Romance Fiction posted May 27, 2018 Chapters:  ...77 78 -79- 80... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Shana has an idea.

A chapter in the book Perennials of War

Chapter Vierundzwanzig Part zwei

by barbara.wilkey




Background
Is Anderson a gallant knight? Can he recover Shana's family's stolen relics and heal the wounds of genocide?
ENDING OF PREVIOUS POST:

Shana dried her eyes. "We've already had the Jewish/Gentile talk."

"Did he say it shouldn't matter?" Susan raised an eyebrow.

"Pretty much. He said he'd wait until I realized it doesn't matter."

"Drew can be very patient."

Shana smiled. "I'm beginning to realize that." After she snapped a few more beans, she added, "I just don't want him to be disappointed."

"Hmm, tell me about your family."

"Dad's a civil engineer professor at Bradley University. Mom stays at home. I have an older brother, Aaron. He's doing his residency. Grandma lives with us. We're pretty normal, except we're Jewish."

"Your family sounds as if they're pretty close knit." After Shana agreed, Susan continued, "Michael works in the oil business, I stay at home, both boys went to college, Zack." She shook her head. "He hasn't settled down, yet, but I love him just the same. There are not a lot of differences. Both of you are grounded in rich family love and tradition."

"I never looked at it that way, but you're right."

Susan turned her head. "I think I heard the men drive up. I wonder if any decisions have been made."


TODAY'S POST:

Chapter 24 part 2

"I hope lunch's ready. I'm starving," Michael bellowed.

"We're on the patio, snapping beans and getting to know each other," answered Susan. "Lunch will be in a little while. I figured you didn't want much because of the celebration tonight. Or I should say you shouldn't eat much?" She faced Shana. "I have a terrible time keeping his weight under control. He has a very healthy appetite."

Michael stood at the porch door. "Woman, fix lunch."

"You'd better stop teasing or Shana'll think you're a tyrant."

"You mean I'm not." Michael kissed his wife's cheek and pulled a chair beside Shana. "Zack and Drew are in the den, talking business. They'll be finished in a few minutes. Can I help?"

Susan passed him her bowl and some beans. "I'll get lunch. It should be done by the time the boys are ready."

Michael grinned. "I guess it's just you and me."

"Did Drew find what he wanted?" asked Shana.

"I think so. Or at least he's close. He liked the place on Wild Road but wants Jeff to see it. I think he's flying out later today." He shook his head. "It's amazing how a sweet little thing like you got mixed up with the Russian Mafia, and over a painting."

"I've tried to tell Kuznetsov to forget about the painting. It's not worth all of this, but he won't listen. I don't understand. Drew said he's probably upset because we're getting too close to his business. I know nothing about his business and don't care to know. I just want to get back to normal. At the end of August, school starts, and I don't know if I'll be able to resume teaching."

"Drew said you taught high school. What subject?"

"English. This year we're discussing King Lear." Shana snapped three more beans.

"Isn't he the king who disowned his favorite daughter because she told him the truth?" Michael set the bowl aside.

"He is. You're familiar with Shakespeare?"

"A little. Required reading in high school. I guess things haven't changed much, have they?"

"The classics will always be classics."

As Zachery and Anderson walked in, Anderson said, "Mom said we can head for the dining room in about ten minutes." Anderson moved a chair next to Shana.

Shana stood. "I'd better see if I can help."

"Stay here." Zachery touched her arm. "I'll go."

Shana tilted her head.

"I need to speak with you." Anderson's eyes met hers. "Philip called." He took her hand. "Breathe. It's not that bad."

She sat. "I'm sure it's not good or you wouldn't be acting like this."

"She already knows you pretty well." Michael nodded for his son to continue.

"The security team in Boston stopped an attack before they got to Hannah and Mary."

Shana's hands covered her mouth and moisture welled in her eyes.

"We're moving them to another apartment and adding extra guards. We've also added additional guards to your parents' and brother's security teams."

"Drew?"

Anderson moved closer, took her in his arms, and guided her head to his chest.

Michael left the porch.

*****
When Shana and Drew walked into the dining room, Michael asked, "Drew?"

"We're good, " said Anderson as he held the chair for Shana and then took a seat.

"Let's bless the food. Tonight we'll feast." Susan reached for her husband's hand. "We're ready."

After Michael blessed lunch, everyone began picking up bowls and passing them. Shana sat silently and passed it on without helping herself.

"You'd better eat something." Anderson offered her the salad bowl.

After Shana released a deep breath, she said, "I've decided I'll go to Mr. Kuznetsov and tell him I'm not interested in pursuing the painting any longer."

"That's the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time." Zachery slammed down his fork.

"Zachery Leon Sharp!" warned his mother.

"Sorry, please continue, pretty lady." Zachery eyed his plate.

"Drew and his attorney, Mr. Gaines, have contacted him, but I've never spoken with him. Maybe he'll believe me if I tell him I don't want the painting."

Michael studied his plate and kept an eye on his son.

"Okay," Anderson paused, "I've told you that you're free to come and go as you wish. I won't stop you, but can you wait until Jeff arrives so we can discuss security for this venture?"

"Yes. It seems I've put everybody around me in danger and I need to do something about it." Shana took a drink of water. "I can't sit by and expect it to go away."

"What time do you expect Jeff?" asked Michael.

"I'm guessing around two, but he hasn't called for the jet. So I'm not sure." Anderson took a bite of salad.

As Anderson finished his sentence, Jeff walked into the dining room. "Howdy. I hope you saved something for me."

Susan pointed to an empty chair. "Of course, you know there's always plenty."

Anderson's eyes widened. "How'd you get here? The jet's still waiting for a call."

"Kuznetsov's men were watching so I snuck away in a taxi, and then took a commercial flight, and another taxi. Nobody expected that. Rich people and their friends don't fly commercial or use taxis. They use car services and private jets." Jeff paused and studied Shana. "Little lady, what's on your mind?"

"She thinks she wants to confront Kuznetsov by herself," blurted Zachery.

After studying Anderson's face and thinking about it, Jeff stated, "That's one way to handle it." He paused. "Drew, do you still want me to check that property?"

"Will you be able to help me set up this meeting?" asked Shana.

"I'll help anyway I can." Jeff took a drink. "Just let me know how soon you want to meet."

"As soon as possible. This man is trying to hurt everybody I care about." Shana brushed a hair from her cheek.

"As soon as we finish, Drew and I'll check out the property, and then we can sit down and discuss that meeting. How's that sound?"

Anderson nodded. "Sounds good to me."

"Thank you." Shana took her first bite of lunch.




Characters so far:

Shana Kohlberg -- a 25 year old high school English literature teacher -- she's trying to get her family's painting back

Anderson Sharp -- often called Drew -- 31 years old -- works part-time on Wall Street -- a billionaire from Texas oil wells

Dmitry Bezrukov -- one of three Russian men in black suits

Jeff Burk -- takes care of Anderson's cars and important security details.

Helen -- Anderson's cook

Jane -- Anderson's housekeeper

Philip -- Anderson's butler -- close friend and confident

Kyle -- Anderson's dog walker

Axel -- Anderson's lead German shepherd

Thor -- Anderson's second German shepherd

Romeo -- Anderson's third German shepherd

Aaron Kohlberg -- Shana's older brother

Ivan Kuznetsov -- formally Ivan Morozov, I accidently chose a real person, so I have changed it present day owner of the painting.

Patricia -- Anderson's ex-wife

Emily -- Anderson's five year old daughter

Isaiah Glassberg -- Anderson divorce/custody attorney.

Jeremy -- Jane's second-cousin twice removed, NYC undercover cop.

Hannah Jacobs -- Shana's cousin, the same age and best friend. Married within the past year and just had a baby, Sarah. Her husband, Paul. Sarah was just diagnosed with Tay-Sachs disease.

Joshua Colton -- Art Museum's curator

Benjamin Kohlberg -- Shana's father

Eliana Kohlberg - - Shana's mother

Maxwell Gaines -- Lawyer hired to retrieve the painting

Erich Berger -- Manager of the Dorotheum art auction house in Austria

Mary Pritchard -- The lady Anderson hired to help Hannah while she's in Boston with Sarah.

Zachery Sharp -- Anderson's younger brother

Michael Sharp -- Anderson's father

Susan Sharp --Anderson's mother



Book of the Month contest entry

Recognized


Thank you Google Images for an image of Texas blue bonnets. It's beautiful to see fields and fields of them. This post is longer than my usual posts. I hope you don't mind. Thank you for all the support you give my writing.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. barbara.wilkey All rights reserved.
barbara.wilkey has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.