Romance Fiction posted July 1, 2018 Chapters:  ...82 83 -84- 85... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shana learns more about Anderson.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Sechsundzwanzig Part eins

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Michael opened the door. "Ready to eat? Your grandpa is starting to pace."

Standing, Anderson took Shana's hand. "We're good." His eyes met hers. "Right?" She nodded and he said, "Later we need to discuss the bag Jeff brought with him."

Her eyes widened. "What bag?"

Anderson put his arm around her shoulders. "Don't play dumb. You know exactly what bag. The one containing the clothes I bought you in New York."

"I didn't know he brought it. Besides I couldn't accept them. I can't repay you. That's the reason I left them."

"I never expected you to repay me. They were a gift."

"But..."

He faced her. "I didn't expect to be repaid. I had no motive. I don't expect or want anything in return. Please just accept them with the intent I meant. Is that so hard?"

Shana swallowed and blinked a few times.

Anderson took her in his arms. "I'm sorry. I guess I'm more tired and stressed than I thought. I didn't mean to snap. Will you accept my apology?"

"Of course."

He hugged her and whispered in her ear, "Thank you."


TODAY'S POST:

When Anderson and Shana entered the dining room, Leon said, "One good thing came from tonight, I'm sure the brisket's done." He glanced in Shana's direction. "Most of the time, Michael takes it off the grill way too early."

"Don't listen to him, Shana. It's always done to perfection." Michael teased, "It may be a little dry now."

"I'm sure it'll be delicious." Shana smiled.

Grandma Sharp reached for her husband's hand. "Hush Leon, and bless the food. We're all hungry, dinner's a few hours late." He waited until everybody held hands before he said the blessing.

They passed the food, and Zachery asked, "Grandpa, I heard something about you and Grandma taking a last minute trip?"

Leon pointed his fork at his grandson. "You heard right. News sure travels fast. About thirty minutes ago, we contacted some friends we play pinochle with. About a month ago, they mentioned a distant relative who had paid for a cruise to Alaska and his wife's not doing too well and in the hospital. They can't go and it's a nonrefundable trip. They've been searching for volunteers to take their place. Everything's under their name."

He passed the potato salad to Shana. "At first we weren't interested but since we have to stay under lock and key we might as well help them. We'll repay them in cash and take it off their hands. There won't be a paper trail. Nobody will know where to find us. Jeff agreed to help us get to Corpus. From there we'll travel to Galveston and get on the cruise liner. We'll leave right after breakfast." He glanced at Anderson. "We'll be back in time for the wedding."

Anderson studied his plate as he ignored his grandpa.

"How will you pack for this trip?" asked Shana.

"Michael keeps enough cash lying around that we'll buy things as we need them."

Shana gulped. "I see."

Zachery winked. "Having money has its perks."

*****
After dinner and once the dishes were finished, everybody settled in the living room. Shana shared the information with Anderson from Hannah's phone call.

Leon left and returned with two large, leather cases. "I think we need to lighten the atmosphere. Drew's arm will heal and the good guys won. We came for a celebration so let's celebrate. We can't let this get us down. We need to praise God that everything turned out as well as it did."

He opened a case and handed an acoustic guitar to Anderson. "I helped myself to your guitar. Hope you don't mind?" Anderson took the guitar, and Leon continued, "We need to hear an old fashioned praise song."

"I didn't know you played the guitar?" Shana's eyes widened.

Anderson picked the strings. "I've told you there's a lot about me you don't know."

"I guess you're right." Shana smiled.

"Mom, back up?" Anderson waited for Susan to sit at the piano before he played and sang. Susan quickly joined with music. Soon everyone sang along as they tapped their feet.

After the song ended, Grandma smiled. "Drew?"

"I know your favorite praise song. It was the first song I could play well." Anderson moved closer to his mom. "You ready?"

Susan played, and Anderson joined in and sang.

As the song ended, Zachery stood. "Be right back." Moments later, he returned and held up his guitar. "Gramps, get your fiddle ready. If we're going to do this, we need to do it right," he said as he stroked the strings of the guitar and began to sing.

Michael took his mom's arm. "Ready?" he asked. After she joined him, they began the Texas Two-Step.

Jeff walked over to Shana. "I guess that leaves you and me. Everybody else is busy."

"I don't know how to two-step."

"I know how to lead." He grinned.

Shana glanced at Anderson. After he motioned for her to join in, she took Jeff's hand. "Okay."

Song after song continued, until Zachery tilted his head. "Drew, I think you need to dance with your lady. Jeff, join in with the singing."

"She's not my lady." Anderson faced his brother.

As Jeff shook his head and stepped away, Anderson took Shana's hand and asked, "Do you mind?"

"Of course not." She cuddled into Anderson's arms.

Zachery strummed the guitar. "She's definitely your lady." He began to sing.

When the song ended, Anderson stepped back. "Excuse me."

Shana watched Anderson walk away. Tears rolled down her cheeks, and she said under her breath. "That song was too personal. Zack did it on purpose, didn't he?"

Jeff glanced at Zack. "Probably."

"I've hurt him."

Jeff whispered, "Little lady, I think you need to go after him."

"What should I say?"

"Speak from the heart."

"I can't. A relationship with Drew isn't allowed." Her eyes met Jeff's.

He motioned her to go. "You'll find the words."



I feel Shana captured Anderson's heart from Hello.

Thank you Kenny Chesney - - You Had Me From Hello








Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back
Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells
Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits
Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.
Helen -- Anderson's cook
Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper
Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend
Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker
Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd
Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd
Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd
Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother
Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.
Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife
Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter
Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.
Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.
Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.
Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator
Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father
Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother
Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting
Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria
Mary Pritchard -- The lady Anderson hired to help Hannah while she's in Boston with Sarah.
Zachery Sharp -- Anderson's younger brother
Michael Sharp -- Anderson's father
Susan Sharp --Anderson's mother
Leon Sharp - - Anderson's grandfather
Grandma Sharp - - Anderson's grandmother
Detective Rollins - - Austin police detective



Recognized


An additional note: Because I post each chapter into two or three, sometimes four parts, reviewers forget a few things. At the beginning of all of this mess, the family was preparing for a barbecue. It got interrupted by the attack on Anderson. We are still trying to get to dinner.

Thank you Google Images for an image of a quote about families. One of the reasons Anderson came back to Texas was because Shana reminds him of what's important in life and wanted to be grounded. He didn't like the New York City life style. Thank you for all the support you give my writing.

I'm leaving Thursday on vacation. I'm spending time with family back in the Midwest. My oldest son and his family just returned from a tour of Germany, he's active duty Army, and my third son and his wife just had their first baby, a girl, Charlotte Simone. I will also get to see my second son and his family and my 86 year old mom. I'm all excited. I will post when I can. At Mom's there's no Internet. I know that's strange in 2018, but true.

Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.