Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 19, 2018 Chapters:  ...17 18 -19- 20 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Granny and Jackie are being held captive by two thugs.

A chapter in the book Granny's Revenge

Facing Their Dilemma

by Mistydawn


Granny is getting ready to kill her fourth victim when a group of people stumbles out of the bar. She flees, leaving one victim alive. He dies in a hospital, mumbling Granny. Everyone believes he's talking about his relative and not the killer. Granny tries to stop a drunk in the park. A cop sees what she's doing and arrests her. Proving its self-defense, she receives an award for taking down the Nanny Bandit. A nurse sees blood on her dress. Granny explains, there was an accident at the park. A waitress catches her; she decides to make her a partner. The duo continues their killing spree, killing over a dozen their first night. Granny pulls up to Jackie's building to find the cops have it surrounded. She escapes that only to find roadblocks set up all over the city. They take a backroad, hoping to flee the state. They are run off the road and then held hostage by two goons.
The Berryville detectives identify a lady who's arguing with one of the victims. They bring her to the station. They discover bloody clothes, a wig, and the murder weapon in Matilda their suspect's things. Believing her partner is Jackie Harris they begin a statewide search. One of the victim's ID'd Jackie as the killer and a lady who looks like Matilda. The police believe it might be Matilda's twin.
___

Jackie continues to scuffle around in her seat trying to get away. The hefty thug laughs as he tightens his grip on her throat. She gasps for much-needed air. "Please don't hurt us. Take whatever you want just please leave us be," she begs as a tear trickles down her cheek.


Granny sees the anguish on her partner's face as she continues her own skirmish, getting control of her cane. I've got to do something before he kills her. A thought suddenly occurs to her. I'd be saving her only to kill her later. She recalls how helpful her partner has been. Do I really want her dead? She looks towards the defenseless woman again.

"Help me," Jackie gulps.

With one hard thrust, Granny jerks her weapon away. She raises her cane to her shoulder and then pulls the trigger. An ice bullet shoots from the weapon, abrading her attacker's neck.

"Missed me, you old bat."


"I'm not old!" Granny yells as she throws her door open. The metal pings against his legs. The guy stumbles into a batch of loose gravel. He tries to regain his balance; his foot slips causing him to fall face-first towards their car. He grabs hold of its window frame on his way down. Granny slams the barrier closed and then thrusts it back open. Losing his grip, the assailant slides down the mountainside. She turns her cane around and squeezes its trigger again. Blood splatters across the car as the ice bullet lodges in the second thug's skin.

"You bitch," he yells. The aggressor stumbles backward as he reaches for his neck. 

Jackie plants a death grip on her steering wheel as she gasps for much-needed air. The invader takes a few shaky steps towards them; blood continues to spew from his wound. He becomes dizzy, light-headed when he takes another step. The goon stumbles back and then folds to the ground.


Granny hears a noise beside her. She turns to see tree limbs swaying in the breeze. She notices the second goon getting off the ground when she glances over. "Go, Go," Granny screams as she shakes her partner out of a trance-like state. Frightened, Jackie peels away.

The ladies regain their composure a few miles down the road.


"Can you believe them bastards, coming at us the way they did?" Jackie questions glancing over at her partner.

"I showed them 
old." Granny recalls the fear in the man's eyes as he held onto her door.

"You sure did." She laughs. "I say we go back and finish them off and then steal their vehicle since the cops probably have an APB on this one."

"I can't give up my baby, I just can't; it has a lot of sentimental value," she cries.


"Which is more important, a keepsake or your freedom?"

Memories of trips with her family replay in her mind as she tearfully glances around. "I suppose you're right. You surprise me sometimes, Jackie."


"How do I do that?" she questions, glancing at her partner.

"The way you always think ahead, trying to outsmart the cops."

"I was quite a criminal back in the day."

"Until you got caught, right?" Granny questions.

"Nope, I never spent a single night in jail. In fact, I wasn't even on their radar."


"What made you turn your life around?"

"I lost my one and only, my true love because of drugs," Recalling their happy times, Jackie starts to cry. "He got a hold of some bad heroin; OD'd in my arms, and I couldn't do anything to stop it," she blubbers.


"I'm so sorry for your loss."

Jackie wipes tears from her face. "I have to move on, do something good with my life." She sniffles, trying to put on a brave face.


"Is that why you volunteered to help me?"

"That's exactly why. I want to make my mark in the world, do good for a change." She wipes her face again. "You probably think I'm a big baby, blubbering the way I did.
"

"Not at all, in fact, I admire your aspiration." Seeing the shocked look on her partner's face she continues. "It takes a lot of strength, tenacity to walk away from drugs, start all over again."

"You're a pretty spunky lady yourself." Jackie chuckles through her tears.


"I was quite a spitfire back in my day, a little cantankerous too."

"I'd say you still are." Jackie laughs, as she pulls alongside their attacker's vehicle. "I don't see his partner anywhere, do you?"


"No." They climb out of the car and start looking around.

"I found him."

Granny walks over to her. She sees a man lying awkwardly on the edge of the cliff. She then notices tire tracks across his back. "It looks like you ran him over when you pulled away."

"That's one way to do it." Jackie chuckles. "Help me drag him to your car."


"Why?" Granny questions as she nervously glances down the road.

"If we put them in your car and then set it on fire the police will assume it's us and stop their search; at least long enough for us to get away."

"Burn my car, are you nuts?" Granny questions, tossing her hands in the air.


"Do you want to run from the cops or finish what we started?"

"I want to finish, of course, but..."

"Ok then, help me."
***

The captain sees Joe concentrating on a report when he steps out of his office. At least I know this department will be in good hands when I leave, he solemnly thinks. "How's it going Sergeant?" he asks as he continues towards their station.

Joe glances up from his desk. "We have roadblocks set up at every major street leading out of the city and we have an APB out on them and their car."


"Has public transportation been informed?"

"I just finished it up," Jerry says as he walks towards them. "Yep, there's no way those two are going to escape now."

"I hope not."


"I showed the victim a photo array and he picked Betty out of the bunch, sir."

"How bad did Rachel rub it in your face, Joe?" The captain smiles, remember how merciless she can be.

Jerry glances over at the sergeant and snickers. "The chicken-shit hasn't told her yet." 


"You haven't told me what?" Rachel asks, coming up behind them.

The captain smiles. "Do you want to tell her or should I?"

"I think you should, sir." Jerry snickers. Joe punches him in the arm.


"Hey," he protests as he grabs his injured extremity. Rachel shakes her head.

"It turns out you were right all along." The captain grins.

"Right about what, sir?" Rachel asks, glancing curiously at her partners.


"Betty is our killer, not Matilda."

"You don't say." Smiling, she turns towards Joe.

"Thanks a lot, sir."


The captain chuckles. "Think of it as a payback for all the hell you've given me." He laughs again. "Go ahead Rachel, give it to him and then give him some more." He sees the twinkle in her eyes as an ornery smile spreads across her face.

"Oh, she will, sir, believe me, she will."

"It serves you right." Laughing the captain starts to walk away. Having another thought, he turns back around. "I hope she gives you hell too, Jerry."


"I'm an angel, sir."

"Is that why your halo is tarnished and held up by horns?"


***

"It should be smooth sailing from here on out," Jackie says. She turns on the cruise control and then kicks back in her seat.

"Are the rest of the roads like this?"


"They should be."

"Thank god, I don't think my insides can take much more of that jarring."

"The road has gotten a lot worse since I last..." She gasps when she glances in her mirror.

"What's wrong?" Granny asks as she turns around in her seat. She watches behind them but doesn't see a thing.

"I thought I saw a cop." She glances in her mirror again. "It must've been my imagination." Jackie nervously chuckles. She starts to look away when she notices red and blue lights flying down the hill behind her. "That wasn't my imagination."

Granny quickly scans the area, hoping to find a place to turn off. She soon discovers there are only open fields around them. "What are we going to do?"

"Hold on tight." She pushes the pedal to the floor.

"You're not going to outrun them are you?" Granny asks as she secures her seatbelt in place.

"Just until we cross the state line."

"They still can arrest us, you know."

"Not if they can't find us." Jackie chuckles. She hears a high pitched alarm inside the car. Looking down she sees the engine power is reduced flashing across the panel. That's just my luck, she thinks.

"What's going on?" Granny nervously questions.

"The car is being shut down remotely. I'm guessing it was reported stolen by the real owners." Her partner frightenedly explains, pointing to some papers stuffed between the seats. 

____ 

 

Characters
Granny, the killer, lives in assisted living after losing her family. Injured by a drunk driver. 
Matilda lives in assisted living. She just lost her grandson to a drunk driver.
Marge, Matilda's friend.
Liz and Lisa nurses at the facility.
Nancy, nursing assistant
Jackie waitress at the dinner, Granny's partner in crime.
Stinky, Rachel's pet skunk.

Berryville PD
Joe, Sergeant
Jerry, Detective
Rachel, Detective
Jeff, Detective
Kirk Forensic analysis
Sharon, Medical Examiner


















 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.