Supernatural Fiction posted June 5, 2018 Chapters:  ...4 5 -6- 7... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Sins of Chaos/A Novel of the Breedline series

A chapter in the book Sins of Chaos

Sebastian's Curse/Part Three

by scongrove


Previously...

After Sebastian refuses to hand over his son to Lucifer, he becomes trapped in a state of unconsciousness and forced to face the forgotten trauma of his childhood. But before Lucifer unleashes his wraith, he rips into Sebastian’s throat as Eve watches helplessly.

Meanwhile, the guard calls for help and Sebastian is taken from the mental institute and transferred to a nearby hospital where Dr. Helen Carrington cares for his injuries.

Now that Abbey is in good hands—protected by Roman and a team of Special Ops—the next step is reuniting her with her beloved, Steven.

As Steven and Abbey finally reunite, she is introduced to the others in the Covenant as they meet Roman and his team of Special Ops and prepare for more allies to show. 


Continued...

An hour later, Dr. Helen Carrington and Dr. Carl Eaves had closed Sebastian’s wounds and placed bandages on his neck. As far as the state of his unconsciousness, Sebastian was still unresponsive after Dr. Eaves completed his examination. Finally, he turned to face Helen and the nurse.

“Medically speaking, I don’t know why he’s not responding,” Carl declared, his expression baffled. “It doesn’t make any sense. He’s has lost a lot of blood, but considering he’s half-Breedline and half-succubus, he should be healing by now.”

After a few minutes, a nurse popped her head inside. “Excuse me, Dr. Carrington,” she said in a low voice. “Three guards from the Napa State Mental Institute are here. They’re asking to speak to you about the patient.”  
     
“Thank you,” Helen said. “Tell them I’ll be out shortly.”

As the nurse nodded and closed the door, Helen let out a deep breath. “If my intuition is correct, they’ll want Sebastian monitored twenty-four-seven.”

“Considering what happened, I don’t think that’s a bad idea,” Carl said, putting a hand on Helen’s shoulder.

Helen nodded and reluctantly stepped out of the room. She went into the emergency waiting area where the guards were sitting. A tall, slender guard surged to his feet, worry etched into every groove of his face.

Before he could ask, Helen quickly relayed Sebastian’s condition to them all.

“Mr. Crow will be moved to the intensive care unit, where he can be monitored at all times,” Helen told them. “As of now, his condition remains critical. Under my orders, he’s not to be released from the hospital until he’s stable. I—”

Helen was interrupted when a woman burst into the waiting room. Her light green eyes were wild and ringed with exhaustion.

“Where’s Sebastian?” she demanded. “I’m his sister. My name is Anna Saeni. I want to see my brother immediately.”  
      
Helen frowned. “Sister?”

****

Valkin Steele poured himself a shot of whiskey and downed it in one gulp. His nerves were shot. He’d been waiting two days to hear back from Gordon Bates, the tracker he’d hired to locate Abigail Winthrop. After she had gruesomely killed Dr. Autenburg and his guards, she escaped the research facility. Now that Dr. Autenburg was dead, the drug he’d developed to help keep Natasha alive before her cancer ultimately took over, wasn’t working any longer. Steele’s only hope was to find the Adalwolf with the power to heal terminal cancer. It had taken years, but now his men finally got a lead on Abigail’s last location. His gut was screaming, and Steele never ignored his gut instincts. He would bet his life Miss Abigail Winthrop would take him right to the Adalwolf he was searching for to heal his beloved Natasha. She’d been seen by the top physicians in the world, had the best treatment money could buy, and he’d been told by all of them there was nothing further to be done to save Natasha. He wouldn’t accept it. Steele would do anything, even if meant taking another life to save hers.  

When his phone rang, it alerted his attention, snapping him back to focus. Recognizing Gordon’s number on the caller ID, his shoulders sagged in relief. His patience had run thin the last few days.

“Did you find her?” Steele barked into the phone.   
   
There was a deep breath on the other end. “We lost Ms. Winthrop’s trail.”  
  
“What the hell do you mean, you lost her trail?” Valkin Steele bellowed. “I hired you to find the she-wolf. She’s the only person that can lead us to the Adalwolf. This is unacceptable. Natasha doesn’t have much time! I want you to get your ass out there and find Abigail Winthrop,” he continued to rant. “Do I make myself clear?”

“Y-yes, sir,” Gordon muttered. “We’re on it now. Our intel has some new information. Ms. Winthrop has been moved to the Breedline Covenant. They’re keeping her guarded by a team of Special Forces. We’ll need more manpower, Mr. Steele.”

“What the hell am I paying you for?” Steele raged. “You’re a bunch of damn amateurs!“

“I’m sorry, sir. The Covenant has involved the council. We’re outnumbered.”

Steele let out a ragged breath and said, “All right, I’ll get you the manpower. But I swear, if you fail me, I’ll make sure your entire family pays the price. And then I’ll make sure you die a painful death. Do you understand?”

“Yes, Mr. Steele. I won’t fail you, sir.”

Steele ended the connection and placed another call. He didn’t have time to waste. He had to find a way to locate the Adalwolf. Natasha’s life was on the line. And Cole Decker was the only person to get the job done.  

“Get me Decker,” Steele bit out. “I don’t give a shit how much it costs. You get him here, now.”  

After Steele ended the call, he shoved the phone into his pocket and went down the hall that led to Natasha’s room. Before he stepped inside, he paused outside the door and took a weary breath. He didn’t want to show any signs of fear or weakness. Natasha needed him to be strong and confident. Ten years ago, Steele instantly fell in love with Natasha when he’d been introduced to her at a business holiday party. He was married at the time to his second wife, and Natasha was engaged to his brother-in-law. Two months later, she broke the engagement to become Valkin Steele’s mistress. After a year had passed, he moved her into his home when his wife had unexpectedly died in a boating accident. Steele and Natasha were inseparable. And now she was dying.  

As he went inside, Natasha’s nurse he’d hired to stay by her side twenty-four-seven, glanced over her shoulder at him.

“How is she faring?” he whispered.

“Hello, Mr. Steele,” the nurse said with a grim expression. “I’m afraid there’s no change. I just gave her a sedative to help her rest.”

He nodded, his lips drawn into a thin line. “Please,” he said, waving the nurse away. “I’d like a few minutes with her alone.”

“Yes, of course, Mr. Steele.”

When the nurse left the room, Steele eased into a chair by Natasha’s bed. He gently grasped her frail hand in his. As he lowered his head, he pressed his lips against her pale skin.

“Valkin,” Natasha said in a hoarse voice. “Is that you?”

“Yes, darling,” he said, swallowing the knot in his throat. “I’m just checking on you. Are you in any pain?”

“Just tired,” she said with a yawn. “But I’m okay.”

Steele lightly squeezed her hand. He knew Natasha was hurting, but she would never let him know she was in pain. She didn’t want to worry him.

“Get some rest, honey,” he said, moving his hand to her cheek. “I need you to be strong for me a little while longer. I’ve found someone who can help you.” 

Her brows clenched, casting him a troubled look. Natasha knew Valkin would do anything to save her, even if it meant trading an innocent life for hers.

“Don’t worry.” He leaned forward to kiss her forehead. “This time it will work,” he promised.

When she began to protest, he placed his finger over her lips. “Shhh,” he soothed. “I promise, baby. Everything will be just fine.”

Tears burned in the corners of her eyes and slipped down the side of her cheeks.

“Go to sleep, my darling,” he whispered, wiping her tears away with his thumbs. “I’ll be right here while you rest.” 

****

As Helen stared at the woman who had declared she was Sebastian’s sister, she glanced over her shoulder at the guards, and then looked back at the woman again. “Wait, did...” Helen paused and swallowed hard. “Did you just say you’re Sebastian’s sister?”

Anna dragged in a breath and ran her hand through her thick, long curly hair. “Yes, ma’am. It is true, although we are not of the same blood, he’s my brother nonetheless. My mother Eliza raised him as her own.”  
 
“But ...” Helen shook her head, her brows furrowed. “Eve listed Sebastian’s twin boys as his only family members. There’s no mention of any living siblings.”

“Dear, Lord,” Anna said, her voice trembling. “My brother has ... children?” 

There was silence, and then Helen muttered, “Yes. Surely if you’re his sister, Sebastian would have told you.”
    
Anna shut her eyes briefly, a wave of exhaustion rolling through her. She couldn’t find the words to explain. Years ago, she had been forced into a Catholic monastery by Sebastian’s mother and step-father, losing track of her brother’s whereabouts.

“Ma’am,” she paused, looking closely at Helen’s name tag. “Dr. Carrington ... it’s a long story. When I was a fourteen, my mother was brutally murdered by Sebastian’s biological mother,” she said, swallowing back tears. “Afterward, I had no place to go. No living relatives to take me in. My father died when I was just a baby. So, Sebastian’s step-father sent me to live in a girl’s convent.”    
  
Helen moved closer and placed her palm on Anna’s shoulder. “I’m so sorry. Please, Ms. Saeni,” she said, gesturing toward a couch close by. “I think we need to sit down and talk.”

Anna stared at Helen intently. Her expression was grim and worried. “Yes, ma’am. And please, it’s Anna. You can call me Anna.”
   
As she slumped into the soft cushion, Helen sat down beside her and began to explain the situation with Sebastian.

****

The sequence played out in a series of seconds that seemed to last for centuries in Sebastian’s unconscious psyche. Just minutes ago, he saw himself as a baby, and now he was suddenly standing in front of the kitchen window that overlooked the back of his stepfather’s beautifully manicured estate. The sound of a child crying coming from outside alerted his attention.

“Ready to reminisce the childhood you forced yourself to forget?” Lucifer asked, his voice startling Sebastian.

Sebastian turned away from the window and looked over his shoulder. “You’re a sick bastard,” he said, glaring at Lucifer. “Go ahead. There’s nothing I can do to stop you.”

Lucifer smirked. “Oh, but there is.”

“I’m not giving you my son!” Sebastian barked. “The cruel memories of my past won’t change my mind.”

“We’ve only just begun. You may change your mind yet.”

“Go back to hell,” Sebastian spat, turning away and refocusing back toward the window.

As Sebastian looked over the grounds, his eyes caught sight of Eliza. She was kneeling before a boy around the age of three or four who’d apparently fallen and skinned his knee. The scrawny child had black hair and paper white skin. Sebastian wondered if the boy was him.

He moved closer to the glass barrier that separated him from the outside to eavesdrop on what was being transpired between Eliza and the little boy. Even though he couldn’t hear them, their affection toward one another was crystal clear. As Eliza soothed the boy and wiped his tears, his features were visibly comforted by her touch.   
 
Sudden dread startled Sebastian when he heard footsteps from behind. When he spun around, he stood wide-eyed, his expression shocked. The hair on the back of his neck rose as his birth mother moved in his direction.

“Mother?” Sebastian said, curling his fist into a tight ball. The sight of her made him want to smash something, but he stood there, breathing in and out, instead.

Sibyl walked past him without even as much as a glance and peered out the window.

Sebastian realized his mother couldn’t see him. It was if he was a ghost, watching his past flash before his eyes. He slowly relaxed his fist and moved next to her. Sebastian leaned against the window frame and studied his mother with a probing stare. When Sibyl flashed a resentful glare at Eliza as she embraced the little boy, it made Sebastian feel uneasy. Apparently, his mother didn’t like her, and the scowl on her face didn’t make a secret of it.

“I regret,” Sibyl said through gritted teeth, “the day you were born.” 

Sebastian clutched his heart hearing her painful words and staggered back a step. He wanted to scream out as she walked away, but knew it was a lost cause. She wouldn’t hear him. The choices that had been made by his mother were irreversible, and the consequences were his alone to bear. 
      
To be continued...
 

 



Book of the Month contest entry


NOTE: This is not part of the chapter. A reference for terms and cast of characters, especially for new readers:

BREEDLINE - A species of humans that have the ability to change from human form into a wolf. They are not like the old legend of the Lycanthropy myth. Breedline species can shift into their wolf at will. The moon has no power over them. They do not pass their ability to other humans with a bite or scratch like the Lycanthropy myth.
The Breedline gene is passed down to offspring that are born identical twins. Although they live among humans, their species must be kept secret.
In wolf form, they have super strength, speed, and heightened senses. Compared to humans, Breedlines have tremendous advantages when it comes to health. Their bodies heal fast and are not subject to illnesses or diseases. The only thing that slows their healing process is silver. It is their kryptonite. Besides old age, a silver bullet to the brain is the only thing deadly to the species.
All males change into their wolf at the age of eighteen. Females do not go through the change until they make love to their Breedline bonded mate.

BREEDLINE TWINS - Identical twins that are born from either one or both parents of the Breedline species. They have a strong, unbreakable bond from birth, are born with telepathic abilities, and have the power to sense the other's emotions or injuries. In some cases, the bond between twins is so strong, that if one dies, the other twin may pass on, especially if they don't have a mate.

BREEDLINE BONDING - The male Breedline spends their life in search of their bonded mate. When the male comes in contact with her, he instantly feels a simultaneous, desirable attraction and she becomes the most important thing in his life. He is there to love, protect, and cherish her until death. Once they are mated, they bond for life. It is possible for them to have more than one mate in their lifespan.

BELOVED - A word used by a Breedline to express the bond to their mate.

DOUBLE BONDED - In some cases, male Breedline twins bond with the same female but one will carry a stronger bond. Usually one of them must sacrifice for the other twin.

BREEDLINE COVENANT - The Breedline species must live within the boundaries of a Covenant, which is only formed with their species. The Covenant is governed and ruled by a head council. The council keeps their laws in order and oversees the species population.

THE BREEDLINE QUEEN - Over centuries the Breedline Covenant is ruled by a true queen. If there is no queen living, the Covenants are governed by an appointed head council until another one is born. A Breedline queen is born once every one hundred years. Her massive stature, black fur, and red eyes are the queen's trademarks. Her alpha wolf has twice the strength, speed, and size of any Breedline. The queen is expected to rule over all the Breedline Covenants where she will be respected and obeyed by all Breedline. This is their absolute True Law.

THE QUEENS RING - This ring has been passed down to all Breedline queens for generations. When the new queen places the ring on, it instantly shifts in size to fit her finger.

TRUE LAW - All Breedline Covenants have an ancient book of laws. If either sex disobeys the Breedline laws, they can be shunned, or no longer protected by their Covenant. If a Breedline takes another life out of revenge, or evil - other than protecting their life, and the life of another - they will never have the ability to shift back human and cast out as a rogue wolf.

ROGUE WOLF - A Breedline shunned by their Covenant for taking another life out of revenge or evil and forced to live as a wolf until death without the ability to change human again. Some rogue wolves form into packs, which can be dangerous for other Breedline species.

RED (BLOOD) MOON - When the full moon passes through the amber shadow of the earth, producing a midnight eclipse visible across North America. So begins a lunar eclipse tetrad, a series of four consecutive total eclipses occurring at approximately six-month intervals. This incredible light beams into the heart of earth's shadow, filling it with a coppery glow and transforming the moon into a great red orb. During this time, all Breedline species that are mated have a strong desire to create an offspring. This is also a time when Breedline females are more fertile for the conception of twins.

SUCCUBUS (a.k.a. CREEPERS) - Creatures that search for, and feeds off the blood of the Breedline species. Creepers are skilled at extreme sexual pleasure, and the ecstasy they create is exceedingly intense and highly addictive. They cast off a scent that hypnotizes Breedlines into overwhelming sexual urges. They use their human-like bodies and beautiful features to control and influence their thoughts.
They have the ability to reach into the Breedline's mind during sleep, casting a spell of dreams about sexual contact, or intercourse. And one much less obvious manifestation of Creepers is nightmares - realistic, graphic, terrifying nightmares that rob the Breedline of sleep. Over a period, it can lead to severe fatigue and depression, leaving them emotionally and spiritually drained. Death can occur if they ultimately take over the Breedline's body.

HALF-BREED - This species is born with the genes from both Breedline and succubus. They can bond with either a full-blood Breedline or another half-breed. They cannot change into the Breedline wolf, but they do need blood from them to survive. With the power to hypnotize, most Breedlines have minimal respect and credence toward the half-breed species.

WICCA (or Wise One) - According to the Breedline species, a Wicca is the goddess of magic, witchcraft, the night, moon, ghosts, and necromancy. A Wicca is also considered to be a demonic spirit. It is unclear to the Breedline if they act under the orders of the devil, or they are simply not understood and treated as outcasts. They can do white magic (good) or dark (evil).

ADALWOLF - A species that has the power to shift from their human form into a beautiful creature, three times the size, resembling half man and half wolf. Born with super-strength, they can move from one place to another in supernatural speed. Their eyes take on the appearance of two-shimmering diamonds. With the power to regenerate their own cells, an Adalwolf will stop aging at thirty. The moon has no power over them. And an Adalwolf is immune to silver. They can bond with any species.

LUPA - The ancestors descended from the old legend of the lycanthrope, except the moon has no power over them and it cannot be passed on to others like a virus. It is passed on through genetics to the female offspring, known as a she-wolf. This type of creature shape-shifts into a therianthropic hybrid wolf-like creature, and is considered dangerous... cursed.

EVE - She is a half-breed and Sebastian's bonded mate. Growing up in human foster care, she spent her entire childhood abused until Sebastian saves her. Scorned from her past, she lashes out in anger, living a life of crime later to discover her twin sister, Mia Blackwood. After realizing the Chiang-Shih demon possesses Sebastian, Eve clings to the past in hopes of reuniting with her beloved. Now that Sebastian is finally free of the demon, she has trust issues, worried he has an alternative plan for their sons.

Sebastian Crow - He is a half-breed, and Eve's bonded mate. After he had been killed by Jace in self- defense, he was possessed by the Chiang-Shih demon after the Angel of Mercy cast him out of Alexander's body. As he tried to portray Sebastian's life, Eve finally figured out his secret. Keeping her captive only to survive on her blood, he later develops feelings for her. The demon creates a death army, determined to dominate the world and unleash his wrath among humans and the Breedline. Now free from the demon, he is determined to reunite with his beloved Eve who is kept prisoner by the Breedline Covenant awaiting trial for her past crimes against them.

Arius and Tidus - Sebastian and Eve's twin boys. Both have inherited their parent's genetics of a half-breed. But Arius carries the mark of the Chiang-Shih demon with the power to create a portal and the ability to heal others.

Steven Pasquale (a.k.a. Steven Craven) - He inherited the genes of a Breedline and an Adalwolf. He was taken from his mother and forced to endure a life of endless, painful experiments by two German physicians; Dr. Hans Autenburg and Dr. Hubert Crane. Without the knowledge of his real family, Steven finally manages to escape his captors, locating his biological parents and his fraternal twin, Tessa Fairchild.

Abbey (a.k.a. Abigail Winthrop) - She inherited the genetics of a Lupa from her mother, who died giving birth. Captured by Dr. Hans Autenburg, a German physician she spent most of her life forced to endure experiments until she finally managed to escape. With no place to go, Abbey is determined to finally reunite with her beloved Steven after they were separated years ago.

Tim Ross - He is a Breedline species and head council of the California Covenant. Angel, his bonded mate - who is a half-breed - has Tim's daughter they named Natalie, after her sister.

Dr. Helen Carrington - She is a Breedline species and a physician at the California Bates hospital for both Breedlines and humans. Later, she discovers Jace and Jem carry a gene, possibly used for a cure to stop the aging process in her species. After Alexander's demon is banished, he is pardoned for all past crimes and welcomed into the Breedline Covenant. When he meets Helen, they become bonded mates.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. scongrove All rights reserved. Registered copyright with FanStory.
scongrove has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.