Mystery and Crime Fiction posted August 8, 2018 Chapters: 2 3 -4- 5... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Rachel escapes the first attack, can she do it again?

A chapter in the book Deadly Confession

Second Attempt

by Mistydawn

Summary

An attempt was made on Rachel's life because she witnessed a murder. The detectives continue to run into dead ends.

Jeanie is setting the table when she hears her youngest daughter Emma bounce into their apartment.

"Mom, I'm home." Tossing her keys on the foyer table, Emma heads towards their kitchen.

Jeanie glances up when she sees Emma step in the door. "How's work, honey?"

"Just wonderful, it's so rewarding being able to help people just like me." Emma was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia when she was sixteen and has been hospitalized for manic episodes several times since. Her last occurrence was a little over a year ago while fleeing from the cops.

Jeanie and Emma sought revenge on everyone who hurt them; they refer to it as their bittersweet revenge. Rachel distracted the police so they could escape. Emma became sick shortly after. Rachel took Jeanie in; Emma moved in when she was released from the hospital. Now, Emma helps others like herself manage their mental illness. The police still have no clue about their crimes; Rachel helps them keep that under wraps.

"I'm so glad you like your new job." Jeanie smiles.

"I love it so much that I almost feel bad about being paid for it." Emma giggles. Jeanie laughs along with her.

"I'm so glad you're happy for a change."

"Me too. I don't know what you're cooking, but it sure smells delicious." Emma licks her lips.

"It's baked ravioli made just the way you girls like." Hearing it's her favorite dish, Emma grabs a plate from the table.

"I think we should wait for your sister to get home, don't you?"

Rachel is actually Emma's cousin and Jeanie, her aunt; Jeanie has taken care of Emma since she was an infant, so Emma feels more like her daughter than a niece. The two look so much alike they can easily pass as siblings.

"Shouldn't Rachel be home by now?"

Jeanie checks her watch. "It is late."

Emma sees the concern in Jeanie's eyes. "Think I'll find out what's keeping her." Emma picks up her cell and dials Rachel's number. "It went straight to voicemail."

"Maybe she's on an assignment?" Jeanie says as she anxiously stirs the vegetables.

"Yeah, maybe." Emma tilts her head to the side; a look of doubt on her face. "Why don't you call Bonnie and Max; find out if they've heard from her?" She hands her mom the phone.

Jeanie glances at the device, trying to decide what to do. "I'd hate to worry her dad and stepmom over nothing." She lays Emma's phone on the counter.

"Yeah, you're probably right."

I hope so, Jeanie thinks, eyeing her watch again.

*****

Joe sees an assortment of vehicles parked along the edge of the road when he drives up to the scene. She has our entire crew out here, he thinks as he pulls in behind them. Joe hears an EMT arguing with Rachel when he climbs out of his car. "Nothing slows that girl down." Their arguments start replaying in his mind. "Not a thing." He chuckles.

"I said I'm not going." Rachel sits up on the gurney.

"You really need to have a doctor check you out." The paramedic holds up his hands to stop her from scooting off the cot.

"I said I'm not going." She tries pushing him out of her way.

Joe walks over to a firefighter who's observing their argument from afar. "How is she?"

"She has a few minor lacerations, but other than that she seems fine. Which is surprising considering what we pulled her out of. The EMT points down the hill. Joe sees her car horizontally on a cliff. The front end is burnt to mere ashes.

Joe shakes his head. "She's lucky to be alive."

"Yeah, well, her injuries seem to have made her sassier."

"This is normal behavior for her." Joe laughs.

"Don't you dare strap me to that gurney," Rachel hisses, as she shoves the EMT away.

"I'll try and calm her down, talk some sense into her."

"Good luck with that, Captain." He chuckles.

I need more than luck, Joe thinks as he walks towards her. "What are you throwing such a fit about, Detective?"

"These goons want to take me to the hospital, but I'm perfectly fine." Determined to prove her point, Rachel sits up.

Joe watches her teeter back and forth. "This is for your own good." He pushes her down on the stretcher. The EMT's quickly secure their straps.

"Let go of me," she yells as she tries to break free of their grip.

Hearing his daughter scream, Max runs down the hill. He's taken aback by her appalling behavior. "That is enough out of you, Rachel Elizabeth Webb."

"Ah, hi, Daddy," she says, trying to act innocent.

"Don't you hi daddy me, young lady. I want you to stop acting like a child and go to the hospital."

"Yes, Dad." 

"Thank you, sir," The EMT loads her into the ambulance.

"Tell Rachel, Joe and I will meet her there and I said to behave."

"Yes, sir."

*****

The smell of antiseptic drifts across the cold, sterile room as Joe paces back and forth waiting for Rachel to get dressed. I wish she'd hurry, he thinks, feeling a sharp twinge in his stomach. The hospital has affected him this way since his Mother's death.

"I told you I'm fine." Rachel pulls the curtain back.

"Not so fast, I need to get a statement from you before you leave."

"Can we do it tomorrow? It's late and I'm starving."

"It's best to do it now while it's still fresh in your mind."

"Oh, alright." She turns to face her boss. "I was driving back to the station when I notice this black F10 speeding behind me. I pump my breaks, in hopes that he'll spot me and slow down. He catches up to me and slams into my car. The next thing I know, I'm at the bottom of Bluebird Mountain."

"Are you sure it's a black F10?"

"Yes, dad has a white one identical to it."

"Can you describe the driver?"

"It was too dark and foggy to see."

"Where had you first noticed him?"

"I was about a half mile from town." The totality of her situation finally hits her. She glances towards the floor as tears stream down her face.

"What's wrong, hon?"

She looks up at Joe. "My poor car is totaled, isn't it?"

"I'm afraid so."

"I loved that old car, too," she cries.

"I know you did, but now you can get a newer, fancier vehicle."

"I don't want a fancier car. I want my neon," she bawls. Joe reaches over and gently pulls her to him; she snuggles in closer.

"Maybe we can find you another Neon," he suggests, hoping his idea would soften her blow.

"It won't be the same," she blubbers.

"Tell you what I'll do, I'll bang it up for you, so it'll be just like your old car, OK?"

"Oh, Joe." She playfully smacks his chest. He teases her about all the dents in her vehicle. Often telling her he's seen demolition cars with less body damage. "My car may not have looked the best, but I bet it would've beat your crappy car any day."

Joe laughs as he wipes away her tears. "You're probably right about that."

She stands on her tiptoes and gives him a quick kiss on his cheek. "Thanks, Joe, you're the greatest."

*****

Lying in her bed, Rachel starts thinking about how she was run off the road. I know it was purposely done it had to have been. And I know that I was the intended target since I have the only purple Neon in town. Why would someone come after me? I don't have any enemies. Well, none that I know of. Was my accident because of our new case? Why me, why now, when we don't have a clue. Maybe something I said or did today made him nervous. I don't know what that could've been since it was all dead ends. Did this person want to kill me, or warn me? What if he intended to kill me? Will he come back and finish the job when he finds out I'm alive? Joe would've put a detail on my house if he thought I was at risk. Rachel runs to her window. She quickly discovers an undercover outside her building. Oh my god, he does think I'm in danger. Why didn't he tell me? A previous incident comes to mind. He knew I'd refuse again. Well, I'm going to make sure we're safe, she concludes.

After checking the locks on her door and windows, Rachel runs back to her bedroom. Scooping up her gun from a metal lock box, she pops a clip in place. "Come after me again and see what happens." Hearing her window rattle, she turns towards the noise. 

Characters
Jeanie, Rachel's mom
Emma, Rachel's cousin, but she seems like her sister.
Max, Bonnie Webb, Rachel's dad and step mom.
Bruno Greco, He's in the Import business. He also has numerous side companies to cover up illegal proceeds.
Luigi, Tito Greco 28-year-old twins. Live with and work for Bruno. They thought he was their dad until recently.
Charles Maroni, Luigi and Tito's biological father.
Leo, hired hitman.

 

Berryville PD
Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachel Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.