Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 23, 2018 Chapters:  ...18 19 -20- 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Can Granny and Jackie outrun the cops one last time?

A chapter in the book Granny's Revenge

Running Out of Time

by Mistydawn


Granny is getting ready to kill her fourth victim when a group of people stumbles out of the bar. She flees, leaving one victim alive. He dies in a hospital, mumbling Granny. Everyone believes he's talking about his relative and not the killer. Granny tries to stop a drunk in the park. A cop sees what she's doing and arrests her. Proving its self-defense, she receives an award for taking down the Nanny Bandit. A nurse notices blood on her dress. Granny explains, there was an accident at the park. A waitress catches her; she decides to make her a partner. The duo continues their killing spree, killing over a dozen their first night. Granny pulls up to Jackie's building to find the cops have it surrounded. She escapes that only to find roadblocks set up all over the city. They take a back road, hoping to flee the state. They are run off the road and then held hostage by two goons. The women kill the thugs, put them in Granny's car and burn it. Then steal their assailant's car. The women soon discover the car they've just stolen is being shut down remotely. Looking behind them, they see the cops are closing in.
The Berryville detectives identify a lady who's arguing with one of the victims. They bring her to the station. They discover bloody clothes, a wig, and the murder weapon in Matilda their suspect's things. Believing her partner is Jackie Harris they begin a statewide search. One of the victim's ID'd Jackie as the killer and a lady who they believe to be Matilda's twin.

___
Joe runs to the captain's office and knocks on his door. "Sir, I just got word that a State trooper spotted Betty's car on a back road leading out of the state. They said that their engine caught fire, causing the entire car to go up in flames."

"Are the women alright?" He takes off his glasses and tosses them on his desk.

"No one knows, sir; they can't find them."

"Tell Jerry and Jeff to get out there and take our canine unit too."

"What would you like for Rachel and I to do, sir?"

"I want you guys to inform the police stations in the area. I'll notify the state troopers and the Sheriff's Department; make sure our BOLO goes nationwide."

Jeff knocks twice on the door and then quickly steps inside. "Sir, Missouri Sheriff's Department just called. They said they found human remains inside the car."

"Did they say if it was our suspects?"

"They're not sure, sir. The bodies are too disintegrated to tell."

"Jeff, you, Jerry and Kirk go on out there; bring our canines along just in case."

"Yes, sir."

"I'll still advise the local authorities of the situation since those corpses may not be theirs."

"That's my thoughts exactly, Joe." The captain smiles.

***

The car slows down to a mere crawl as it reaches the top of the hill; terrified, Jackie and Granny look around, trying to figure out what to do. Jackie sees the cop car is only a few hills behind them. "We've got to make a run for it, Granny, it's our only hope," she anxiously blurts out as she throws their car in park.

"Run to where?" Granny questions as she glances across miles of uninhabited land.

"When was the last time you rode a horse?"

Granny watches two beautiful, black stallions frolick through the field. "You're kidding, right?"

"They're our only option," Jackie says. She continues to glance around, hoping to find a better alternative. Jackie spots a farmer's truck in the middle of a field. I wonder if I can still hotwire a car. Jackie tries to remember what she was shown but draws a quick blank. I'll probably remember when I take the ignition apart, she thinks. She nervously looks behind her again. "Do you think you can make it over to there?" She points to a rusty pickup in the middle of the field.

"You want to steal another vehicle?"

"Not steal, just borrow until we get across the state lines."

"You see where the first one got us," Granny argues, glancing behind them.

"It's either that or we take a chance with those beasts."

Granny watches the animals run wildly through their pasture. "I don't think they're broken."

"Pickup it is." The two women bolt out of their car. Jackie is halfway across the field when another thought occurs to her. "You go on ahead, I'll meet you there."

"You can't go back now."

"I have to."

"Why?"

"I'm going to burn the car; keep our original plan authentic."

Granny scans the road. "You better make it quick."

"You just get yourself to safety; let me do what needs to be done."

***

Jerry and Jeff discover the area is deserted when they pull up to the crime scene.

"You'd think they'd know better, abandoning evidence like this; especially since it's connected to an ongoing investigation."

"It's not their case, so why should they care?" Jeff says.

"Where is everyone?" Kirk asks as he walks up beside them.

"I guess they had better things to do with their time," Jerry remarks.

"At least they secured the crime scene," Kirk says as he ducks under the yellow tape.

"Hey Jerry, I found something over here." Jeff points towards the middle of the road.

Jerry and Kirk walk over to where he's standing. They see a large puddle of red liquid in the soil. They then notice two indentions on either side of the solvent and small footprints on the outer side of it. They soon discover the marks lead to the vehicle when they follow it across with their eyes.

"It looks like someone killed them and then dragged them to the car. Kirk..."

"I'm already on it, sir." He takes a notebook from his bag and quickly sketches a picture. He then snaps a shot of the scene. Grabbing a clean dropper from his kit, Kirk starts collecting the blood.

"This is a big undertaking for just one person," Jerry says as he surveys the desolate area.

"I can handle it, sir."

"I know you can, better than most." He smiles. "But you shouldn't have to do it alone." 

"I really don't mind, sir."

"You don't want to be stuck out here all night do you?"

Kirk scans his eerie surroundings. "Not really, sir." He shivers.

***

Finally reaching the pickup, Granny exhaustedly climbs inside. She watches the car going up in flames. She then sees her partner hightailing it across the open field. Granny nervously glances towards the road. Jackie isn't going to make it, she thinks, anxiously searching for a spare key. The driver's door flies open; startled, Granny jumps back in her seat.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?" a tall rounded man asks.

Granny first notices the way his dishwater blonde hair is thinning on top. She then sees his wrinkled, sun-kissed forehead and the deep creases on his face; putting him in his late sixties. His bib overalls and button-up shirt suggest he's much older as does the thick gray stubble on his face. His large stature and hostile demeanor frighten Granny. She quickly scoots back, smacking a rifle with her leg. Granny glances at the road and then at her partner, trying to figure out what she should do.

"I suggest you leave, now," the man says. Terrified, Granny scoops up the gun beside her. The long metal object feels strange in her hands as she swings it around. "Give me your keys, or else," she demands.

He notices the way her hands shake as she tries to steady the rifle. I bet she's never handled a gun in her life, he thinks. "Put that thing away before you get hurt." The man laughs.

"The only one that's going to get hurt is you." He takes another step towards her. "I said give it to me," she yells; mustering up every bit of courage she can in hopes that she'll sound brave. He moves in closer. "I warned you." She pulls back on the trigger but nothing happens. Granny tries again; the gun clicks in her hands.
"You have to cock it first, bonehead," he says as he jerks his gun away. He folds the barrel down and then thrusts it back up; the metal locks in place. "Get out of my vehicle, nice and slow," he instructs.

Granny hears a loud whack and then watches as the guy tumbles to the ground.

"I thought this might come in handy," Jackie says as she hands Granny her cane.

"I'm so glad to see you."

"Save our happy reunion for later, when the cops aren't closing in." Grabbing a set of keys from the man's pocket, Jackie runs to the driver's door.
 
Granny turns to see two cruisers coming around the last curve. "Go, go," Granny screams as the cops close in.

Jackie starts the truck. The old beast sputters and then dies. "What's going on?" Jackie questions.

"The choke, the choke," Granny yells as she points to a nob on the dash.

Jackie starts to try again when she feels a small circular object press firmly against her head. 

"Make one wrong move and I'll blow your brains out," the farmer warns. Jackie looks up to see the cops have them completely surrounded. 

6 Months Later.

Joe and Rachel are cuddled up on the couch watching their favorite program when breaking news flashes across their TV. An announcer pops up on their set as a warning scrolls across the bottom.

"This just in; two fugitives escaped police custody while they were being transported to the Arkansas State Correctional Facility." Two pictures flash across their screen.

"Oh my God, Joe, it's Betty and Jackie," she exclaims as she springs up from her seat.

"No!" Joe yells, jumping up beside her. Victim after victim flashes through his mind as he stares at the screen.

The commentator continues. "The fugitives are thought to be connected to over two dozen murders. If you see the suspects, seek safety immediately and then call your local authorities."

"It looks like their murdering spree is starting all over again," Joe says as he plops back down on the couch.

___

Characters
Granny, the killer, lives in assisted living after losing her family. Injured by a drunk driver. 
Matilda lives in assisted living. She just lost her grandson to a drunk driver.
Marge, Matilda's friend.
Liz and Lisa nurses at the facility.
Nancy, nursing assistant
Jackie waitress at the dinner, Granny's partner in crime.
Stinky, Rachel's pet skunk.

Berryville PD
Joe, Sergeant
Jerry, Detective
Rachel, Detective
Jeff, Detective
Kirk Forensic analysis
Sharon, Medical Examiner






 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.