General Non-Fiction posted May 22, 2018


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
true story contest

Songs in My Life

by dovemarie

I first found out that I could sing when I was 15. I sang in my church choir from the age of 17 - 22. I started singing lessons in 1987, with "Morning Has Broken" being my first recital performance. I was a soprano; one of my teachers called me a "mezzosoprano." I sang some of my poetry a cappella on a CD a made with a friend who lived in my apartment complex. My next recital was in 1994, when I sang "Save the Best for Last." A woman who was also in the recital had her child with her, and the child insisted on coming up to the microphone with her in front of the audience while she performed. My son was 8 years old at the time, and I hadn't seen him since he was age 2. I felt a pang at seeing the mother and child sharing the time together in front of everyone. In 2009, I became a Responsorial Psalm cantor at my church, but the choir director threw me out of it in 2010, saying my voice was changing, "you're having trouble hitting the high notes, you're becoming alto, you're getting flat." All at once she threw that at me, after I had asked her if I could resume singing in the church (I had been recovering from a virus, so I didn't attempt to sing.) I resumed singing lessons in 2017, and sang "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" in December 2017. A man came up to me and told me I was talented. I'm still working on my voice, I try to drink plenty of water, (good for the vocal chords), and I have a lesson every Tuesday. May my voice come back to me, and may I have the thrill of making people happy with my talent.



True Story Contest contest entry


Thanks to cammycards for artwork.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. dovemarie All rights reserved.
dovemarie has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.