General Fiction posted June 9, 2018


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Just thinking out loud

Inside My Bubble

by Heather Knight


I live in an ivory tower. I promise you... I do. Or a bubble, if you prefer.

I guess the bubble metaphor is more accurate, shinier, simpler and soapier. And I usually feel proud of my simple prose, even though I know some consider its lack of adornment a flaw.

I've been a member of FanStory for almost two years now and I still don't understand half of what goes on in here. You might think it's due to my lack of intelligence, but I don't think I'm particularly dumb... maybe I'm not too modest either.

Anyway, I do my best when it comes to the site. I post stories, poems and novel chapters that I think are entertaining and not too badly written. Well, when it comes to poems, those of you who really know about poetry might have a couple of things to say concerning my efforts.

When I review somebody else's work, I always try to help. However, I'm not a hundred per cent sincere, I have to confess that. I only point out the things I like, as I'm always afraid of offending my fellow writers. But I can't help that, I behave similarly in real life. If I like your dress, I will tell you, if I think it's awful, I will keep my opinions to myself. Why hurt your feelings? Yeah, I know constructive criticism is very helpful, but not everybody can take it.

However, if I see a grammar or spelling mistake, I do say it. I usually call it a typo, though. It sounds more polite, I think.

And another confession: I do review to get member dollars, but not only to get member dollars. After all, I need them to promote my own work. That doesn't mean I don't value your writings. I do.

The reason I'm posting this is because I have read some comments lately about reviewing, 'making this site great again'... and they have got me thinking.

I have to thank those of you who have opened my eyes. Very probably, however, I will continue to live in ignorance, because that's who I am.

FanStory is a great site, one that has become a big part of my life and through which I have met a lot of like-minded people.

It's lovely to read different styles, contrast different ideas and realize that even though we all love to write, we do it differently.

I don't know if I will have as much time to post and review in the next few days as I'm starting a Curtis Brown Creative course, but I will miss you all, guys.

Happy writing, reviewing and, above all, living.

An afterthought: I let this 'sit' for a couple of hours and now I'm wondering (again) why I wrote it. One of the reasons might be that I've felt like an outsider most of my life and I feel like that here as well, so maybe I'm explaining my behavior as a FS member in an effort to fit in.

Or maybe I've written it just because...

 



Recognized


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Heather Knight All rights reserved.
Heather Knight has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.