Mystery and Crime Fiction posted May 12, 2018 Chapters: 1 2 -3- 4... 


Excellent
Not yet exceptional. When the exceptional rating is reached this is highlighted
The killer is planning an attack, Joe denies his feelings.

A chapter in the book Granny's Revenge

Granny on the Hunt

by Mistydawn


Granny Betty is scrunched down behind a row of hedges, waiting for her second victim of the night. She’d already been there over an hour and wasn’t sure how much more of this she could take. I hope someone comes out soon. She shuffles around hoping to relieve the aches in her arthritic legs. The music gets louder. She looks up to see a shadow staggering across the porch. You just think you're going home. She chuckles. She catches a glimpse of her target, in the bar's dim lights, Granny pauses for a second. My family's killer was a man. A drunk is a danger no matter their gender. She continues towards the lady. 

"Hey miss, you forgot something," the murderer yells as she continues towards her victim. 
The young blonde turns around. "What did I lose now?" she giggles, swaying from side to side. 

"You forgot to call a cab." the killer whacks her in the stomach with her cane.

The lady wraps her arm around her midsection as she doubles over in pain.

The murderer clobbers her across the back. 

The victim falls to the ground. "What did you do that for?" she asks as she gets up on all fours. 
Granny Betty whacks the lady across her butt. 

The lady falls face-first to the ground. 

"Cut that shit out," she yells. Getting up on her hands and knees, she tries to crawl away. 

The killer thumps her bum again, the young lady falls to the soil. This is kind of fun. Granny laughs as she raises her cane. 

"Leave me the hell alone you, old bat." The lady tries to get to her feet. 

Granny smacks her again. 

The victim lands in a puddle of mud. 

"Call me old again and see what you get." 

The victim turns to face her. Mud is dripping from her face and her long blond hair. "I've had just about enough of you." She wipes the dirt from her eyes. 

"This wouldn't have happened if you hadn't tried to drive home drunk." 

"What are you, the sobriety police or something?" She shoves dirt caked hair from her face. 

"I want to save families from going through what I have; losing loved ones to drunks like you." 

"I've never had an accident in my life." 

"I'm here to see that you don't." Moving her cane above the victim's clavicle, Granny Betty squeezes the handle.  

"What... What was that?" 

"It was ice, dear, just plain old ice." Granny laughs. 

The lady glances down to see blood spewing across the ground. A look of horror spreads across her face. "What the hell did you just do to me?" 

"You have approximately ten minutes to make amends. So, you might want to pray fast."

"Please, don't leave me like this, please. I'm sorry, I'll never drink again." 

The murderer continues across the lawn. 

"Please lady, please help me," she cries. 

There's no help for people like you, Granny Betty thinks as she heads towards the bar. 

*** 
A dark, starless sky looms overhead. The leafless branches sway to and fro. Joe and Rachel drive away from the crime scene in complete silence; each lost in their own thoughts. Rachel is going over a list of suspects while Joe thinks about the nightmare he just had. 

That was just a dream; A figment of my imagination, right? Of course, it was. He glances over at Rachel, who is searching through their list of suspects. She is a beautiful woman with her big brown eyes and her beautiful smile. She can be an annoying pain in the butt too. Joe remembers how she irritates him several times a day. How can I fall in love with someone that drives me nuts? Joe thinks back to all the fun they've had at the church social; all the good times they had as kids. She's like my little sister. Besides, I doubt she'd have romantic feelings for someone as old as me. Not that I could ever fall in love with someone as cantankerous as her.  

Rachel started on the police force soon after helping Joe and Jerry solve a case eight years ago. Her original plan was to become a Private investigator, but Joe talked her into becoming a cop.” 

He pulls up to her apartment. 

"See you tomorrow, Joe," she says, as she opens the car door. 

"Yeah, see you tomorrow." I might see you later in my dreams. What am I thinking? This is Rachel for heaven's sake, my boss's daughter. I can't fall in love with her, I can't, I just can't. Joe watches her walk down the sidewalk. Oh, why does she have to be so darn attractive. 
*** 
Granny barely makes it across the parking lot when the bar door opens again. This double murder is going to be easier than I thought. Walking to the first row of cars; she ducks into the shadows and waits. The night creatures hum a lovely tune in the far distance as the gentle wind sweeps across her face, adding to her weary feel. I hope I have enough energy to see this through. She yawns. I think I'll just shoot him and call it a day no lectures or games this time. The footsteps continue to get closer. I wish he'd hurry. She sees the shadow is just a few feet away as she yawns again. You're almost there. The killer anxiously shifts her weight. Three, two... She sticks her cane in his path. 

The man's toe catches on the wood sending him to the ground. "Why did you trip me, huh?" he asks as he struggles to get back to his feet. 

The murderer whacks him across the back, he falls to the soil. "I'm stopping you from taking a life." She pulls the handle. Granny Betty hears footsteps clomp through the gravel as the ice propels through her cane. She looks over to see a young woman heading their way. She glances back and sees a chunk of ice lodge into her victim's neck. She looks back over to find the girl getting closer. I have to do something, quick. 

"Run, Emily, run," the man screams as he tries to get off the ground. 

"That's enough out of you." The killer knocks him over the head with her cane. He falls to the dirt. Seeing the lady getting closer, the murderer ducks behind a car and waits. I'll take care of both of you and then call it a night. 

*** 
Matilda glances up from her book when she hears her door creak open. Seeing who it is, she tosses her book aside. The nerve of that woman, barging in like that. She's always butting into my affairs, and she treats me like I'm a helpless child. Guess a visit from my least favorite nurse is a perfect way to end this God-awful day. "Do you need something, Lisa?" 

"Liz said you went out for a while, so I wanted to make sure you made it home safe." 

"I'm fine, thank you." Matilda reaches for her book hoping she'll take the hint. 

"Would you like me to get you a snack or warm milk to help you sleep?" 

"No, I'm alright." She opens her book and pretends to read. 

"Well, good night then." 

"Good night." 

Lisa starts to walk out the door when something catches her eye. "What happened to your clothes?" She scoops up Matilda's bloody garment out of the trash. 

Why won't you just leave me alone? Matilda throws her book aside with a huff. "Marge and I tried to rescue a wounded dog we found at the side of the road." 

"Were you able to save him?" 

"The vet said he should make a full recovery within a couple of weeks. Now if you don't..." 

"Let me take this to the laundry, see what they can do." 

That's another reason why I don't like her in my room, she never wants to leave. "Don't bother; I don't want to wear it again anyway." She glances at the garment and then at the nurse. "I wore it at my grandson's funeral." She brushes a tear from her cheek. 

"I understand. Would you like me to take it away?" 

"Take them with it." She points to a pair of blood-splattered shoes. 

Lisa grabs a bag from the cabinet and throws Matilda's clothes inside. "Let me know if you need anything." 

"A little privacy would be nice." 

"Yes, of course. I'm sorry for your loss." 

"Thank you, dear.”  





An explanation of how a cane gun is possible.
The cane has a styrofoam/ aluminum foil lining which she freezes before she puts it into her cane. The large pieces of ice are made with boiling water. This decreases air bubbles and increases the time it remains in solid form.
Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.