Mystery and Crime Fiction posted May 8, 2018 Chapters: 1 -2- 3... 


Exceptional
This work has reached the exceptional level
Leaving the cops clueless, Granny plans her next attack.

A chapter in the book Granny's Revenge

Clueless

by Mistydawn


Summary
Matilda just lost her Grandson to a drunk driver, The killer murders her second victim.


The Sergeant and his crew are preparing for a long-awaited bust. It's taken them two agonizing years of investigation, but they finally have enough for a warrant.

"Jerry, you and Jeff take the back; Rachel and I will take the front, the rest of you cover the sides. Be sure to do this by the book; I don't want him to get off on a technicality." Everyone nods. "OK, then, let's go, let's go." Joe orders.

The group is getting into positions when gunfire erupts around them.

"Take cover, take cover," Joe yells, as he ducks behind a car. A shower of bullets pings off the rusty junk scattered across the yard. Joe pulls his weapon from his holster. You're going down one way or another. He locks a new clip in place. Joe peeks around his car to see the shots are coming from a second-story window. We need to find the shooter's blind spot and we need to do it fast. He notices a gunman running up on Rachel when he glances across the yard. "Look out, Rachel," Joe screams as he squeezes off a round.

The gunman tumbles to the ground. Rachel falls beside him.

"No," Joe screams, running towards her. A spray of bullets knocks him to the ground. We can't go out like this, we just can't. "He crawls to over to Rachel. Hang on detective, help is on the way." Memories flash through his mind as they lay helpless on the cold hard ground. His flashbacks brings him to an astonishing discovery. I think I've fallen in love. "Don't die on me Rachel, please don't die." Joe hears a click. He looks up to find a tall brawny man standing over him.

"I told you I'll get my revenge," a voice says.

Joe gulps. "No, please, wait." 

"So long, Sergeant." He laughs.

Joe's shrilling phone startles him awake. Thank god it was only a dream. He fumbles for his noisy device.

"Hello?" ... " I'm on my way, Captain." He hangs up and then dials another number. "Rachel, it's Joe, there's been a murder at Charlie's bar... I'll be there in five and Rachel, be sure to wear your vest... Just do it, alright." He disconnects his call. There's no way in hell I'm in love with her.

Joe and Rachel pull up to see Jerry and Jeff interviewing patrons on the opposite ends of the lot.

Jerry has been with the police force for fifteen years, making detective in a little under four. He decided to switch his military career to the police force after his family's tragic demise. They were killed in a gang-related shooting while visiting his wife's parents in Chicago.

Jeff has been a detective a little under a year. He still has a lot to learn but shows a lot of potentials.

"I'll talk to Jerry, you talk to Kirk."

"You're acting awfully strange, Joe, are you sure you're alright?"

"Just worry about this case and not me, oK?" He storms away.

What's gotten into him? Rachel thinks as she walks across the lawn.

"What do you have for me, Jerr?" Joe asks.

"A whole lot of nothing, sergeant. There are no witnesses, or evidence and everyone I've talked to said they're glad he's dead that he finally got what he deserves."

"Really?"

"His rap sheet explains it." Jerry hands him a tablet.

"Rape, attempted rape, domestic violence, assault with a deadly weapon, drug possession with intent; why isn't this man in prison?"

"They just released him a few weeks ago."

"So his killer could either be one of his victim or a family members?"

"That's very possible."

"Did the cameras catch him?" Joe points towards the building.

"Kirk is checking it now."

Rachel sees Jeff busily taking notes as she crosses the lawn.

"If you think of anything, please call this number." Jeff hands the customer his card. He starts to walk to the next patron when he notices Rachel beside him.

"Hi, Rachel."

"What can you tell me, Jeff?"

"No one saw or heard a thing; said Mitch left a little after ten."

"Did he leave with someone?"

"No."

"Does he have any enemies?"

"It would be easier to tell you who doesn't hate him." He quickly flips through his notes. "They've all fought with him at one time or another."

"It looks like we're going to be busy for a while. Did anyone check the cameras?"

"Kirk is looking into it now."

"Is there any evidence?"

"I'm afraid not."

Rachel starts to leave when Joe walks up beside her.

"Did you find out anything?" Joe asks.

"Just that nearly everyone in Berryville hates him."

"They have a good reason." He hands her a tablet.

"I have a feeling this might be revenge." 

"That's what I'm thinking too."

"Sergeant, sergeant," Kirk yells as he runs towards them.

Joe turns towards him. "Do you have something for us?"

"I found him on camera. It looks like he's talking to someone, but I couldn't see who it is. I'm going to check the cameras across the street, see if they can tell us more."

"Did Sharon determine his cause of death?"

"She said he bled out from a severed carotid artery. She also said it looks like he was beaten with a thick, heavy rod. Said she'll know more once she gets him to the lab."

"So this is a personal attack like we thought," Joe says, as he glances around the yard.

***

This should be a good place to hit. She quickly surveys the crowded parking lot. Grabbing her cane, Granny stumbles towards her second bar of the night. I can probably kill two at this bar if I get them at opposite ends of the lot. She ducks behind a row of bushes and waits. I hope I'm making you proud son. Tearfully glancing at the starless sky, she recalls how it all began.

"I'll kill whoever did this to you, I swear I will," she sobs over her son's grave. He and his wife were killed by a drunk driver on their way home from dinner; Granny, the sole survivor was severely injured. She then remembers the wonderful night of her bittersweet revenge.
___

I would have to pick the hottest night of the year to do this. She wipes the sweat from her forehead as she hobbles towards her victim's car. If the law won't do anything about it, I sure as hell will. She props the hood open and looks around. It's just like what the manual showed. Relieved that her research paid off, she unscrews his oil cap and tosses it in her purse. If one doesn't get you the other will. She starts cutting through his fuel line with her knife. This is a lot tougher than I thought. She wipes the moisture from her face.

She barely makes an indention in the thick material when she hears footsteps clomping through the loose gravel. I have to hurry. She thrusts her knife into the material as she moves it back and forth. Come on, come on. She looks over to see a shadow six rows up. I only need a pin-sized hole. The rubber finally gives. She glances down to see a small slit on the side. That should let fuel escape. The footsteps get closer as she carefully lowers the hood. She turns to see the shadow is just two rows away. I've got to get out of here.

Granny climbs into her vehicle and lies across her seats. He didn't see me, did he? No, he couldn't have. Even if he did, he wouldn't expect an old lady to be up to anything. At least I hope he doesn't. A car roars to life in the near distance. Just a little longer and I'll be home free. Granny anxiously watches as his taillights fade out of sight. Maybe I should stop all the town drunks. It'd be a much safer place to live if I did.
___

Thanks to my new ice gun, I'm doing just that. I just wish there was a simpler way to keep the ice from melting. Granny recalls the tedious preparation. How she has to freeze the cane's styrofoam lining and then wrap it in foil before inserting it into her cane. The ice has to be specially made too. She's found that using boiling water and making larger cubes prolongs the melting time. All my trouble will be worth it in the end. Granny smiles, glancing at the door.


Characters

Granny, the killer lives in assisted living. She lost her son, daughter in law to a drunk driver. Being severely injured, she's there for the additional rehab.
Matilda lives in assisted living just lost her grandson to a drunk driver.
The killer an older lady, out for revenge.
Marge, Matilda's best friend.
Liz nurse at Matilda's assisted living facility
Nancy, a nursing assistant at Matilda's assisted living facility. 

Berryville PD
Joe, Sergeant
Jerry, Detective
Rachel, Detective
Jeff, Detective
Kirk Forensic analysis
Sharon, Medical Examiner


Pays one point and 2 member cents.


Save to Bookcase Promote This Share or Bookmark
Print It Print It View Reviews

You need to login or register to write reviews. It's quick! We only ask four questions to new members.


© Copyright 2024. Mistydawn All rights reserved.
Mistydawn has granted FanStory.com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.