Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 31, 2018 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
A hit man is planning a take down on Rachel.

A chapter in the book Deadly Confession

Imminent Danger

by Mistydawn

 
Summary
The Berryville detectives are trying to solve a murder. Rachel witnessed the shooter and now has a target on her back.

Rachel and Jeff pull up to a beautiful two-story brick home centered on acres of lush green lawn. They notice a few of their groundskeepers busy in the older flower beds while others are planting seeds for the upcoming season.

"They really care about their lawn," Rachel watches the workers hustle around the yard.

"I guess they want everything to be perfect for the social gatherings," Jeff informs her, as they climb out of his car.

Rachel watches Mrs. Maroni yell at one of the hired hands when she walks across their drive. She realizes the poor young lad is on the verge of tears when she gets closer. "I'd hate to work for her," Rachel whispers.

"Me too," Jeff agrees.

"You may go now," Mrs. Maroni says. Gulping back tears, the young man hangs his head; he slowly trudges away.

No one should be chastised like that, Rachel thinks. She shakes her head. "Mrs. Maroni?"

"Yes." Mrs. Maroni gives the female detective a condescending look while she sizes her up.

Arrogant ass, Rachel thinks. She rolls her eyes, as she steps up closer. Play nice Rachel, she reminds herself. Rachel gives the lady a look of disdain before she begins. "My name is Detective Webb; I'm with the Berryville PD. I need to ask you a few questions about your son."

"I expected as much, Detectives," Mrs. Maroni snobbishly replies.

Ignoring her tone, Rachel takes a notebook from her pocket. "Does Carlos have any enemies?"

"I couldn't say, he's been living with that whore wife of his for years."

Rachel looks up from her notebook. "What's her name and where does she live?" 

"Her name is Adina Ricci. She and her two children live in that appalling trailer park on the other side of town. Neither of the little imps has the Maroni blood, thank God."

"Do you know if Carlos has a gambling or a drug problem?" Rachel inquires.

"I imagine my son has both since he hangs out with trash these days."

"Do you know their names?"

"No, and I don't care to, neither. I'm sure that gold-digger wife of his can tell you what you need to know. Now if you'll excuse me, Detectives, I have dinner to prepare." She turns away. It's more like they prepare while you bark out orders, Rachel thinks.

Jeff has another thought. "Is Mr. Maroni at home?" 

Aggravated, she spins back around. "He left for a business trip a few hours ago, won't be back until Friday. I assure you, he won't be any assistance to you either. Neither of us had spoken to our son in over two years."

Trouble in paradise? Rachel thinks. "Why is that?" 

Mrs. Maroni gives her an unnerving stare. "I don't see how that's any of your concern."

"It could rule you out as a suspect," Rachel snaps back.

"If you must know, he disgraced the family name when he married that tramp. Now I really must go," she huffs, storming into her house.

"Don't we think we're all high and mighty?" Rachel sasses as she walks down the sidewalk.

"Is that any way to talk about your new best friend?" Rachel glares at Jeff. "I'm kidding." He laughs.

"You don't know how bad I wanted to tell her what she could do with that pompous attitude of hers,"  Rachel turns and glares at the house.

"I saw you bite your tongue." He snickers.

"I almost bit it off. I guess we better talk to Adina, see if she can tell us more."

He chuckles. "You're in for a real treat now." 

"Why do you say that?" She snaps her seatbelt in place.

"Adina is one you won't soon forget." When he was a beat cop, Jeff was sent to her residence numerous times on domestic disturbance calls. He'd arrive to find a petite Italian lady beating the crap out of her flavor of the week. "Yep, you definitely won't forget her." Smiling he pulls away.

Rachel watches two young children play in the dirt when they pull into Adina's drive. She then notices their rickety mobile home behind them. The kids run inside when they see a squad car stop at their house.

"He must really love her to give up a life of luxury for this," Rachel replies; she glances at their faded blue eyesore.

"Maybe he hates his mom as much as you."

"I doubt that."

"What the hell do you want?" A short, heavyset woman hisses, from the top of a broken down porch.

"Are you Adina Maroni?" Rachel sees the lady start to tense up.

Adina anxiously steps back. "Who wants to know?" 

"We're with the Berryville PD and we need to ask you a few questions about your husband's murder," Jeff informs her.

"He's dead, what more do you need to know?"

"We're sorry for your loss," Rachel says.

"His death is a blessing to us all."

Puzzled by her statement, Rachel glances at her partner. Jeff continues with his questions. "Did he have any rivals?"

"He had lots of them. They came to our house every day, demanding Carlos pay them what he owes."

"Can you give us their names?"

"I don't know their names. I figure it isn't any of my business." She nervously glances around the neighborhood.

"Do you know any friends we could talk to, maybe get a little more information?"

"He doesn't have any Detective. He used to have lots of friends until he screwed them out of their life savings," she says as she continues to scan the area.

Now we're getting somewhere, Rachel thinks. "Can you give me their names?" Adina gets a horrified look on her face. Rachel gazes in that direction, but doesn't see a thing.

"I'm not answering any of your questions." She runs inside and slams the door behind her.

"We need you to help us find his killer," Rachel yells through an open window. Adina doesn't answer.

"The man who shot Carlos might come after you next," Jeff adds.

"I can take care of myself. So get the hell off of my property and stay off," Adina screams as she slams the window closed.

"I see what you mean, Jeff."

"That was mild compared to what she's normally like." He climbs in his car.

*****

Joe sees his detectives walk into the station. "What did you guys find out?" 

"Not a darn thing," Rachel replies. She falls into her chair.

"We did find out that everyone is glad he's dead, including his parents."

"Tito will be happy to know he did the world a favor."

"Tito, who, Joe?"

"Tito Greco, the DNA at our crime scene confirms he's our killer."

"Do you want us to pick him up, sir?"

"I've already sent officers to his home." Joe notices a perplexed look on the detective's face, he continues, "I would've sent you, Jeff, but I didn't want a repeat of the mess you made at the Greco's home a few years ago. I'm still surprised the city wasn't sued over your stupid stunt."

"What happened?" Rachel glances at Jeff and then at Joe.

"He barges in their home in the middle of the night. Old man Greco gets mouthy so Jeff decides to show him who's in charge."

"Yeah, and our Captain put me on desk duty for four months and anger management classes for six."

"You're lucky he didn't can your sorry ass."

"I was a dumb rookie." Jeff shrugs.

"I think it's best if you work the sideline on this." Joe sees the two officers he sent to pick up Tito walk into their precinct empty-handed. "Where's Tito, Larry?"

"He isn't home. His father said he and his mother have been in Italy for the past two weeks."

"Is there any proof?"

"I have a receipt for his plane ticket right here." He hands Joe a small piece of paper.

"Make sure it's legitimate, Sergeant."

Jerry types information into his computer. "Larry's right, boss, Tito was on that plane."

"Does Tito have a twin?" Rachel asks.

Jeff pulls up hospital records. "According to this, Mrs. Greco gave birth to twin boys. Wait, there's a death certificate. Luigi, her second boy was stillborn. The twins are her only children."

"He didn't take a flight back, did he?"

Jerry glances up from his computer. "Not that I can find, boss." 

"Rachel, go talk to their staff." 

*****

Leo sees Rachel rush across the parking lot. "Where are you going in such a hurry?" Straightening up in his seat, he glances towards the door expecting her partner to follow. "And you're all by yourself too." Leo excitedly watches her crawl into the Neon. I knew tailing you would pay off eventually, but I didn't expect it to be this soon, he thinks as she backs out of her space.

Characters
Bruno Greco, He's in the Import business. He also has numerous side companies to cover up illegal proceeds.
Luigi, Tito Greco 28-year-old twins. Live with and work for Bruno. They thought he was their dad until recently.
Charles Maroni, Luigi and Tito's biological father.
Mrs.Maroni, Charles wife.
Adina Ricci Maroni, Carlos' widow.
Leo, hired hit-man.

Berryville PD
Joe Bower, Captain
Jerry Andrews, Sergeant
Rachell Webb, Detective, the captain's girlfriend
Jeff Montgomery, Detective.
Larry, beat cop



 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.