Mystery and Crime Fiction posted June 10, 2018 Chapters:  ...8 9 -10- 11... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Granny has to take care of a witness

A chapter in the book Granny's Revenge

Making a Deal

by Mistydawn


Summary
Matilda just lost her Grandson to a drunk driver.
Granny is getting ready to kill her fourth victim when a group of people stumbles out of the bar. She flees, leaving one victim alive. He dies in a hospital, mumbling Granny. Everyone believes he's talking about his own relative and not the killer. Granny tries to stop a drunk in the park. A cop sees what she's doing and arrests her. She talks herself out of trouble then receives an award for taking down the Nanny bandit.

The Berryville detectives are planning a stakeout hoping to catch the killer.
___
Thunder and lightning continue all around them as the cool north wind gusts through the starless sky; giving the night a chilly feel. Granny shivers as she lifts her cane towards Jackie. 

Seeing the fire in Granny's eyes, Jackie steps away. She nearly trips over the lifeless body when she takes a second step back. Regaining her foothold, the frightened waitress tries again. "Why... Why are you acting like this, so cold, heartless like you've completely lost your mind?" She suddenly recalls what her friend had said about dementia patients. "Why don't we get you home where you can lay down and rest?"

Granny steps closer "I don't want to go home; I want to stay and to finish what I started."

"I think you'll feel a whole lot better if you lay down for a while." Jackie nervously smiles as she steps away.

"Stop treating me like I'm a damn child. I said I want to stay and that's just what I'm going to do." Granny swings her cane through the air.

Jackie glances behind her and sees the restaurant is a distance away. I could scream for help. That'd only upset her more. Besides, I doubt if anyone can hear me over this storm. I'll just keep her talking until I get closer to the door, she thinks. Lightning flashes across the sky, thunder roars soon after as she takes another step back. "What mission is that?" Jackie glances at the body between them. Do I really want to know?

"I'm going to get the damn drunks off our streets once and for all," Granny waves her cane around again.

Jackie remembers reading about a handful of murders in the local paper. That couldn't be her. She glances at the frail old lady and then at the man as she retreats a few steps back. I could make a run for it. A fat girl outrunning a bullet, that's not a smart plan, she thinks, inching back a little more.

"I have to do something with you, first," Propping the cane on her shoulder, Granny steps to the side.

Jackie turns to face her as she continues towards the door. I have to get that weapon out of her hands, but I don't want to hurt her; it's not her fault she's this way. Maybe one of my coworkers will come to my rescue. She looks towards the entrance again. I doubt they even realize I'm gone, she gloomily concludes. "What... What are you going to do to me?" Jackie asks as she backs away.

"You'll see," Granny smiles, closing the distance between them.

***

Joe is fuming mad as he rides the elevator up to the main floor. Wait until I find out who's behind all of this. Telling me we have a break in our case only to discover it was all a big prank. That was cruel, no, that's beyond cruel, it was heartless. Well, whoever planned this is in for it now. Joe sees Rachel in the hall when he steps off the elevator. "You did this, didn't you?" he questions, holding a life-sized doll in front of him.

Rachel snickers. "Did Mr. King of pranks finally get punked?" She bursts into laughter. A group of officers turns towards them.

Noticing his large audience, Joe's face turns red. Now everyone knows I was pranked. Hoping to save himself further embarrassment, Joe quickly barks, "This isn't any of your concern." He sees everyone turn away. Joe steps closer to the detective. "You set this up, didn't you?" He shakes the doll in front of her.

"That's what got you?" She laughs again.

Joe glances around their station; he sees the group of onlookers has moved down the hall. "Answer me, damn it. Did you do this?" He shakes the doll again.

"I wish I could take credit, but I can't."

"Who did it then, who, who?" Joe demands.

"Are you trying to imitate an owl, Joe?" Seeing the fire in his eyes, she wipes the smirk off her face. "Look for yourself." She points to a sign pinned to its chest.

"Oh, he's in for it now. Yep, Jerry is really going to get it this time."

Rachel laughs. "You want to borrow Stinky?" She starts to hand him over; his tail flips in the air.

"That's ok, you keep him." Joe pushes the skunk away.

"You don't want to hold my baby?" She pouts.

Joe glances at the wild creature. "Not really."

"He's really adorable and he loves to be cuddled, see." Stinky rubs against her neck.

"That's alright, I'm good," Joe says as he backs away.

An ornery smile spreads across her face as she walks towards him. "Come on, Joe, just for a second."

"I said I don't want to." His legs hit the bench; he falls to the seat.

"You can hold him better now." Joe leans back as she tries to hand him over. "Don't worry, he can't spray you." She plops Stinky on his chest.

Crawling up towards Joe's neck, Stinky snuggles against him.

"Aw, he likes you, Joe." She sees him nervously shift around. "You'll probably get clawed or, bit if you move too much."

"Get this thing off of me now, Rachel."

"Agree to a truce and I will."

"Never."

"I hope you have fun with Stinky." Rachel walks away.

"Don't you dare leave him on me."

Rachel waves as she continues down the hall.

Joe glances down at the beast. I could throw him off. He'd probably do a lot of damage before I could get a good hold. "Ok, ok. I promise not to get you, now get this damn skunk off of me."

"I knew you'd agree." she laughs as she takes Stinky away.

***
The storm is right on top of them as Jackie continues to back away. She looks over to see a small sapling nearly bent to the ground. I need to get her out of the storm. "Why don't you put your cane down and we can talk about this?" Indoors where it's safe? She thinks anxiously glancing around.

"There's nothing to talk about." Granny inches a little closer. Thunder roars all around them as debris flies across the alley. A weather alarm screeches in the distance.

She definitely has to go in now. "Why don't we go inside before we get soaked?"

"Why, so you can call the cops on me?"

"I won't tell anyone about this, I promise."

"Like I'm going to believe you," Granny lifts her hand towards the handle.

"Wait, wait, I have an idea," Jackie exclaims, as she nervously glances towards Granny's cane.

***

Joe and Rachel are sitting quietly in their sedan waiting for their killer to show. A cool night breeze gently sweeps through their window, bringing a fresh scent of spring rain with it; a remnant of a previous storm.

 Joe sees Rachel is trying hard to stay awake when he glances her way. She's talked so much, she's 'thoroughly exhausted. He chuckles.

Yawning, Rachel turns towards the window.

She sure is adorable when she's tired. I wonder if she meant what she said about wanting to date me. No, that's ludicrous, how could someone so beautiful be interested in me. I would be the happiest man alive if it were true. What am I thinking; this is Rachel, for God's sakes, my biggest pain in the ass. She sure is a cute pain. He pictures kissing her pretty face. Stop it, Joe, stop it; you know this is ridiculous, that it'd never work.

Rachel glances towards him. Joe quickly turns away, splashing coffee across the dash. That wasn't obvious. He starts sopping up the mess.

Rachel smiles. "You were kidding about our romantic date, right, Joe?"

"You said you didn't want a sympathy date with me, remember?"

"Right, I almost forgot," she sullenly replies. Rachel glances out her window and then turns back around. "If you were to... Oh my God, Joe, look."

"What is it, Rachel?" He turns in his seat.

She points at a bloody man stumbling out of the alley.

Scrambling out of their car, they run towards the victim. "We need a bus at Rocking Pig Bar," Rachel blurts into her radio. They see at least a dozen victims spread across the alleyway when they get closer. "Make that two, no three buses. Oh my God, Joe, there are bodies everywhere," she cries.
___

Characters
Granny, the killer lives in assisted living. She lost her son, daughter in law to a drunk driver. Being severely injured, she's there for the additional rehab. 

Matilda lives in assisted living. She just lost her grandson to a drunk driver.
Marge, Matilda's friend.
Liz and Lisa nurses at the facility.
Nancy, nursing assistant
Jackie waitress at the dinner.
Stinky, Rachel's pet skunk.

Berryville PD
Joe, Sergeant
Jerry, Detective
Rachel, Detective
Jeff, Detective
Kirk Forensic analysis
Sharon, Medical Examiner

 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.