General Non-Fiction posted August 15, 2018


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Some things so hard to throw away

Cupboard Clutter

by persevere


Hard as I try not to overload my cupboards and drawers the battle rages on. "That may come in handy " or " That means so much to me" are phrases that reverberate.

Over the years I have amassed scraps of material, mounds of them. They are remnants of stitched creations; my own and those for my relatives and friends. Added to the collection are contributions from seamstresses who keep tidy work spaces! Throwing anything away is foreign to me.

My recycling attempt to reduce that collection of scraps is a patchwork bedspread for a double bed. Only the scraps that were not large enough to amply cover a cardboard hexagon were discarded.
As I hand stitched one module after another, memories were ignited.

That green, gold spotted two piece outfit jumped before me. I had felt stylish in my bare midriff creation but my father-in-law caustically commented, " When are you going to finish this dress?"

A patch with waving palm trees and a bikini clad lass called to mindbeach shorts I had made for my young husband. To please me he wore them but felt embarrassingly eye catching.
.
A yellow bunny on a pastel background made me recollect a cot cover I made for a friend's baby girl. The latter babe has just married! The patches last and my memory hasn't dimmed yet!

More patches are stored in the drawer below our double bed. Do we really need another patchwork quilt? I don't think so. I shall have to recycle afresh.

In another drawer there reside a tiny pair of pink Roch Valley satin ballet shoes. They had belonged to my granddaughter and because I had made her first tutu, she felt that I would love to have them. I do indeed and feel that they take up minimal space.

In yet another drawer, among my socks, is a lone navy blue fellow. He and his mate ( since lost in the washing ) originated in Switzerland 34 years ago. Why have I kept one sock? It reminds me of a special holiday. It obviously cannot be part of a patchwork quilt but it has proved useful. My remaining foot ( one leg has been amputated) appreciates its remaining Swiss warmth.

Another couple of items of clothing that I cannot bear to part with are those which are embellished with meaningful insignia. There is a shirt which was given to each member at a school reunion. Though a bit baggy and worn, it is comfortable. I just feel it would be disloyal to part with it.
The other insignia important item is a tracksuit top with an embroidered school badge on the pocket. Parting with it is also not a consideration.


My husband is also loathe to part with certain items of clothing but he is much less of a clutterer than I.
We certainly do not need to call in the decluttering team which is featured on those TV programmes.








Non-Fiction Writing Contest contest entry
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. persevere All rights reserved.
persevere has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.