Mystery and Crime Fiction posted July 7, 2018 Chapters:  ...14 15 -16- 17... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The evidence is staking up against the killers

A chapter in the book Granny's Revenge

Indisputable Facts

by Mistydawn


Summary
Matilda just lost her Grandson to a drunk driver.
Granny is getting ready to kill her fourth victim when a group of people stumbles out of the bar. She flees, leaving one victim alive. He dies in a hospital, mumbling Granny. Everyone believes he's talking about his own relative and not the killer. Granny tries to stop a drunk in the park. A cop sees what she's doing and arrests her. She talks herself out of trouble then receives an award for taking down the Nanny Bandit. A waitress catches her; she decides to make her a partner. A nurse sees blood on her dress. Granny explains, there was an accident at the park. Jackie catches granny in the act so Grany decides to make her a partner. Together they kill over a dozen.

The Berryville detectives find a dozen victims in the alley and ID's a lady who's arguing with one of the victims. They bring her to the station. The police found bloody clothes, wig and the murder weapon in Matilda's things. The police believe her partner is Jackie. Joe finally asks Rachel on a date.
___

Granny glances up at the stars sparkling across the dark sky. She then notices the full moon shining brightly beside them. "This one's for you," she murmurs. The night creatures clamor seems to intensify as her victim fights for a final breath. Granny looks down at the battered man. "You'll never hurt anyone again," she says, walking towards her partner. She sees Jackie beside her car as she pushes through the brush. "He's taken care of." Granny sniffles as she slides into her vehicle. She glances at the area and then at Jackie. "I know it won't bring back my family, but at least they got the justice they deserve." Wiping a tear from her cheek, she pulls away.

"That's what we're doing it for, to make the perpetrators pay?"

"Absolutely, dear." Regaining her composure she continues, "Our next target is one I think you can relate to. He pimps out his wife and daughters to all the lowlifes around town." She hands her a stack of pictures lying between them. "His twins just turned six."

Jackie looks down at the sad little girls in the photo; all broken and beaten from their daddy's nightly abuse. The poor things never had a chance, just like my sisters, she thinks. Jackie's eyes start tearing up as her mind flashes back to the last time she saw her siblings. They were being wheeled out of their house on a stretcher all bloody and beaten barely holding onto life. She then remembers her dad lying dead on their cold wooden floor, blood pooling all around him. I'm glad I pulled the damn trigger, and that he suffered to the end. The next photo in her stack was of a gruesome man. The coldness in his stare, the hate in his eyes put a shiver down her spine. She then notices the vile look on his face, the way he snarled at the camera. His jaw was clamped shut and his fists tightly clenched on either side of his body. 

"That's who we're going after," Granny says as she points to the picture.

He looks vaguely familiar. Wanting a better look, Jackie flips on her phone. "Oh, my God, it is him." She springs back in her seat.

"What is it, dear?"

"This... This man, he's one of the men who raped me." She pictures herself tied to her bed, his large foul-smelling body on top of her, spent from their last encounter. Jackie shakes the horrid image from her mind. "I want to take care of him on my own."

"I think it's best if we work together."

"You had your solo job so it's only fair I have mine," she states.

"If that's the way you want it," Granny says, trying not to smile.

"It is."

Framing her is going to be easier than I thought, Granny thinks as they continue down the road.

******

Joe and Jerry hesitantly walk back into the station. They knew their Sergeant wasn't going to be too happy with what they had to tell him, but after searching the entire town they didn't know what else to do.

"Ah, boss..." Jerry timidly begins.

Joe glances up from his desk "Where's our suspect, guys?"

"She wasn't home."

"We checked with her friends and neighbors, but she wasn't there either." Jeff quickly adds.

"Did you...?"

"Patrol is sitting on her house, her work and I had dispatch put an APB out on her car."

"Work like that is why I made you my right-hand man." Joe pats Jerry on the back and then turns towards Jeff. "You can learn a lot from this guy."

"Thank you, boss."

Rachel glances up from her desk. "I was looking into Matilda's history and discovered she has a twin."

"And?" Joe says, motioning her to continue.

"Her sister's DNA would be the same, right?"

"It would if they were identical twins, but that doesn't matter because we have the wig, cane, and dress."

You're not dismissing my idea that quick, Joe. "What if her twin is trying to frame her?"

"That'd be another possibility if it weren't for Matilda's fingerprints on the cane?"

"Sharon found prints?" she asks, shocked by the news.

"Hers and Jackie Harris' were on the handle."

"There goes that idea," Rachel says, throwing her hands in the air.

"Maybe not," Joe says, running his fingers through his thinning hair.

"What do you have in mind?"

"What if we use her sister to our advantage?" he says as he continues to conjure up his plan.

"How are we going to do that?"

"Maybe her sister can get her to confess to the murders."

"It's worth a try, boss."

Rachel glances at her screen. "There's one problem with that idea."

"What's that?"

"She lives in Missouri."

"It looks like we're going on a road trip then."

***

Granny and Jackie see their victim walking to his car when they pull up to the liquor store. The area was completely deserted except for the junk heap he calls a car.

"There he is," Jackie excitedly opens her door.

Realizing she's about to bolt, Granny slams on her brakes. The stupid idiot almost got herself killed. "You can't take care of him here."

Jackie turns towards Granny. "And why not?" she demands.

"There are too many cameras in this area." Granny points them out.

"Why did you take me here if I can't do anything to him?" Aggravated, Jackie slams her door closed.

"You'll see." Smiling, she drives away.

A little farther down, Granny pulls to the shoulder of the road. "What do you think about this spot?"

Jackie looks around. "It's pretty secluded."

"A perfect spot for murder don't you think?"

"I suppose."

"I'm going to flag him down. When he stops to help, I want you to sneak up behind him and hit him in the back of his head."

"I'm doing this one on my own, right?"

"If that's what you want, dear."

"It is."

***
"We made a trip to Blue Eye for nothing." Joe slams his hands against the dash.

"I didn't know she's at our rehab facility, Joe."

"You had no way of knowing."

 An ornery smile creeps across her face. "It doesn't have to be a futile trip."

"How do you figure?" he asks as he turns towards her.

"We couldn't do this at the station." She reaches over and kisses him.

"That made it all worthwhile." Joe smiles, kissing her again. His cell vibrates across his dash as he pulls her in close.

Rachel reluctantly pulls away. "Shouldn't you get that?"

"I'm sure it'll keep." He kisses her again. "Have I told you how beautiful you are?" he asks as he strokes her face. He leans in for another kiss when Rachel's phone rings.

"Something is going on." Taking her cell from her pocket, she answers it. "Rachel... He's right beside me Jerry, why? Hold on a second." She presses a key on her phone pad. "You're on speaker."

"We just found another body at the Shamrock. It looks like it's the same MO. I have forensics at the scene and uniforms interviewing their guests. We're also looking at their security footage. Is there anything else you want me to do, boss?"

"It sounds like you've got it all covered. If I didn't know better, I'd think you're gunning for my job."

"Not at all, boss, I'm just doing like you taught me."

"Well, keep up the good work."

"I will, sir. Oh, and the guys want me to congratulate you and Rachel on your upcoming wedding." Jerry laughs.

Joe sneers as his passenger, Rachel chuckles. "You're not one bit funny, Jerry."

"The guys think I am."

Joe hears cackling in the background. "See you soon, smartass." Hanging up her phone, he turns towards Rachel. "Your time is coming, you Sharon and Jerry's."

Rachel laughs again.

***

The victim is motionless on the cold hard ground. Blood is gushing from every pore in his body as he scarcely hangs on to life. Granny is watching from the sidelines as Jackie continues to tear into the defenseless man.

"That's for raping your wife and daughters," Jackie says as she slams the cane down on his ribs. "This is for what you did to me." Childhood memories come flooding back as she continues to pound on his bloody flesh.

Granny hears police sirens in the distance; she turns to see red and blue lights flash across the sky. We've got to get out of here.

Running to where Jackie's standing, Granny grabs a hold of her arm. "We've got to leave, now."

Jackie pulls away. "I'm not done yet." She starts to swing again; Granny grabs a hold of her cane. "The police are coming." Granny points down the road.

Bending down, Jackie spits in his face. "Now I'm done."

"I'd say you are." Granny smiles.

___ 
 

Characters
Granny, the killer, lives in assisted living after losing her family, being injured by a drunk driver. 
Matilda lives in assisted living. She just lost her grandson to a drunk driver.
Marge, Matilda's friend.
Liz and Lisa nurses at the facility.
Nancy, nursing assistant
Jackie waitress at the dinner, Granny's partner in crime.
Stinky, Rachel's pet skunk.

Berryville PD
Joe, Sergeant
Jerry, Detective
Rachel, Detective
Jeff, Detective
Kirk Forensic analysis
Sharon, Medical Examiner



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.