Mystery and Crime Fiction posted June 15, 2018 Chapters:  ...9 10 -11- 12... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The cops are closing in

A chapter in the book Granny's Revenge

Evidence

by Mistydawn




Summary
Matilda just lost her Grandson to a drunk driver.
Granny is getting ready to kill her fourth victim when a group of people stumbles out of the bar. She flees, leaving one victim alive. He dies in a hospital, mumbling Granny. Everyone believes he's talking about his own relative and not the killer. Granny tries to stop a drunk in the park. A cop sees what she's doing and arrests her. She talks herself out of trouble then receives an award for taking down the Nanny bandit.

The Berryville detectives found a dozen victims in the alley.
____


Granny carefully opens the large metal door and steps inside. An overwhelming stench of urine and feces hits her, making her gag. I can't wait to get out of this place for good, she thinks. Clamping her nose shut, she heads towards her room. The long, mundane walkway with its bare earth-tone walls and white tile floors make it seem more like a Bridewell than a home.

Granny's lengthy stay at Autumn Hill has been a nightmare from the moment she first arrived. I never would've agreed if I'd known it'd be like this. Its foul odor, bad food, and screaming all night long is more than anyone can take. My only solace is I can come and go as I please; it’s how I've kept my sanity through all of this, she concludes as she continues down the hall. 

Granny was injured by a drunk driver six months ago. It was the same horrid accident that killed her remaining family. After nearly two months in ICU, her doctor suggested she stay here for a while, for the additional rehab. Wanting to get back to her full potential, she agrees.

Granny jumps when she hears a high pitched shrill coming from down the hall. "I can't wait to get back to my quiet home.” Her nightly events replay in her mind as she continues on. "Jackie and I took care of a dozen lushes. That isn't too shabby, I suppose." 

Granny springs back when Lisa steps into the hall.

"There you are, I was wondering where you snuck off to this morning."

"My therapist suggested I walk, so I thought I'd get it done before it gets too hot."

"It’s supposed to be a scorcher today, despite last night’s storms."

"Everyone says it was a bad one, but I didn't hear a thing."

Lisa laughs. "Liz said you were sawing logs every time she checked on you."

My plan worked just like I'd hoped. Granny recorded herself snoring and then plays it back when she's out. “The melatonin really worked.” Granny starts to leave.

"Wait, I have something for you." Her nurse takes a cup of pills from her drawer.

"I can't forget them." Granny laughs as she turns to face her.

"What happened to you?" she asks, pointing towards Granny's outfit.

Granny looks down to see blood smeared on her dress. I must've had some on me when I changed. She nervously glances towards Lisa, hoping to come up with an excuse. "There was an accident in the park and I tried to help him. You know, stop his bleeding until the EMT's arrive."

"Is he alright?"

"The paramedic says he needs stitches, but he'll be fine."

"Let's get you cleaned up before breakfast." She closes her drawers.

"A hot bath does sound nice, but I'd like to lie down instead of going to breakfast; it's been a very hectic morning."

"I imagine it has. I'll have an aid bring a tray to your room, in case you change your mind."

"That sounds lovely, thanks."

***

The sun is glaring from above, promising a hot, muggy day ahead. Birds chatter noisily in the distance, distraught over last night's storm. The sergeant glances up to see six large vultures circling above them, waiting for their feast to begin. You guys can be quite intimidating, he thinks, trying to ignore their eerie calls. Joe notices steam rising from the damp pavement as his crew processes the extensive area. It's going to be another hot one, he thinks, wiping sweat from his brow.

Once their initial survey is recorded, the area is taped off to preserve the scene. Photographs are taken and sketches are drawn before anything is collected. The evidence is photographed, logged in, and then stored accordingly.

Joe decides to do a second walk-through, initial findings in hand. I can't believe something like this would happen in my quiet town, Joe solemnly thinks as he carefully assesses his surroundings. Satisfied with his outcome, he walks towards the ME.

"What can you tell me, Sharon?"

Sharon sees a large, muscular man standing over her when she glances up from the body. With his looks, build and fun personality, many are surprised that Joe is still single. Rumor has it that he's secretly gay. "It looks like all our victims died the same way, a bullet-shaped wound to the carotid artery."

"Do you have any idea what would make that type of indention?"

"My team is still working on it."

"Did you find anything on the camera?" Joe points towards a pole at the top of the alley.

"Someone is checking it now," she says, moving to the next victim.

Opening the side door, Kirk steps out of their van. "I have something you need to see, sir."
.
"What is it, Kirk?" Joe follows the young lad back inside.

"This is from the camera across the street." He pushes play. They see a large man stumble into an elderly woman. Words are exchanged; the gangly man pushes her to the ground. Reaching over, the lady picks up her cane and whacks him in the legs; the man tumbles beside her. Saying a few words, she smacks him again and then walks out of view. Pushing pause, Kirk glances over at Joe.

"What does this have to do with our case?"

"He's one of the victims.”

"Zoom in on her. Good, good, now make it a little clearer."

"I've already tried, sir, see." He shows him a printed photo.

"I doubt if photo recognition will be any help." He throws the picture on the desk.

"It's a good thing I know who she is." Kirk smiles proudly.

"Who is she, son?"

"Her name is Matilda Brennan."

"Matilda Brennan?"

"She's the lady that took down the Nanny Bandit a few days ago." He pulls up a newspaper article and then puts that and the security photo side by side.

Joe moves closer to the screen. "I think you're right. Use one of these fancy gadgets of yours and get me an address." He glances at all the machines.

"There's no way she did this, sir; she's too old and feeble."

"She took down our Nanny Bandit didn't she?"

"She took him down but didn't kill him. Besides, I don't think she's healthy enough to kill that many in one night. Heck, I'm not sure I can do it."

Images of all the dead bodies flash through Joe's mind. We counted a dozen victims, Joe thinks. "I still want to find out what happened, see if she saw anything."

"She's living at Autumn Hill."

"She lives at the retirement center?"

"She's been there since her grandson died. Her doctor thinks that she's too weak to be on her own."

The video of her and the Nanny Bandit runs through Joe's mind. Her doctor hasn't seen her pissed, Joe thinks.

~~~

The nursing assistant knocks on Granny's door and then pushes it ajar. "Honey, it's nearly lunchtime. I thought maybe you'd want to eat?"

"I'm not very hungry, Nancy, but thank you anyhow."

Concerned about her well-being; Nancy steps into the room. "You hardly touched your breakfast. Are you sure you’re alright?" Nancy feels her forehead.

"I'm just tired is all.”

"I’ll have the cook make you a sandwich for later."

"That sounds great, thank you." Granny lies back down in bed.

"Your friend Matilda is leaving today, I thought you might want to tell her bye before she goes."

"That harlot isn't my friend. She never has been or ever will be." Granny sits up in bed. "Did you know she's shacking up with her dead friend's husband? She's been after him for years; since college, I believe. She was after my Henry too, but I set her straight, put him on a tight leash." Granny pauses for a second. "I think I'll say goodbye after all; it's the neighborly thing to do." Granny smiles.

"Don't go stirring up any trouble, now."

"I'd never do a thing like that." She chuckles. Granny sees an officer walk into the facility when she steps into the hall.

"I wonder what he wants. You go on; I'll be along in a minute. You better not be causing problems when I get there," Nancy warns, walking towards the desk.

Granny watches the two of them talk. I hope it doesn't have anything to do with last night. The chain of events flashes through her mind. I completely forgot about the camera. Frightened, Granny runs back to her room. What am I going to do now? I need to stay calm, think this through. She sees them walk into Matilda's room when she peeks out the door. I did give them her name at the award ceremony. A few seconds later, Joe escorts Matilda to the front door. "I finally got even." Granny chuckles. 

___

Characters
Granny, the killer lives in assisted living. She lost her son, daughter in law to a drunk driver. Being severely injured, she's there for the additional rehab. 

Matilda lives in assisted living. She just lost her grandson to a drunk driver.
Marge, Matilda's friend.
Liz and Lisa nurses at the facility.
Nancy, nursing assistant
Jackie waitress at the dinner.
Stinky, Rachel's pet skunk.

Berryville PD
Joe, Sergeant
Jerry, Detective
Rachel, Detective
Jeff, Detective
Kirk Forensic analysis
Sharon, Medical Examiner



Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.