Mystery and Crime Fiction posted June 6, 2018 Chapters:  ...7 8 -9- 10... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
Granny figures a way around the watchful eyes

A chapter in the book Granny's Revenge

Plan B

by Mistydawn


Summary
Matilda just lost her Grandson to a drunk driver.
Granny is getting ready to kill her fourth victim when a group of people stumbles out of the bar. She flees, leaving one victim alive. She tries to stop a drunk in the park. A cop sees what she's doing and arrests her. She talks herself out of trouble then fakes a heart attack to avoid an arrest. The investigation is quickly going cold for the Berryville detectives.

____
Lightning flashes across the sky; Granny scurries from the cameras' view. Thunder rumbles a short while after, making her jump. The uncertainty of the storm rouses her already frayed nerves. 

"Hey, get back here," the vile man yells, struggling to get off the ground.

She glances back to see the lush stumbling towards her. Excitement coursed through Granny's veins as she continues across the parking lot. That's it, buddy, follow me to the alley. She snickers; she picks up her pace. When she's a fair distance from the roadway, Granny stops and looks around. She sees lightning flash all around her, but there's not a camera in sight. Just the way I'd hoped. She lifts up her cane.

"Is that supposed to scare me?" He stumbles towards her.

"No, but this will." She squeezes her cane's handle; A bullet-shaped object lodged into the side of his neck. Tripping over his own two feet; the drunk plunges towards her; he grabs her arms as he falls. Granny lands with such force, her cane slips from her hand.

***
Chaos continues all around them as the detectives recover from the last prank. Business as usual, Joe thinks as he gazes around the station. The entire crew seems to be occupied with some sort of menial task. Joe glances over at his distraught detective at his desk.

"She got you good, Jerry. A pet skunk in your car, I never would've thought of that one." Joe laughs.

"That was pretty ingenious," Jeff agrees glancing up from his computer.

"Yeah, well laugh it up now, boss, but don't forget she's after you too."

"She'll play hell trying to get me." Joe Straightens his shirt and then reaches for his phone. "Sergeant Bower... You have something for us?" he repeats as he looks at his detectives. "I'll be there in a minute." Joe hangs up the phone and then turns towards his crew. "Sharon says she found the break we're looking for; it was on one of our victims."

Jeff sees Rachel is no longer outside." Are you sure it isn't one of Rachel's pranks, sir?"

Joe turns towards the window. Sharon wouldn't go along with her, would she? The sergeant recalls Sharon's threat after his last prank. 

"One of these days, Joe, one of these days," She warns, as she shakes her fist in the air.

Jerry glares at his partner, Jeff shrugs and then silently mouths, "What?"

Jerry mouths back "That was my prank, doofus." He smacks Jeff in the arm.

Jeff silently replies "Sorry, I didn't know."

Joe turns back around. "You're right, it could be."

Joe grabs his receiver and dials Sharon's extension. "Your fun is over, Sharon. We know what you and Rachel are up to." He puts his phone on speaker as he plops down at his desk.

"I'm not up to anything, Joe; I have evidence that will help solve your case."

"What is it then?" he questions. Smiling, he glances towards his detectives.

"It'd be easier to show you than explain."

"Rachel put you up to this, didn't she?" Joe presses as he leans closer to the phone.

"I don't know what you're talking about Joe; I haven't seen or heard from Rachel all day."

Joe runs his fingers through his hair. Am I wrong about this? He looks towards the window. "You swear this isn't a prank?"

"You should know I'm more professional than that, getting caught up in a childish joke." 

Maybe she isn't a part of this. "Ok, I'll be there in five." Joe gets an uneasy feeling in the pit of his stomach when he hangs up the phone. Why do I feel like she's lying? He cups his sick stomach. "I'm going to take the elevator instead of the stairs, do a surprise entry."

"Good idea, boss." Jerry smiles as he glances towards Jeff.

"My thinking ahead is why you guys will never get me." He chuckles.

"Never say never, sir." Jeff chimes in.

"Shut up," Jerry whispers. He mean mugs him again.

Joe turns around. "Whose side are you on, anyhow, rookie?"

"Yeah, who's side?" Jerry asks.

"I'm... I'm not on anyone's side, sir. I figure it's safer that way, keeps me out of trouble."

"Good plan. I'll let you guys know what she's found." Joe heads down the hall.

Jerry chuckles watching the elevator doors close behind him. "Wait for it." Joe screams a few seconds later. "Never say never, boss." Jerry laughs as he walks out the door.

***

I'll be so happy to get back home, Matilda thinks as she puts the last of her knickknacks in a  box. Her room was small, bland with its neutral-colored decor. Tan wallpaper with brown drapes doesn't do a lot for a person's spirit. Matilda starts to climb into bed when Liz storms into her room. Aggravated, she spins around. "I'd appreciate it if you'd have a little common courtesy and knock next time," she huffs.

"Why did you file a complaint against me, huh, why? I've been nothing but nice to you from the moment you stepped through those doors, catered to your every whim."

They weren't supposed to say anything until I left. Well, what's done is done, I suppose. "I wouldn't have if you'd do your job instead of making Nancy do all your work."

"You don't know half of what I do in a day's time. Besides, it's none of your business how I run the floor." Liz states as she crosses the room.

"Somebody should be concerned since you don't run it right, not the way all the other nurses do."

"Well, unlike the other nurses, I run a tight ship, make sure everything is done right." She stomps her foot in protest.

"How, by running the girls ragged? The poor dears barely have enough energy to make it to their cars on the nights your in charge."

"They shouldn't be in this line of business if they can't handle the work, now should they?"

"Maybe you should take your own advice and call it quits. Now if you don't mind, I need to get some sleep. I have a big day tomorrow." She turns towards her bed. Take the hint and leave

"Are you having tea time with the girls?"

Of course, you wouldn't. Matilda sighs as she turns around. "I'm moving back home."

"You're not strong enough to be on your own."

"I didn't realize you cared," Matilda puts her hand on her heart.

"I... I don't." Liz storms out of the room, slamming the door behind her.

I won't see her again. Matilda smiles as she climbs into bed.

***
Jackie watches her last customer walk out the door. I have a few minutes of peace and quiet before the drunks come in, she thinks, as she gazes around the empty diner. With its faded red curtains and matching booths, you can tell it's stood the test of time. I remember when they had mini jukeboxes on every table. Smiling, she walks towards the hostess "I'm going out for a quick smoke before we get busy." She grabs her cigarette case from her purse.

"Have one for me." the hostess says, unwrapping her nicotine gum.

"You're more determined than I was."

"You can always try again; you know, be the other's supporter." She hands the gum to her.

Jackie pushes it away. "Last time I tried to quit I gained thirty pounds and I can't afford to gain anymore." She pats her rounded belly.

"I feel you there, girl." The hostess laughs as she waddles from behind the podium. "Jenny Craig here I come." 

"I'm right behind you," Jackie chuckles as she walks down the hall. She sees someone scuffling in the dirt when she steps through the door. "You better knock it off before I call the cops," she warns. Looking closer she sees Granny on the ground; a rude customer is on top of her. Oh no, you don't, you're not hurting that sweet old lady, if I can help it. Throwing her cigarette case down, she runs towards them.

Granny reaches up and grabs her cane. In one swift movement, she whacks him in the side of his neck. Copious amounts of bright red blood gush from his wound. She starts to smack him again when she hears footsteps coming towards them. Granny tilts her head and sees the waitress headed their way. Not now, she thinks; she reluctantly lowers her weapon.

"She tried to..." He takes his final breath and then collapses on top of Granny.

"Get him off, get him off." Granny cries, trying to push the man away.

Jackie grabs a fistful of hair and pulls the drunk off her.

 Granny recalls the chain of events earlier in the day. I'll do like I did before. "He tried to attack me, he tried to attack" Granny cries. Tears stream down her wrinkled face as she struggles to get up.

Jackie looks over to see Granny's dress is covered in blood. "Oh my God, you're hurt." She pulls her phone out of her pocket. "Stay put until the paramedics arrive, OK?"

"I'm... I'm alright, really; just a little shaken up is all." Thunder sounds in the near distance; Granny to jump.

"You're... You're covered in blood, honey" Jackie exclaims, pointing towards her dress.

Granny glances down at her clothes."That's his blood, not mine, see." She points towards the lifeless body on the ground.

Jackie sees a large puddle of blood encompass the repulsive man. "He needs help."

"It's too late, he's already gone," she solemnly replies, trying not to smile.

"Well, we have to tell somebody." Jackie starts to dial a number.

Granny knocks the device out of her hands. "You're not calling anyone," Granny warns lifting up her cane.

____

Characters
Granny, the killer lives in assisted living. She lost her son, daughter in law to a drunk driver. Being severely injured, she's there for the additional rehab. 
Matilda lives in assisted living. She just lost her grandson to a drunk driver.
Marge, Matilda's friend.
Liz and Lisa nurses at the facility.
Nancy, nursing assistant
Jackie waitress at the dinner.

Berryville PD
Joe, Sergeant
Jerry, Detective
Rachel, Detective
Jeff, Detective
Kirk Forensic analysis
Sharon, Medical Examiner



 


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.