Fantasy Fiction posted June 29, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Chapter 4 Footprints contest entry

Missing Riders

by w.j.debi


"Where is Lady Amira?"

Stephan flinched. Lord Silvanus was at the other end of the bailey, but he had a voice wtih penetrating authority that carried across any space. Stephan took a deep breath and released it slowly to calm himself as he continued attending to the harness he was cleaning. Silvanus' firm footfalls crunched in his direction.

"Stephan?"

Stephan turned and made a slight bow. "Yes, Lord Silvanus? How may I be of assistance?"

"Do you know where Lady Amira is?"

"She did not specify where she was going, but she and Cerin often ride their horses to the Forgotten Springs."

Lord Silvanus drew in a sharp breath and Stephan could swear his lordship's lips moved in a silent curse. Silvanus looked in the direction of the bailey gates. "I guess I can't blame Amira. I know I coveted my free time at her age." He looked back at Stephan. "Did they say when they would return?"

"By sunset, my lord." Stephan glanced at that sun. "That would be about an hour from now." Stephan felt a knot growing in his stomach. I had counted on at least that long and probably another hour before anyone realized the girls were missing and launched a search. So why is his lordship here now? "Is there a problem, my lord?"

Lord Silvanus shook his head. "No." He sighed. "It's just a feeling..."

At that moment the sound of hooves pounding toward them drew everyone's attention to the two steeds entering the gate. A hush fell over the bailey. Gallant and Storm were without their riders.

A moment later everyone sprang into action. Lord Silvanus was the first to reach the steeds and Stephan was only two steps behind him, catching hold of Storm at the same instant Lord Silvanus grabbed the reins of Gallant's bridle. In one fluid motion, Silvanus reached for a scroll attached to Gallant's saddle, breaking the cords that held it in place as he pulled it toward him. He tossed Gallant's reins in Stephan's direction and unrolled the scroll.

"What does it say, my lord?" a gruff voice asked at Silvanus' elbow.

Silvanus turned to his personal bodyguard who was also captain of the guard. "It says, 'I have my daughter, the Princess of These Lands. L'"

"Queen Lusttra." The captain pursed his lips. "Then you ride as King of These Lands?"

"Yes. It will anger Lusttra to do otherwise."

"Why would the queen take Lady Amira now?"

"Call her Princess Amira until we get her back. And as to the reason..." Silvanus shook his head. "Amira is coming of age. Suitors will be appearing soon. Or it could be something to do with the magic, or even Amira's heritage as Princess of These Lands, or..." there was a slight catch in his voice, "her birthmark." He paused to take a deep breath. "Whatever the reason, we need to get her back as quickly as possible."

Stephan noted that Lord Silvanus unconsciously touched his signet ring. He wondered if it were true that Silvanus had a miniature of Queen Lusttra, his true love, in that ring. Stephan had often wondered if the feelings were genuine or involved some magic that queen had conjured for her own purposes.

Seemingly unaware of the groom still standing there with the horses, Silvanus addressed his captain of the guard. "Put the castle on alert. Double the guard. I want the sentries from the Order of the Sacred Heart mounted and ready to ride within twenty minutes. They're the only ones trained to deal with Lusttra and her small folk, and tell them I go as King of These Lands. And find that Lilliputian ambassador. It's time he earned his keep."

"Yes, your lordship, I mean, your majesty." The captain turned and started shouting orders to his subordinates, sending a flurry of activity in various directions.

Lord Silvanus stood lost in thought, staring at the ground. "Lusttra. How could you?"

"Excuse me, Lord Silvanus. Should I prepare Gallant and Storm to go with you?"

Silvanus looked at the groom. "No Stephan. Put them in their stalls."

Stephan watched Lord Silvanus head to the stall of his favorite horse. Silvanus would prepare his own mount. He always did.

Gallant tugged at his rein and Stephan turned to pat the horse. He spoke softly to the animal. "It's alright, boy. Lord Silvanus will get Amira back." He sighed regretfully. "I only did what I had to do. Queen Lusttra better honor her pledge that no harm will come to Amira." Then he led Gallant and Storm to the stable to give them a good rubdown and stable them for the night.



King Silvanus knelt to look at the thousands of tiny of footprints on the path and gritted his teeth. It was a good thing they had some daylight left or they might have missed some of the obvious signs that indicated that two girls had put up a fight and were overcome by a great number of attackers. Magic was used, no doubt, but also tiny arrows. Silvanus warned his guards to leave the small darts untouched; they could be poisonous. The arrows left behind were few in number; they were difficult to make and the Lilliputians usually retrieved them for reuse. Silvanus stood and looked in the direction of the path ahead. "Lusttra, you'd better not harm our daughter."



Amira moaned and opened her eyes. Her vision was blurry and her head hurt. Out of reflex she reached for the sword at her hip, but the scabbard was empty. She left her hand resting on her stomach.

"Always on guard. I see your father taught you well. I knew he would."

Amira turned her head toward the voice. Standing next to her was a one-foot figure looking down into her eyes. "Hello, Mother." Amira looked around into the gloom. She could make out a few other Lilliputians, but the light was too dim to see much so she looked into the darkness above her. She couldn't see any stars so they must be inside. "Where am I?"

"You are home."

Amira huffed. "Then where is my father?"

"No doubt on his way." Queen Lusttra prodded her daughter on the cheek.

"Ouch." Amira turned her head to glare at Lusttra.

"That's better." Lusttra came nearer. "You will find movement difficult for now, my dear one, but you don't really need to move much. What we need to do is talk."

"Talk? About what?"

"Well, there are many things you don't know, but right now, Princess Amira, I need your help to save the people of These Lands."

"How am I supposed to do that? And why should I? They only thing I know about you is that Father loved you very much and you left him and me."

"My people needed me,"

"So did we."

Lusttra smirked. "You ask how you can help. You have no doubt wondered about your birthmark. It indicates you have special powers, powers that can be used to do much good if you choose to use them."

"And if I choose not to use them?"

"Oh, I think you will." Queen Lusttra turned to her right. "Marta, bring me the crystal please."

Once Lusttra had the crystal she waved her hand over it and said a few words that Amira did not understand. Amira felt the birthmark on the back of her neck growing warmer and light seemed to seep into the darkness from it. Amira noticed a similar glow coming from the back of Lusttra's neck.

"Now," said Queen Lusttra, "let's talk."

~~~~~



Footprints contest entry


FANTASY WRITERS WE NEED YOU. PLEASE JOIN THIS CONTEST.

Click on the Footprints contest link to read chapters 1 & 3.
Chapter 2 is no longer available, but what you need to know from chapter 2 is that Amira and Cerin find thousands of footprints on the path. Cerin attempts to protect Lady Amira, but is overcome by drugged darts shot at her by the little people. Amira recognizes the leader of the small people as her mother who left to return to her people when Amira was a baby. Amira's father has a picture of this woman in his signet ring because she is his one true love.

Characters introduced by F. Wehr3:
Amira-Thirteen-year-old noble girl.
Cerin- Amira's guardian from the the Order of the Sacred Heart (Age not listed, but my thoughts were she's close in age, but taller and stronger).
Gallant- Amira's horse
Storm-Cerin's horse
Stephan-20 years old, stable hand. He may have a benign appearance, but could be used for something nefarious.

Characters introduced by robyn corum
Lusttra -- queen of the little people
Marta -- Lusttra's general

Characters introduced in this chapter
Silvanus -- Amira's father
Pays one point and 2 member cents.

Artwork by eileen0204 at FanArtReview.com

Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. w.j.debi All rights reserved.
w.j.debi has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.