Mystery and Crime Fiction posted June 28, 2018 Chapters:  ...12 13 -14- 15... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Granny goes after her family's killer

A chapter in the book Granny's Revenge

Justice for All.

by Mistydawn



Summary
Matilda just lost her Grandson to a drunk driver.
Granny is getting ready to kill her fourth victim when a group of people stumbles out of the bar. She flees, leaving one victim alive. He dies in a hospital, mumbling Granny. Everyone believes he's talking about his own relative and not the killer. Granny tries to stop a drunk in the park. A cop sees what she's doing and arrests her. She talks herself out of trouble then receives an award for taking down the Nanny Bandit. A waitress catches her; she decides to make her a partner. A nurse sees blood on her dress. Granny explains, there was an accident at the park.

The Berryville detectives find a dozen victims in the alley and ID's a lady who's arguing with one of the victims. They bring her to the station. The police found bloody clothes, wig and the murder weapon in Matilda's things
____

Granny sees everyone scurrying around when she glances in the hall. The noise has become so thunderous that she's finding it difficult to read. There is no sense in trying in all this commotion. Laying her worn novel aside, she glances around the room. I might as well finish packing my things, she thinks, taking knick-knacks off the shelf. Her and Nancy's conversation replays in her mind as she carefully wraps her belongings.

"Sometimes I think the boys would be better if I relinquished my custody to him," Nancy tearfully replies as she moves the food around on her plate. She claimed she was hungry but, she has yet to take a bite.

"Relinquish your custody, why on earth would you even think about such a thing?" Granny questions.


Nancy's eyes start tearing up. "He could give them everything they need; private schools, nice clothes, opportunities that I can't afford." Seeing the disapproval in Granny's eyes she continues, "I don't want to, Granny, believe me, I don't, but I don't want my babies to do without because of me. Besides, if I give them up willingly, they wouldn't have to go to court and that'd be a lot better for them," she blubbers, grabbing a tissue from the box.

"Why would they have to go to court?"

"Barry threatened to file for custody if I didn't sign them over. I don't want the boys to have to go through that, but I don't want to give them up either. I don't know what to do, Granny, I don't know what to do," she sobs, as she lays her head on Granny's shoulder. "I know it's selfish to want to keep them, but they're my world, my everything. They're the reason I'm alive; I just can't let them go."


Granny put's her arms around the shaken women. "There, there, child, it'll be alright," she soothes.

Nancy wraps her arms around Granny's middle as she moves in closer. "How can it be alright if my babies are snatched away?"

"You do realize that you're entitled to half of Barry's money once your divorce is final, right?"


"I would be if I hadn't signed a darned prenuptial."

"You signed a prenup?" Granny asks.


She glances up at Granny. "I was a young, dumb teenager madly in love. I didn't know what I was doing, or that it'd turn out this way. What am I going to do, Granny, what?" she sobs, laying her head on Granny's chest.

"When are you supposed to sign those papers?"

"I'm supposed to meet with his lawyer first thing in the morning," she bawls.

"Your lawyer will be there too, right?"


"I can't afford a lawyer. They want a five hundred dollar retainer and I don't have that kind of cash."

"Don't go tomorrow."

Nancy springs up in her seat. "Won't I get into trouble?"

"Not if the meeting is with his lawyers and not the court."


"It is."

"Good, I want you to call and say you have an emergency and that you'll reschedule in a few days. That'll give me time to get a hold of my lawyer; see if he can represent you."

"I can't pay him."


"You let me worry about that, you just call and cancel."

"Are you sure?"

"I figure it's the least I can do after all you've done for me."

"Thank you, Granny, thank you so much," she says, hugging her.


I'm going to see to it that her meeting never takes place. Gathering her things, Granny heads towards the door. She sees Nancy hard at work when she glances down the hall. Granny is about to make your life a whole lot easier, child, a whole lot easier, she thinks as she tiptoes towards the back door.

***

Jerry and Jeff decide to go back to the Big Dipper; see if they can find something that'll help them with their case. The day is unseasonably hot and muggy; the high humidity intensifies the sweltering day.

"What's wrong with this damn air?" Jerry grumbles. He feels an icy stream hit his hand when he places it on the vent. 


"Maybe this will help." Jeff cranks his AC on high.

"I don't think anything will help with this heat." He takes a handkerchief from his pocket and wipes the sweat from his brow.

"Being this hot so early, I'd say we're in for another sultry year."


You're probably right about that, Jerry thinks, glancing towards the blazing sun.

They see the cafe is packed when they step through the door. The waitresses are scurrying to and fro while bussers quickly clear the tables. An older, distinguished gentleman is barking orders from the counter.

"You talk to the waitresses, I'll talk to the owner," Jerry shouts over the racket.


Nodding in agreement, Jeff heads towards the wait station.

Weaving around the foot traffic, Jerry finally makes it to the back. "Sir, my name is Jerry; I'm a detective with the Berryville PD. I have a few questions I'd like to ask you."

"I suppose this is about the murders in the alley," he says as he wipes down the counter.


"Yes, sir, did you see or hear anything suspicious last night?" Jerry questions, as he takes a notebook from his pocket.

"No one was here when it happened. Excuse me a second. Jan, number 8 needs you."

The waitress nods.


Jerry glances up from his paper. "I thought you were open 24/7?"

"We usually are but we had to close last night; we lost our power in the storm."

"When did this happen?"

"I sent everyone home a little after nine; I left shortly after."


"Do you think one of your waitresses might've seen something on their way home?"

"They could've I suppose, but they didn't say anything to me. Table 8 is still waiting, Jan." He turns towards the detective. "She has a tendency to slack if I don't keep after her."

"Are the waitresses from last night here now?"


"Everyone but Jackie. She called in; said she wasn't feeling well. She left early last night too; said she got sick around back and needed to go home."

"Do you have a way to reach her?"

"Hold on, I'll get her information for you. They'd like service today, Jan. See what I mean, Detective?"


***

Jeff walks over to a waitress "My name is Jeff Morgan I'm with the Berryville PD. I have a few questions about last night."

"Is this about the murders out back?" She tosses dirty dishes in a tub.

"Yes." Noticing her name tag he writes Leah at the top of the page.


"We had to close because we lost our electricity in the storm."

"Do you have security cameras?"


"We have one out front and another in here, but not in the alley." She glances towards her tables and then back to the detective.

"Did you see or hear anything unusual before you closed?"


"We didn't get the same amount of customers that we usually do, but that's probably because of the storm. I really need to go."

"If you think of anything, please call this number." Jeff hands her a card.

"I will." She stuffs it in her pocket as she heads to her table.


***

Granny is waiting in the bushes, just outside the Shamrock Motel, her ice cane in hand. I know exactly what I'm going to do with you. How I'll take you down, make you suffer the way my family did. She starts thinking about his court case as she waits for her victim.
___

"Explain to us what happened the evening of July twelfth," his lawyer says.


Tearfully glancing towards the jury, he begins, "I was driving home from my pharmacy when noticed a big puddle of water. I tried to slow down, but didn't have any brakes."

"Defense exhibit one, your honor." He hands the judge a picture of the flooded roadway.


"Explain to the court what you did next."

"I tried to use my emergency brake."

"Defense 2, your honor. What happened next?"


"The car slid sideways, crashing into another vehicle." He turns towards the judge. "I didn't mean to kill anyone, your honor, I didn't, I didn't," he sobs, covering his face with his hands.

"Give us a minute, your honor?"

 "I'm fine." He sniffles. He looks toward the jury as he wipes tears from his face. 

"The police gave you a blood alcohol test, correct?"

"I tried to tell them I just had the Tdap vaccine, but they didn't listen."


"Defense 3 shows the effects Tdap vaccines have on blood alcohol tests. I have no further questions, your honor."

"That little stunt might have worked with the courts, but it didn't work with me." She sees him step out of his room. Tightening the grip on her cane, Granny raises it above her head. That's it you damn drunk, stumble my way. Hearing footsteps behind her, Granny spins around.


"What are you doing?" the voice asks.

Terrified, Granny drops her cane.
___ 

Characters
Granny, the killer, lives in assisted living after losing her family, being injured by a drunk driver. 
Matilda lives in assisted living. She just lost her grandson to a drunk driver.
Marge, Matilda's friend.
Liz and Lisa nurses at the facility.
Nancy, nursing assistant
Jackie waitress at the dinner.
Stinky, Rachel's pet skunk.

Berryville PD
Joe, Sergeant
Jerry, Detective
Rachel, Detective
Jeff, Detective
Kirk Forensic analysis
Sharon, Medical Examiner


 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.