Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 20, 2018 Chapters:  ...5 6 -7- 8... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The killer tries to outrun the law.

A chapter in the book Deadly Confession

Evading Justice

by Mistydawn


Summary

An attempt was made on Rachel's life because she witnessed a murder. All the evidence points to someone who couldn't have committed the crime, leaving the detectives baffled. Meanwhile, Luigi kills 4 more and is trying to escape the law. 

Joe speeds down the highway, lights, and sirens blaring. I know he has to be around here somewhere, he thinks as he quickly surveys the peaceful town. Berryville is a small community; a place where everyone knows each other and where ruthless crimes are seldom heard of. As an officer of the law, Joe hopes he can keep it that way.

Seeing taillights pull down a dark country road Joe turns off behind him. "I got you now, sucker." he chuckles, glancing down the treacherous road. Realizing the vehicle is getting further away, Joe pushes on the gas. "You're not outrunning me tonight, asshole." Joe starts to shove the pedal down further when he sees a large creature cross between them. Joe slams on his brakes; his car skids to a stop; dust explodes all around him. Joe sees an angry bull glaring at him when the haze finally settles.

"Get out of my way you stupid beast," he yells as he lays on his horn.

The bull lets out a long, deep bellow as he slowly crosses the road. Joe looks up to see the taillights fading out of sight. "Damn you, bull."  Frustrated, he slams his hand against the wheel. 

*****

The sun slowly peaks over the beautiful Ozark Mountains; the birds chirp cheerfully in the distance, happy for a brand new day. Finished with the extensive crime scene, the techs busily pack up their equipment.

Rachel walks back to the weeping family, a female officer in tow. "This young lady will take you to the motel where you'll be safe."

The widow looks up at the officer, tears streaming down her withered face. "I..I don't have any money."

"The city will pay for it since you're a witness, but only if you agree to testify."

"I will, I will and so will the girls." Pulling away from their mama, the two girls nod.

Rachel turns towards the rookie. "Make sure they get something to eat." She hands the cop some money.

"Oh, thank you, thank you so much," the woman cries. She jumps up from the bench and throws her arms around the detective.

It's the least I can do, Rachel thinks, hugging her back. She turns to see Kirk headed towards them; a perplexed look on his face. "What's wrong, Kirk?"

"You're never going to believe who owns a black Mustang."

"Is it Tito Greco by chance?"

"Yep, and all three descriptions match him perfectly." He hands her a tablet.

Rachel studies the photo for a second; the shooter from Dollar General quickly flashes in her mind. "He must have flown back under the radar. That's if he left at all. Why would the maid say he's gone when he isn't?"

"Maybe she wants to keep her job, or she's his partner in all of this."

"What does Tito have to gain by the Maroni's deaths?" Jeff scratches his head.

"Maybe its revenge for something they did or they should've done but didn't?"

"That's a good motive, Kirk. I'll talk to our Captain and see how he wants to handle this." Rachel starts to walk to her car when she remembers Joe picked her up. She swings back around, an embarrassed look on her face.

"What's wrong, Detective?" Kirk chuckles, watching her face turn three shades of red.

"I didn't bring a car."

"I'll give you a lift."

"You don't drive crazy do you, Kirk? I can't handle any more turmoil tonight."

"They say I drive like a grandpa."

"Believe me, he does," Jeff pipes in. Kirk smacks him in the arm. "Well, you do. I walk faster than what he drives, Rachel. Heck, I bet Granny even does." He chuckles.

"Guess you'll be testing that theory out, now won't you?" Kirk turns towards Rachel. "Are you ready to go?"

"Lead the way." Rachel follows Kirk to his car.

"I was only joking, man."

"You're so mean." Rachel laughs.

"Yeah, I know." Kirk chuckles.

*****

Jerry and Rachel are searching through the evidence logs when Joe walks through the door.

"I hope you're having better luck than me," he says, stomping towards them.

Jerry glances up from his desk. "You didn't find him I take it?"

"I was right on his tail when this damn bull decides to cross the road."

Rachel anxiously looks up from her report. "You didn't hit him, did you?" 

"Luckily, I saw him in time."

"I'd say you're both pretty lucky to come out of it unscathed."

"You're probably right about that." Joe runs his fingers through his hair as he thinks about all the damage the beast could've caused. He shivers at the horrific thought. "I never realized how ugly bulls are until tonight."

"I'm sure that bull is saying the same thing about you, boss." Jerry chuckles.

"Yeah, the beast is probably bragging to all of his friends about how he survived an attack from the scariest creature alive," Rachel adds. The detectives laugh.

"You two aren't one bit funny."

"No, but your face sure is," Jerry says. The duo laughs again.

"You two are hilarious this morning."

Jerry turns towards Joe with a smirk on his face. "Horror land called, boss. They said they want their mask back." Jerry reaches up and touches Joe's face. "Oh my God, it's real." The detectives laugh again.

"I'm so glad you two are enjoying yourselves."

"You know we love you, boss, ugly and all."

"Right back atcha, Jerry." Joe winks.

"We have some good news on our case, Joe."

"I sure could use some about now." He plops down at his old desk.

"We know who the gunman is."

"Who is it?"

"It's Tito Greco."

"That's impossible Rachel; Tito is in Italy with his mother."

"He was in Italy. Evidently, he came back under a different name." She hands him a report.

Joe quickly scans through it. "So I assume someone is picking him up?"

"Not yet, Sharon and Kirk are trying to get enough evidence for a warrant."

"Guys, I have your DNA results right here." Kirk runs to their desk.

"Is it Tito like we suspected?" Rachel questions as she grabs the paper from his hand.

"That's what it shows. When I entered his DNA into the system I found something very strange. He hands her another piece of paper as he continues. "According to my results, he and the two girls have a familial match, but yet he and Mrs. Maroni don't. I compared Mrs. Maroni to the girls and they are related. Out of curiosity, I evaluated Tito's and the girl's DNA to Mr. Greco and there wasn't a similarity there either. Unfortunately, Mr. Maroni's, and Mrs. Greco's DNA isn't in the system to finish my comparison."

"So we can assume that Mr. Maroni and Mrs. Greco had an affair which produced Tito," Rachel concludes.

"Tito finds out; he confronts the Maroni's, demanding his share of the family fortune. They deny his request, so Tito decides to get revenge," Jerry adds.

"Knowing that If he kills them, and then proves his relation, he'll inherit the entire estate," Rachel finishes.

"That's a strong enough motive, so let's see if we have enough for a warrant," Joe says as he reaches for the phone.

*****

Luigi slowly trudges up the long, steep incline towards his home. He knows he has to hide the Mustang in a remote location, in case the cops start snooping around. After his last screw-up, leaving a witness and a police chase, he didn't want to take any more chances.

No one will bother looking for it there, he thinks. Pulling the barn door closed, he secures a lock in place. I wouldn't have to do this if that bum would've left me alone like I asked. Now, thanks to him, I have to kill his wife, two daughters and the Maroni's staff. Guess I need to get a better weapon for all of that. He pulls his handgun out of his pocket and starts to toss it in the lake. Memories of when Bruno gave it to him quickly come to mind. He then recalls all the years he spent admiring the rustic weapon.

"That'll be yours someday, son," Bruno promises, watching the young lad gently stroke the piece.

I was so happy when he finally gave it to me, he thinks, remembering how excited he was when he opened it on Christmas day. Luigi glances at the pistol one last time. "Bessy will do just fine." He shoves the gun in his pocket as he continues towards the house.

 

Characters
Jeanie, Rachel's mom
Emma, Rachel's cousin, but she seems 
like her sister.
Max, Bonnie Webb, Rachel's dad and step mom.
Bruno Greco, He's in the Import business. He also has numerous side companies to cover up illegal proceeds.
Luigi, Tito Greco 28-year-old twins. Live with and work for Bruno. They thought he was their dad until recently.
Charles Maroni, Luigi and Tito's biological father.

Leo, hired hitman.

Berryville PD
Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachel Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.