Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 12, 2018 Chapters: 3 4 -5- 6... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
The killer flees from the cops after his flawed attack

A chapter in the book Deadly Confession

Killer on the Run

by Mistydawn


Summary

An attempt was made on Rachel's life because she witnessed a murder. The detectives continue to run into dead ends.


The killer slowly creeps along the edge of the woods, towards his victim's house. The cool gentle breeze has a damp feel to it; a lingering reminder of the long, hard winter they've just endured. I hope it warms up soon. He throws his arms around himself and continues on. Dogs are barking frantically in the distance, a warning that a harmful intruder is nearby. The prowler is too busy planning his attack to pay them any mind.

I'm going to have a little fun with Mrs. Maroni before I send her to where she belongs. I'll have her begging for forgiveness for all of her sins before I'm through. Maybe then she'll know what it feels like to be weak and defenseless; the way my mama did. Threatening to deport her, knowing she'd be killed when she steps off the plane. His mother was under investigation for exporting drugs. The Maroni's smuggled her out of the country; claiming they're saving her life. Once safely in the new land, she discovers their charity is for personal gain; free labor for room and board.

The bitch deserves everything I'm going to give her too. She made my poor mama believe that her babies died at birth when they didn't. Then deported her the first chance they got. Well, tonight, I'm getting justice for my mama and everyone else this family has harmed through the years.

With a quick look around, he carefully slips around to the edge of the house. Taking a piece of paper from his pocket, he punches in a code. A few more minutes and the world will be rid of three Maroni's; old man Maroni will get his too when the time is right, he thinks as he cautiously slips through the door.

He creeps up the old wooden stairs, towards the children's room. The full moon is shining brightly through the window, making it easier for him to see. He watches his half-sister's chest lazily rise and fall as their snores softly drift through the air. Which one of these spoiled brats should I take care of first? He continues to observe the two girls sleeping peacefully in their beds. Luigi notices the oldest child stir. He secures his silencer in place and then squeezes off two shots into her heart.

"Marla?" the youngest girl asks. She notices a figure between them when she glances towards her sister's bed; the child screams. Luigi spins around and pumps two bullets into the little one's chest. Her pint-sized body collapses on the bed. Now I need to take care of your mama. Luigi hears footsteps coming down the hall; he steps into the shadows and waits.

"Marie honey, are you alright?" A silhouette steps inside the door. Luigi grabs her arm and jerks the woman towards him; their bodies collide with great force. Luigi places his large hand over her mouth; his gun pressed against her head. "Yell and you'll get what they did, understand?" She realizes her two daughters are dead when she looks towards their bed. He feels her tears roll across his hand when she nods. "Good, let's go." He starts to shove her towards the door when he notices shadows dancing along the darkened hallway. So much for that idea. He pulls the trigger. Mrs. Maroni collapses on the floor in front of him. Luigi runs to the window and throws it open. The alarm wails all around him as Luigi hoists his leg over the pane. This could be suicide, he thinks as he glances towards the ground. He looks back to see two rounded figures walk through the door. It's either prison or jump? He pushes off the window; his body plummets to the ground.

"Oh my God, they're dead; all three of them are dead." He hears a lady exclaim from the window above him. The gunman looks up to see red and blue lights fill the evening sky; sirens continue to howl all around him. I've got to get out of here. Pain surges through his body as he scoots across the trampoline; the cops are just blocks away. Gritting his teeth, Luigi lowers himself to the ground; His legs collapse underneath him. I can't go out like this, I just can't, he thinks, watching the cruisers head down the road.

***

Joe runs through the apartment to find Rachel being held at gunpoint by the killer; her revolver down by her feet. "Drop your weapon now," Joe orders.

Smiling, the gunman squeezes off a bullet; brain matter spews across the carpet.

Joe tries to pull his trigger, but the small piece wouldn't budge. The intruder turns towards the captain, he smiles, and fires again.

A high-pitched noise startles Joe awake. His eyes fly open as he breathlessly looks around. It was only a dream, he sighs, relieved by the discovery. Hearing the noise again, he searches for his phone. 
***

Rachel is beside her bed with her gun pointed towards the window; her hands shaking in front of her. She's held perps at gunpoint before, but she's never been forced to shoot anyone. Hearing stories about the aftereffects, she wasn't sure she wanted to. I've been trained for this, she thinks. Rachel takes a deep breath in hopes that it will calm her nerves. She hears the noise again. She cocks her weapon as she takes a stance. There's tapping on her glass again. Rachel nervously shifts her weight. I could aim for his kneecaps, maim, but don't kill. Rachel takes another deep breath as she waits for the window to open. The noise completely stops. He didn't see my shadow, did he? How could he through my blinds? Maybe he chickened out, or maybe an undercover found him. She starts to lower her weapon when another thought occurs to her. He could be waiting for me to go to bed. She raises her gun again. With her eyes on her window, she makes her way across the room. Reaching behind her, she flips the switch; the room goes completely black. That should do it. She walks towards her window again.

***

I shouldn't have parked so far away, the gunman thinks. He hobbles a few more feet to his car. His entire body throbs violently with every little movement as he continues towards safety. I'm glad I hit the trampoline; otherwise, I may not have walked out of there at all. He opens his door and painfully slides into the seat.

It may not have gone the way I'd hoped, but at least I know the Maroni's will never hurt anyone again. Well, they won't when I take care of one more piece of business, daddy himself. Think I'll let him grieve for a while before I take care of him. It's the least I can do after everything he put my mama through. He starts to put his key in the ignition when he realizes a cop is headed his way. He anxiously lies across his seat and waits. His body trembles as the sirens continue to get closer.

They should pass me soon. Lying motionless in his vehicle, he anxiously watches three sets of police lights whiz by. Just a little longer. The sirens slowly weaken to a dull roar. That was too close. He lets out a sigh of relief. Luigi starts to sit up when he hears tapping on his window. Just when I thought I was safe.

***

Joe rubs his eyes as he waits for his caller to respond.

"Three people were killed at the Maroni's, sir." Jeff blurts into the phone.

Joe jumps out of bed. "Did you say dead?"

"Yes, sir, I've sent the address to your phone."

"I want you and Jerry to head to the scene. I'll pick up Rachel and meet you there." He starts to dial her number when his nightmare replays in his mind. It's just a stupid dream, besides, the gunman is probably long gone by now, he concludes. He punches in a few numbers when he stops again. Maybe I should let the guys handle this one, just in case. 

Characters
Jeanie, Rachel's mom
Emma, Rachel's cousin, but she seems 
like her sister.
Max, Bonnie Webb, Rachel's dad and step mom.
Bruno Greco, He's in the Import business. He also has numerous side companies to cover up illegal proceeds.
Luigi, Tito Greco 28-year-old twins. Live with and work for Bruno. They thought he was their dad until recently.
Charles Maroni, Luigi and Tito's biological father.

Leo, hired hitman.

Berryville PD
Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachel Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.

 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.