone.

He closed his eyes briefly, the nightmare only growing more horrific with every passing minute. Steven wanted to strangle her. Anything that happened to her involved this Covenant whether she liked it or not. His gut was screaming that they needed to move now. “We’ve got to find her before Steele gets his hands on her,” he said, pain gripping his insides and twisting viciously.

A course of agreements circled the room.

Years ago, Abbey had managed to escape Dr. Hans Autenburg by sheer grit and determination, Steven thought. If she could do that, then surely she could handle what was ahead.

“I got Abbey on the surveillance footage climbing over the west end of the gate,” Drakon said as he strode into the room. “She couldn’t have gotten far on foot, and she’s wearing a dark T-shirt, jeans, and a black ball cap.”  
   
“Here’s the plan,” Lieutenant Colonel Deshazo spoke out as he turned toward his men. “Kid, Gunny ... I want you two to team up with Justice and Bull. We need two choppers ASAP. As soon as you’re in the air, survey everything within a hundred-mile radius. We’ll stay in contact while the rest of us cover some ground.”

“Yes, sir,” all four said in unison.

“And how do you plan to find her if Valkin Steele’s men already managed to capture Abbey?” Steven asked gruffly. “Shouldn’t we have a search team out there on the road?”

“I’m sending Major Wyckoff, Roman and Lena on the road,” Colonel D stated. “Lawrence, Drakon, and I will team up and search through the wooded area.”

“I’m not staying behind,” Steven demanded. “And that’s final.”

Colonel D paused for a moment. “What do you want then?”

“I’m going with you.”

“All right,” Colonel D said. “I want everyone else to stay locked down in the Covenant.”

Tim extended his hand. “Good luck. Keep us informed. You’ve got my number. If there’s anything we can do, don’t hesitate to contact us.”

“Thanks,” Colonel D accepted his hand. When he pulled away, he looked at his team and said, “Time is ticking. Let’s get moving.”   
  
****

Abbey opened her eyes and blinked, trying to bring her surroundings into focus. The last thing she remembered was a man aiming a rifle at her from inside a van. And then the burning pain in her arm as darkness overtook her vision. She’s been sedated and kidnapped. Where was she now?

She lifted her head, feeling like it weighed a ton, and struggled to sit up. She froze when she heard voices coming from a short distance away. Abbey turned in the direction it came from and strained to hear what was being said. From the little she’d heard, it was clear two men were talking right outside the door.

“I want her,” Cole said, a thread of desire in his voice.

“You’re getting thirty girls as soon as I get my Adalwolf,” Valkin bit back. “They’re a mixture of nationalities and all under the age of sixteen. She’s not part of the deal.”

Cole pinned him with a forceful glare. “After I get you the Adalwolf, the girl leaves with me. And that’s final.”

“Make it twenty girls then,” Valkin snapped. “Take it or leave it. I’m in no mood for further negotiation.”

“Fine,” Cole said, a clear smirk in his voice.

Abbey sucked in her breath, her eyes widening in fear. Recognizing the voice, she knew it had to be Valkin Steele. His men had been the ones that had kidnapped her. But how in the hell did they know the location of the Breedline Covenant? Panic surged in her chest, tightening until she found it difficult to breathe. Steele was going to use her as a pawn to get to Steven. But in the end, there would be no trade. According to the man Steele was talking to, he had other alternatives.

She flinched at the sound of a door opening and couldn’t control her reaction. Abbey pushed back against the headboard of the bed and tucked her knees into her chest. Fear trickled up her spine as she stared at Valkin Steele’s determined expression. As he moved into the room alone, Abbey wondered where the other man was. Valkin stared a long moment before he spoke.

“Hello, Ms. Winthrop,” he said smoothly, moving toward a chair next to the bed. “You’ve been a hard person to track down.”

She gritted her teeth and forced back the obnoxious reply that hovered on her lips.

Valkin sat down and slightly leaned forward. “Of course I’ve been prepared for your arrival for years,” he said, smiling in amusement.
“You’ve been given a particular drug that alters the she-wolf within you that lasts twenty-four hours. It won’t harm you, but it will keep you from shifting for reasons I’m sure you get.” 

Her chin came up, and she shook some of the paralyzing fear away. “B-but ... how?”

“It was a parting gift from Dr. Hans Autenburg,” he replied. “Right before you killed him.”

Abbey couldn’t believe this. It was absolutely surreal. All this time ... there had been a drug to keep her from turning. If only she’d known.

“What do you want from me?”

“I’m proposing a bargain of sorts. You do as I want and no harm will come to your beloved Adalwolf. Give me any reason to doubt you, and he’ll be the one to suffer,” he threatened.

She pursed her lips and stared at him unflinchingly. “You’re going to use me as a threat so Steven will heal Natasha, aren’t you?”

The corner of his mouth quirked up into a half smile. “Clever girl. Now that we’ve gotten business matters out of the way, do we have an agreement?”

Abbey’s eyes narrowed. “I’ll make you a deal, Valkin. If I agree to this, Steven is not to be harmed in any way. But if you double-cross me, I swear I’ll hunt you down and kill you.”

Valkin’s smile faded. He went still, staring at her a long moment before he finally nodded. “You have my word no harm will come to the Adalwolf. But know this, Ms. Winthrop.” He held up a finger. “In the meantime, if you try anything stupid, you’ll give me a reason to go back on my word. Keep that in mind.”

She stared hard, her mind grappling to take it all in. He told her no harm would come to Steven provided she cooperated. But what did Valkin consider harm? Somehow she had to find a way out of here and warn Steven before it was too late. Damn it. Leaving the Covenant had put Steven in more danger. She’d been foolish to think he’d be safer without her. And then she nodded numbly without saying another word.

When Valkin rose from the chair, he then held up his hand and snapped his fingers. In an instant, a tall, older gentlemen wearing a butler’s attire appeared in the doorway.

“Yes, Mr. Steele. How may I assist you?”

“Richard, prepare Ms. Winthrop something to eat,” Valkin ordered.

“Of course, sir,” Richard replied with hastiness. “Will Ms. Winthrop be dining in tonight, or with you, Mr. Steele?”

Abbey glanced up to see Valkin watching her with a cold-calculating stare. “Ms. Winthrop will be dining alone in her room tonight.”  
  
To be continued ...
 
 

 




NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into a wolf. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans with a bite or scratch like the Lycanthropy myth.
The Breedline gene is passed down to offspring that are born identical twins. Although they live among humans, their species must be kept secret.
In wolf form, they have super strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illnesses or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only thing deadly to the species.
All males change into their wolf at the age of eighteen. Females do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - Identical twins that are born from either one or both parents of the Breedline species. They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth, are born with telepathic abilities, and have the power to sense the other's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins is so strong, that if one dies, the other twin may pass on, especially if they don't have a mate.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life in search of their bonded mate. When the male comes in contact with her, he instantly feels a simultaneous, desirable attraction and she becomes the most important thing in his life. He is there to love, protect, and cherish her until death. Once they are mated, they bond for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female but one will carry a stronger bond. Usually one of them must sacrifice for the other twin.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of a Covenant, which is only formed with their species. The Covenant is governed and ruled by a head council. The council keeps their laws in order and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - Over centuries the Breedline Covenant is ruled by a true queen. If there is no queen living, the Covenants are governed by an appointed head council until another one is born. A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. The queen is expected to rule over all the Breedline Covenants where she will be respected and obeyed by all Breedline. This is their absolute True Law.

THE QUEENS RING - This ring has been passed down to all Breedline queens for generations. When the new queen places the ring on, it instantly shifts in size to fit her finger.

TRUE LAW - All Breedline Covenants have an ancient book of laws. If either sex disobeys the Breedline laws, they can be shunned, or no longer protected by their Covenant. If a Breedline takes another life out of revenge, or evil - other than protecting their life, and the life of another - they will never have the ability to shift back human and cast out as a rogue wolf.

ROGUE WOLF - A Breedline shunned by their Covenant for taking another life out of revenge or evil and forced to live as a wolf until death without the ability to change human again. Some rogue wolves form into packs, which can be dangerous for other Breedline species.

RED (BLOOD) MOON - When the full moon passes through the amber shadow of the earth, producing a midnight eclipse visible across North America. So begins a lunar eclipse tetrad, a series of four consecutive total eclipses occurring at approximately six-month intervals. This incredible light beams into the heart of earth's shadow, filling it with a coppery glow and transforming the moon into a great red orb. During this time, all Breedline species that are mated have a strong desire to create an offspring. This is also a time when Breedline females are more fertile for the conception of twins.

SUCCUBUS (a.k.a. CREEPERS) - Creatures that search for, and feeds off the blood of the Breedline species. Creepers are skilled at extreme sexual pleasure, and the ecstasy they create is exceedingly intense and highly addictive. They cast off a scent that hypnotizes Breedlines into overwhelming sexual urges. They use their human-like bodies and beautiful features to control and influence their thoughts.
They have the ability to reach into the Breedline's mind during sleep, casting a spell of dreams about sexual contact, or intercourse. And one much less obvious manifestation of Creepers is nightmares - realistic, graphic, terrifying nightmares that rob the Breedline of sleep. Over a period, it can lead to severe fatigue and depression, leaving them emotionally and spiritually drained. Death can occur if they ultimately take over the Breedline's body.

HALF-BREED - This species is born with the genes from both Breedline and succubus. They can bond with either a full-blood Breedline or another half-breed. They cannot change into the Breedline wolf, but they do need blood from them to survive. With the power to hypnotize, most Breedlines have minimal respect and credence toward the half-breed species.

WICCA (or Wise One) - According to the Breedline species, a Wicca is the goddess of magic, witchcraft, the night, moon, ghosts, and necromancy. A Wicca is also considered to be a demonic spirit. It is unclear to the Breedline if they act under the orders of the devil, or they are simply not understood and treated as outcasts. They can do white magic (good) or dark (evil).

ADALWOLF - A species that has the power to shift from their human form into a beautiful creature, twice the size, resembling half man and half wolf. Born with super-strength, they can move from one place to another in supernatural speed. Their eyes take on the appearance of two-shimmering diamonds. With the power to regenerate their own cells, an Adalwolf will stop aging at thirty. The moon has no power over them. And an Adalwolf is immune to silver. They can bond with any species.

LUPA - The ancestors descended from the old legend of the lycanthrope, except the moon has no power over them and it cannot be passed on to others like a virus. It is passed on through genetics to the female offspring, known as a she-wolf. This type of creature shape-shifts into a therianthropic hybrid wolf-like creature, and is considered dangerous... cursed.

THERIOMORPH - This species is born with the genes of a Breedline, but cannot change into a Breedline wolf. They shape shift into an enormous black panther. They possess powers of mind manipulation and random visions of the future. They must use the drug dopamine to suppress their urges. Their eye color shifts into a bright lavender when their Theriomorph nature takes over. The Breedline see them as a threat to their species.

EVE - She is a half-breed and Sebastian's bonded mate. Growing up in human foster care, she spent her entire childhood abused until Sebastian saves her. Scorned from her past, she lashes out in anger, living a life of crime later to discover her twin sister, Mia Blackwood. After realizing the Chiang-Shih demon possesses Sebastian, Eve clings to the past in hopes of reuniting with her beloved. Now that Sebastian is finally free of the demon, she has trust issues, worried he has an alternative plan for their sons.

Sebastian Crow - He is a half-breed, and Eve's bonded mate. After he had been killed by Jace in self- defense, he was possessed by the Chiang-Shih demon after the Angel of Mercy cast him out of Alexander's body. As he tried to portray Sebastian's life, Eve finally figured out his secret. Keeping her captive only to survive on her blood, he later develops feelings for her. The demon creates a death army, determined to dominate the world and unleash his wrath among humans and the Breedline. Now free from the demon, he is determined to reunite with his beloved Eve who is kept prisoner by the Breedline Covenant awaiting trial for her past crimes against them.

Arius and Tidus - Sebastian and Eve's twin boys. Both have inherited their parent's genetics of a half-breed. But Arius carries the mark of the Chiang-Shih demon with the power to create a portal and the ability to heal others.

Steven Pasquale (a.k.a. Steven Craven) - He inherited the genes of a Breedline and an Adalwolf. He was taken from his mother and forced to endure a life of endless, painful experiments by two German physicians; Dr. Hans Autenburg and Dr. Hubert Crane. Without the knowledge of his real family, Steven finally manages to escape his captors, locating his biological parents and his fraternal twin, Tessa Fairchild.

Abbey (a.k.a. Abigail Winthrop) - She inherited the genetics of a Lupa from her mother, who died giving birth. Captured by Dr. Hans Autenburg, a German physician, she spent most of her life forced to endure experiments until she finally managed to escape. With no place to go, Abbey is determined to finally reunite with her beloved Steven after they were separated years ago.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and head council of the California Covenant. Angel, his bonded mate - who is a half-breed - has Tim's daughter they named Natalie, after her sister.

Dr. Helen Carrington - She is a Breedline species and a physician at the California Bates hospital for both Breedlines and humans. Later, she discovers Jace and Jem carry a gene, possibly used for a cure to stop the aging process in her species. After Alexander's demon is banished, he is pardoned for all past crimes and welcomed into the Breedline Covenant. When he meets Helen, they become bonded mates.

Drakon Hexus - He is a Breedline species. At a young age, his first bonded mate was killed by her father. In a rage, he hunts and kills her murderer, breaking the Breedline's True Law. Shunned by his Covenant and forced to live as a rogue wolf, he's promised his humanity back if he joins the Chiang-Shih demon's army. After Drakon discovers the demon's plans to destroy all humans and half-breeds, he betrays him and joins forces with the Breedline. As time passes, he bonds with another mate, Cassie Chamberlain.

Jace Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Beast) - He is a Breedline species which later discovers his birth father - who is possessed by the Chiang-Shih demon -murdered his mother when he and his twin brother were four years old. Raised by their new foster family and their Uncle Jacks, he later discovers he was born with a curse of the Beast. With the help of his twin brother Jem, and his bonded mate Tessa, they help him cope with his rage to keep the Beast at bay. He's an IT engineer and is the lead singer and plays acoustic guitar in the band Chaos.

Jem Chamberlain (a.k.a. the Chosen Son) - He is a Breedline species and Jace's twin brother. He carries the gene of the Chiang-Shih demon that gives him the power to create a portal, and a force of electric energy used as a weapon and other powers he discovers later. His bonded mate is Mia Blackwood, and he's an IT engineer and the drummer in the band Chaos.

Tessa Fairchild - She was born into the human world and later discovers she's a Breedline. Abandoned by her parents, she was raised by her aunt and uncle without the knowledge of being born a twin. After she meets Jace, they become bonded mates. During her first change into her Breedline wolf, she is the new Breedline queen. She is an inspiring artist.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.